1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason trade targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Sep 18, 2014.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yep Fowlers only issue is staying healthy

Some guys done follow baseball enough to realize we aren't in the offensive steroid era anymore, numbers are different now

2. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Yeah, you're right. Fowler is really good.:rolleyes:

He's a mediocre hitter (.269 lifetime) with little power, and he can't steal bases (nearly 2-1 on SB attempts).

For what he's giving the Astros for 7+ million a year, many other journeymen scrubs in the league could match for far less.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The guy gets on base.

OBP! He is a great lead off guy.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Except that we are top 10 in baseball in runs scored since the All Star Break, and playing .500 ball over the last 100 games . . .but yea

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If only it were 2014 and we had other numbers to determine the worth of hitters besides batting average, HR and steals. Perhaps one day...

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think they'd do it if they could get a swing SS/3B on a one- or two-year deal. But that's a lot of ifs, admittedly.

Key to me is versatility. I'd like to start the year with Gonzalez and a newly-acquired SS/3B at those two positions... with the goal of shifting the new player to SS [and Gonzalez back to superutility] once Moran is ready. This is all assuming Correa isn't ready until mid-2016 or so... if the Astros have a different timetable in mind, obviously that could change things.

We know Singleton and Castro are going to get at least one more year, and if healthy, I like the potential of a Fowler/Marisnick/Springer OF with Grossman as your fourth. So on paper, I think SS/3B makes the most sense for an offensive upgrade... but it has to be a short-term deal. Lot of ifs.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Last time I checked the regular season is from April to September. Who cares about meaningless stats when the season was already over.

8. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

If you cared about this team *you* would, since they're young and learning how to win.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Huh? That's when team improve. The Astros are not "good" but drastically improved from last season and the beginning of this season.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Overall on the field this was a good year for the Astros. They improved as the season wore on and had a number of players develop.

The top of the rotation blossomed. McHugh and Dallas K are both very good. Springer is legitimate. Fowler showed he can play outside of Colorado. Marisnick showed some potential. Jose Altuve exploded.

Also, Altuve and McHugh and Dallas K all have their performances backed up by advanced stats... This isn't Castro from last year.... Hell last I looked Altuve should be hitting 360 in a neutral field.

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dennis Sarfate is killing it in Japan. 37 saves 1.10ERA. Extra bullpen arms is nice.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Moving this discussion out of the game thread:

Based purely on WAR, it would seem we have in house regulars for every position except 3B & 1B.

If we went for a FA LF, I'd prefer Yasmani Tomas.

Possible FAs the team could look at as short-term upgrades:

3B - Aramis Ramirez
    LF - Melky Cabrera
    LF - Nelson Cruz
    OF - Colby Rasmus
    RF - Nick Markakis
    LF - Josh Willingham

I think they will try and avoid long-term deals with guys over 30.

13. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

I think Chase Headley on a one-year pillow contract would makes sense for both sides.

14. Major

Major Member

Can you name some of those?

15. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Huh??? Talk about a walking contradiction. Regular season is from April to September but you don't care about stats taking place from July-Sept?

Whatever you say.

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Well, someone's still salty that his apparently favorite player got traded

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I said I don't care about the win/loss after you already 20+ games out of first place. If they bring the same team back it will be the same results. Spend some cash and add some pop at either LF or 3b. The starting pitching is solid but to compete with the Angels you need more offensive fire power. Just my opinion.

18. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Why do you devalue wins and losses based on our position in the standings? Are teams in the playoff hunt like Seattle, Oakland or Anaheim just letting us beat them at this point? I guess I don't understand your rationale.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep. The Astros are 10-8 in September and all 18 games have been played against teams in playoff contention - that's a 90-72 pace.

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

why would we trade for a free agent?