1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason trade targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree that I wouldn't want to be in a long-term high paying deal with him... but if they can extend him with a team-friendly deal for 2-3 years (within the time frame that this team is either going to be really "good" or starting over again), then you do it. Of course, this implies that Fowler would agree to that... this may be the only chance he has to get "paid", so from his standpoint (provided he feels he won't get a disastrous injury), he would probably be better served going to free agency.

I really don't care about the draft picks anymore... I know a lot of people here like following the minors and the prospects, and I very much still do that as well (especially the ones who I feel are "ready"), I'm just ready to start worrying about major league players more-so than signing (or not signing) first round picks, and the development of them which could take an additional 2-3 years.

If Fowler wants to be a free agent, and you can work out a deal for MLB pitching and maybe a mid-level prospect, you do it.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

but is the gap in defensive production greater than the gap in offensive production? I don't think so.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If you are talking Marisnick and Fowler, yes it actually is. Marisnick posted a WAR of 1.4 last season in only 50 games with the Astros.

Typically defense first is hard to sell, but Marisnick is insanely good out there.

1 person likes this.
  4. edwardc

edwardc Member

Keep Fowler if his numbers are as good as they were this year 10 million is a bargain let him patrol CF like he's been doing .

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]'Astros to zero in on bullpen help'

HOUSTON -- With the World Series having come to a conclusion and free agency set to begin, the Astros plan to be active in the market while exploring trade options to upgrade their club heading into the 2015 season.

The arrival of the Hot Stove season will see the Astros attempt to upgrade at several positions, beginning with their bullpen. Astros general manger Jeff Luhnow has also said the team would like to upgrade at the corner-infield spots while adding an impact bat in the outfield mix.

Free agents/options

Of their three free agents, all of whom are relief pitchers, Jose Veras seems the most likely to re-sign with the Astros. They have already declined the option on reliever Matt Albers, who pitched in only eight games, and Jesse Crain could return, but it would likely have to be on a Minor League deal after missing all of last season.

Needs

The bullpen remains the top priority after Astros relievers struggled to hold leads last year, which cost them several wins. They could use two more experienced arms at the back end of the bullpen to join Chad Qualls, who did a nice job at closer when he wasn't facing the A's. They took flyers last year on Jerome Williams, Albers and Crain, but expect the Astros to pay more for younger arms who are still at the peaks of their careers and not coming off injuries.

Potential targets

The Astros still might not be in position to make a run at the biggest names on the market, but this year we could see them sign some of their largest free-agent deals in the Luhnow-Jim Crane era. They could make runs at proven closers such as David Robertson or Rafael Soriano. They won't come cheap, but the free-agent market for relievers is deep this winter, including Pat Neshek, Andrew Miller and Luke Gregerson. Offensively, Adam LaRoche (first base) and Pablo Sandoval (third base) would be good fits if the money can work.

Trade assets

If we've learned anything about Luhnow in the past three years, it's that he's not afraid to make a deal. We're past the days when younger players like Jose Altuve and George Springer get dealt for multiple players, but the Astros have some tradeable assets. That includes outfielder Dexter Fowler, who could make close to $10 million next year. Slugger Chris Carter is arbitration-eligible, figures to get a huge raise and could still be moved. Catcher Jason Castro is due for a raise following a down year, and he's been dangled before.

Bottom line

Expect the Astros to explore all options to update their bullpen while adding some thump to an offense that relied too much on homers.[/rQUOTEr]