1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason Priorities

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Whether we sure-up WR2, CB2, LB depth, PR or not -- we're still going into the 2012 season as the most complete team in the NFL.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i think mario will be cheaper then his past salaries....

He made a base of 13.8 this past year...i think we could sign him for less then that per year...

I dont think he will make 15+ per year on the open market.... WAY too many injurie issues...

i can see us signing him for 3yrs for 30mil...backloaded of course...

7mil first yr, 10mil second yr, 13mil last yr...

having a cap hit of only 7mil would be easily managable to sign free agent #2 WR and CB...

I love williams and i truly think he'll be back... When you have a three man rotation of Barwin/Reed/Williams that is fantastic...Wade phillips loves flexability and could see all three of them being in on third and long...

Everyone assumes we wont be able to sign mario to a contract and i dont find it feasable.... we dont know how much he is demanding on the open market yet....

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

How crazy does that sound? Just a year ago, we were coming off a completely disappointing season...with a million question marks about the team alongside the looming lockout.

Now, we are an elite team that's looking to add talent to an already stacked squad.

4. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

They had a tremendous 2011 draft and free agency. If Carmichael or Harris pan out to be decent players then either the 11 draft or 06 draft was the best they have ever had.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My guess is McNair and Mario work out a long term deal. McNair is loyal to a fault and Mario knows that, while he might not maximize his earnings here, he is in a place he likes and on a team that is going to be competitive well into his prime. A long term deal won't hurt the cap nearly as bad as a franchise tag would, so the Texans will still be able to shop around a little this offseason. Everybody wins... Unless someone like Snyder throws 8 gabillion dollars at him.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

McNair has always been critical of Mario. Questioned his passion. Not sure how he feels about him. Phillips may have to go to bat for Williams.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Texans 2009 Draft beats 2011.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

When all is said and done, the 2006 and 2009 draft classes may very well rank among the greatest any NFL team has ever had. It's pretty remarkable: Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans, Eric Winston, Owen Daniels in '06; Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Glover Quinn, plus Caldwell, Casey, McCain, and Nolan - all guys expected to be contributors on this team - in '09. And '06 included who we all presumed would be the team's starting LT for the next 10 years (Charles Spencer).

If Yates is indeed the heir apparent to Schaub, then that puts the '11 class in the same rarified air - but we have a ways to go yet.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Not necessarily. Most HOF DEs were productive into their mid 30s. If Mario can stay healthy (yeah I know, big if there) and average 10 a year (basically what he is "averaging" now, even with a few injury shortened seasons) until he is 35/36 he will end up with 138-148, which would put him top 10 all time (based on the current list).

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Sigh...

11. Hey Now!

I'll offer you the opportunity to cite better drafts. These two produced two DROYs, five Pro Bowlers, four 1st or 2nd team AP All-Pros, and seven front-line, team-building starters.

The floor is yours....

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Some of those arent that impressive, like the 96 Ravens...

Ray Lewis - Obviously an all time great.
    DeRon Jenkins - Nothing more than a serviceable player.
    Jermaine Lewis - Good return man, but really nothing more.
    Dexter Daniels - Bust.

Same with the Tampa 95 draft...

I dont know enough about the 50's, 60's, and 70's to comment on those.

Edit:

Also, take the 85 Bills draft with Bruce Smith and Andre Reed. Great picks for sure....but they also had 16 picks that year and really didnt come out with much more than those two. Frank Reich was great against the Oilers, but basically a career back up. Thats pretty much it. Based on the sheer number of picks, you're bound to nail a couple of them.

#193 rezdawg, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  14. Hey Now!

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

No problem. I wasn't trying to contradict. I just googled best draft classes and that was the only decent link that came up. (I'm too lazy to watch the videos).

[​IMG]

I think, like rezdawg pointed out, those draft classes were graded more heavily on team success, rather than individual accolades. So, in that regard, we're way behind still.

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I'd rather have an impact player than a pretty good draft class..... especially when you're missing that one piece...**** depth , go get that fool that will put you over the top... Thats why I would go after Desean Jackson ... **** drafting a WR...go get one when he's available

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

You know how Arian Foster is able to take some of those screens or outside runs to the house for 40, 50, or 60+ yards? Downfield blocking by the receivers. You won't get that with Desean.

Kubiak isn't going to bring in a receiver that can't/won't block.

1 person likes this.
  18. Pete the Cheat

after giving this some thought I have talked myself into going a different route with our first rounder.

Dwayne Allen, the TE out of Clemson. before you roll your eyes and start having flashbacks of drafts past...consider this.

We all know how important the TE is in Kubiak's offense, and this guy is a big goaline target and a plus blocker to boot. Dreesen is up for FA this year, and much like the situation with Leach last year, I think some team is going to pay him more than we are comforable with.

with the value we can get at WR in later rounds, I think this is the route to go.

19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

We're not a screen scheming team though... unless it's a long yardage situation...or we gettin whipped by DLmen and just wanna surprise em.... Therefore that being the reason , we won't go after Desean isn't very accurate... again go get the man that will put us over the top... Gotta go for broke while we feeling good and looking great .. can't take anything for granted ...We , as a injury-plagued , sports city should know this 1sthand...

20. Pete the Cheat

for comapisons sake look at the way Desean handled his contract situation vs the way Arian Foster did. One guy sulked the whole season and underperformed, the other manned up and showed why he deserves to get paid.
    Jackson is a mental midget and an emotional basket case.

do you think the situation is going to improve after he gets a contract below what he thinks he is worth?

do not want.