1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason options: Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WestendMassive, May 6, 2014.

?

What move do you want to see at PG for the Rockets?

1. Offload Lin & Jones, sign Lowry

124 vote(s)
    33.2%
  2. Trade Lin & Jones for Rondo

155 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. Sign Patty Mills with the MLE

22 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Sign Aaron Brooks for peanuts

24 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Other (please specify in thread)

49 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I honestly believe the Raptors should part ways with Lowry.

DeRozan is 24
    Ross is 23
    Valanciunas is 21

And Lowry is already 28, in his prime. Why keep him when they're 3 other best player won't hit their primes for another 4 to 6 years? It doesn't make sense. They should really try to sign and trade him for some picks and or quality young players, they would be making a big mistake by keeping him.

2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Wouldn't mind Livingston or maaaybe D.J Augustin (tho I'd prefer Augustin off the bench tbh)

3. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Floor leader does not have to be our best player when the Rockets won the championships in the 90's Cassell and K Smith were the floor, vocal leaders. Hlding players acoountable making sure players are doing things the right way. On TNT sometimes you will hear K Smith talk about how he in most big play-off games made sure to get Hakeem going early even if Rudy T called another play. That's a leader! A player who gives our team the best chance to win games with his decision making and demand for team execution.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The leader of those teams was a guy named Hakeem Olajuwon...

5. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I just don't buy into the hype that we need a star PG...

Harden is the primary ball-handler. I think Bev is a perfect fit in our starting lineup. His injury and sickness may have attributed to his lackluster post-season play.

I still believe in Lin; he seems to have bought in to being a sixth man sparkplug. If he can have the impact of someone like Manu or JC, I think he'd be worth keeping.

However, I'd happily dump both if it meant getting Lowry back, who is basically the best of both players.

I'm more concerned with our lack of defensive wings and veteran PF.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Pat Riley begs to differ

Harden holds it more than most SGs but he really shares the ball duty, that's why people think Lowry would fit so well, he's not ball dominant, he plays well switching around with the SG and going off ball and he has great handles with minimal mistakes.

#106 Aleron, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
  7. flusched

flusched Member

I like Houston's 3 point guards. I don't think Rondo, Lowry, Mills or any of the others mentioned here are upgrades.

I also like Jones as the PF. He's going to get better. He's a little undersized, but he plays like a 7 footer. McHale needs to have more confidence in him.

Houston needs a better bench, but all 4 of these guys will improve by just getting more experience and used to their roles. Lin, Canaan, Daniels, Asik. If Asik wants to go then Houston has to get a PF, C that can fill his roll.

Chris Finch is being groomed as McHale's replacement. I'm ready for him to take over now.

This current roster should have won it all. The first round exit is because McHale was in love with Garcia and hates to play rookies. It also took McHale 2 games to figure out how to match up with Portland. We played them 4 times during the regular season. He should have had that figured out before the series started.

8. Mr. Space City

kobe and shaq didn't need an all-star point guard to win championships.

beverley would be fine if the other players (and coach) did what they're supposed to do.

9. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Kobe and shaq are 2 of the greatest players to ever play.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Trade Lin & Jones for Rondo

LOL like the Celtics will not demand Parsons

11. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Our biggest problem (wing defense) was ironically the one that ended our season. Hence, the need for a defensive guard (s).

12. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Yeah, but I think Bev can keep an opposing PG in check.

I'm concerned about 2 guards and small forwards lighting us up.

Chances of us getting someone like Ariza? or Marion?

13. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Bringing McHale back without a second thought will be the downfall of Morey.

14. Mr. Space City

of course but we shouldn't rely that much on a point guard.

if harden/dwight/parsons/mchale did there job we wouldn't even need to talk about point guard.

i'd rather have an all-star pf than an all-star pg for this team. maybe if harden showed he can play effectively off the ball i'd be more open to it.

15. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

We need one of these three.

First Choice- Rondo- Has the rings to hold above Harden and Howards heads so that they will listen to a floor general who has won it already. Would come via trade.

Second Choice- Lowry- Won't take no ish from nobody not even his own teammates. Pit bull on D and Tough on Offense. we all know the resume well. via trade

Third Choice- If the Rockets go the Melo route and money becomes a issue at the PG position go Shaun Livingston 6'7 pure pg floor general mentallity, also long armed defender. Can provide mismatches on offense. Him along with Patbev would be pretty solid.

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

RondoNumbeNine

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Possible deal for Lowry i thought of

Lin, Asik and picks for Lowry(SnT) and Amir

The Raptors have no other center besides valanciunas on their team, they could use Asik as a mentor for Jonas this next season until the trade deadline or just until his contact expires. Lin would replace Lowry and they would get a draft pick or two.

Rockets get a much needed, big upgrade at PG, with Lowry. Also get a small upgrade at the PF position with a solid veteran in Amir, who is also expiring next season.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I don't get why so many people are touting Rondo's "championship experience". He was the 4th or 5th best player on that Celtics team. There's a big difference between leading your team to a title and being carried to one.

19. adobo

adobo Member

My bet is Lin stays next year. Hard to get rid of him with his contract. Team direction will be more point guard oriented. Harden to be playing more off ball. I also have a feeling Lin will be starting and their will be emphasis to improve his defense in the off season (his improved considerably from the start to the end of season). This could change if there is a great offer in the table for Lin.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Toronto has no need for Asik, especially since he's a one year rental with a price tag of $15mm.