1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officials appear to have missed key point on Moats' fumble call

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rockets934life, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think Schaub was actually under center at one point. That's how close we were to snapping the ball. Then he got the message to hold off until the 2MW and slowly started walking to the sideline.

2. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

I dont care if they didnt know it was an issue, they knew he had fumbled the ball, and you snap the ball as quick as you can no matter what. Your going to run it off tackle anyways, so why not just hike the ball? Real bad coaching..

3. dream34shake

dream34shake Rookie

Well in Kubiak's defense one from his angle and perspective it looked like the play had been blown dead and moats had gone out of bounds already. And two he wanted to leave as little time possible for manning to lead another drive and go right back up the field and reply with td of their own. But nonetheless a horrible call by the refs as even if there was no good angle where they could see it touching Bethea out of bounds there's gotta be INCONCLUSIVE evidence to overturn the call. AND STOP FAILING AT THE 1-YARD LINE FREAKIN USELESS RB's!! That is all. :D

4. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dead ball, and the Texans should have retained possession.

DD

6. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Houston has been getting screwed by officials for YEARS....this is probably the most famous F'up because it cost the Oilers the AFC Champtionship and a trip to the Super Bowl.

Renfro is freaking IN BOUNDS. After the game, Steeler players were saying that the Oilers got screwed....Dan Pastorni said this last week on the radio.

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, the Texans are officially Houston's team now. They can use this play to counter the Renfro play and the Don Beebe play in the Buffalo game.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We were lined up and Schaub was in position to hike the ball...if the colts were going to throw the red flag, they would have done so before Matt got in position under center. We could have very easily hiked it without having to go through a review.

I do think that we messed up big time by not hiking the ball. We have enough people upstairs in the booth to immediately send the message to hike the ball.

Having said that, our attention and our anger has been geared more towards Kubiak or the officials...rather than Moats. Fumbling inside the 5 is absolutely inexcusable...and Im surprised that he still got carries in the 2nd half.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:( I think it's the right call. I just saw this:

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HwXPnHBNk_0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1&start=57"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HwXPnHBNk_0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1&start=57" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

The defender never touched the ball while out of bounds. Coach and players should have been alert. :eek:

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right....officials should only call the game correctly in the final few seconds/minutes....blown calls at other points in the game have no impact at all.... :rolleyes:

that's beyond stupid...

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

God, I swear if we miss the playoffs by one game, I am going to be SO pissed. Between Peyton Manning and the Colts fans acting is if our defender mugged and shot their receiver every time his Holiness threw an incomplete pass, to the refs giving us the screw job on that 3rd down where they called Barwin offsides (he was ONsides, and if anything, it should have been a false start on the Colts), the GARBAGE call on Eugene Wilson where they called an unnecessary roughness on him FOR PLAYING FOOTBALL, and this epic failure of a review by Jeff "Peyton is my God" Tripplette, the film to this game just needs to be burned along with the Rosencopter game from last year. It sucks so bad that there is NO accountability for referees after a debacle of a game like this. The refs didn't lose this game for us, and I am by no means taking the blame off our players and coaches for a laundry list of inexcusable mistakes, but at the end of the day, we had a chance to win, and you've gotta think that if even ONE of those BS calls goes the way it should have gone, the outcome of this game would have been different.

And to whoever said the fumble happened in the 2nd quarter, so it didn't have an effect on the game, you're absolutely right. The final score was 20-17....I mean, it's not like if you just add the 4 pts we would have gotten on the TD, the final outcome changes much. Oh wait..... :rolleyes:

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My lunch doesn't taste so good coming up....dang it !!

It still hurts.

DD

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i think everyone agrees; certainly in hindsight. i'm not arguing it wasn't the right decision, either - just that it's not as easy a decision as most are trying to portray it. there were many aspects to consider and in a ever-shrinking time frame.

and all along, i've been with you: whatever kubiak should have done, moats never should have put him in that situation.

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Just saw this tweet from ESPN's Paul Kuharsky:

Fairly certain it will be on Total Access. They do a weekly segment with Mike Pereira

15. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Kube said he filed a report with the league. Does this mean that if the refs were wrong they just say they were wrong and that's it basically?

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

what else can they do? fine the refs....whoop de damn do. i never really got the point of filing a report, after the fact. it's not like they can replay the game.

17. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Actually on 1:28 of the video you posted you see Bethea's hand knock the ball lose from between Moats' hands and following that graze it with his other back into the goal line. All this with his butt firmly out of bounds.

But either way, screw up or not, it wasn't the only call that killed us. I more liken some of the stupid calls that converted third downs to first downs for the Colts that screwed us. Granted 75% to 80% were legit, but a handful of them were crap like Wilson's hit on Clark or phantom neutral zone calls.

18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mike Pereira said the call was correctly overturned by replay. Apparently, none of the camera angles could show if either Moats or Bethea had touched the ball while out of bounds, so the play was a ruled as a ball fumbled forward inbounds.

Our bad luck continues in that if the ball had been touched down at the 1 yard line by Powers, it would've been Houston ball at the 1 because Powers had only established one foot in when he touched the ball. Since it crossed the goal line, they ruled it a ball fumbled forward inbounds that crossed the plane of the goal line to make it a touchback for Indy.

Game of inches and lucky bounces to be sure...

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

^ yep I saw that today in NFL total access, he said that.
    damn if the ball didnt touch the goal line, the texans would get at least 3 pts from that, and the game would be in overtime.
    that was a painful game.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i think what we've learned is that the Texans should hire my 9 year old to sit up in the booth and make the determinations on when we throw the red flag. :D