1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Yankees @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 25, 2015.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

What impressed me today with Gregerson is he did it against 2 left handed hitters

2. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Whatever McHugh was doing during his mini slump...he seems to have corrected it. Ball is staying down again and results are good. He has a sneaky 9 wins this year. Awesome to see.

I was on him during his slump. Crow tastes yummy.

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Send some crow to Puerto Rico to eat it, lol

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Some of the best all time "closers" were not all flame throwers.

That's really only been a phenomenon perpetuated when the 1 inning "save" became the standard thanks to Eckersley and LaRussa, but even then there have been guys like Hoffmann who have shown that simply having great location and a killer off-speed pitch can do the trick.

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Tekulve, Quisenberry, Orosco.

But, when we think closer we think Gossage, Lee Smith, Billy Wagner, Mariano.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just got back from the game. McHugh was outstanding, and Correa is legit. He's fun to watch.

There's definitely something different about the ball off his bat. On that error where he scored (I guess they ruled it a double + error?), the ball just had a weird acceleration to it as it dropped.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You heard it here first... Correa literally defies gravity! :grin:

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Best closers for the Astros

1. Billy Wagner
    2. Dave Smith
    3. Brad Lidge (ouch Pujols, ouch)
    4. Joe Sambito
    5. Doug Jones/Jose Valverde

If Gregerson has a great year for the Astros, and has 2 or 3 more years as closer, he could become number 5 in the list

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

seems to me that he has used his 4 seam/curve tandem like last year.

hope he keeps it up.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're obsessed with ranking/numbering guys.

You must love those top 10/best of the 90's shows on VH1 and the NFL network.

11. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Well, to you agree with the LIST??????

12. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

We need to play better. Lost series vs Seattle, lost series vs Angels, and could only tied series at home vs Yankees. Against the Royals, we have 2 of 3 games with better pitching match ups, is important to win the series and go against a struggling Red Sox team in Boston.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd put Lidge higher... maybe even at Wagner's level simply because Lidge's 1.5 year's (mid 2004-2005) run of excellence featured stretches where this team simply did not (and could not afford to) lose... he literally helped "save" those seasons. (plus, the way Wagner left the Astros... and his jackass nature throughout his tenure here... definitely effects my overall image of him).

He also performed well on the biggest stage (and blew it on the biggest stage)... moreso than Wagner did. His perfect season in Philly sort of cemented his ability as a true lock-down closer, as he's one of the few that had the ability to come back after a disaster such as the Pujols HR.

14. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I believe the Pujols homer cost us the World Series. With Oswalt starting the Series at Chicago, i take my chances with the Astros in the series, Oswalt was DOMINANT that year.

I agree with you, but Billy Wagner was just spectacular for us. Now, another name to mention is Dotel.

The thing is, Gregerson, if he continues to save games, and pitches for the Astros for 3 or 4 years, he could be top 5 in the list.

15. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I pray we lock up Altuve, Springer, Correa, Keuchel, McCullers up long term. I'm scared as hell one of these leaves.

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Blame Jonah Peretti.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Always remember Dave Smith had a 3-2 count, bases loaded, tie game, with the mets game 6 on the line and he had to throw a strike or we lose. And he struck the guy out. That was pressure. For him and me both.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Altuve is essentially signed through 2019 (with 2018 and 2019 at the Astros option). Correa is essentially under Astros control through 2021. Should be the same for McCullers (although he might be through 2020).

19. bobrek

<Delete>

20. bobrek

Always remember that Smith came in with the tying run on second and one out. He then walked 2 in a row to move the runner to third where he scored on a sacrifice fly. Then an intentional walk prior to the strikeout to end the inning.