1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series: Astros vs. Nationals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah a long list of guys have come up big at one point or another in this series. but everyone on this team has had the same mindset of team first regardless of who it turns out to be. and I love it

whiskeyred likes this.
  2. Bob Barker 007

Thank you, I needed a new profile pic

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Unless someone truly shines in the game they win. Perhaps they should extrapolate from the other two postseason series. Which would probably give it to Altuve.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If an Astros pitcher gets it assuming Astros win one more, it should be Urquidy based on what's happened so far. Most innings without giving up a run, and started the most high leverage game. Though, I expect who ever performs best in next game or two gets it unless Nats win.

jklb likes this.
  6. AB

AB Contributing Member

Makes me wonder if this will have impact on Tuesday calls.. kinda makeup!!

Tomstro likes this.
  7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The only problem is unless Urquidy pitches in relief tomorrow or Wednesday(should it get to a Game 7), can you really give the series MVP to a guy who saw action in only one game?

Handles and juicystream like this.
  8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hilarious

Rocket River

10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Maybe this deserves its own thread, but this was a really good read on The Athletic (written by Jason Stark)

Stark: Astros one win away from something special

11. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Here is the rest of the article that I quoted above...

Roc Paint, SLRokJok, Handles and 3 others like this.
  12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Ahhh can Tuesday night get here already?? I'm pumped but also kind of nervous about Game 6.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, if the player helped the team win the most. Win Probability Added isn't a perfect stat, isn't good for comparing a position player with a pitcher (or player at another position), isn't very predictive of future performance, but it is great for determine which pitcher did the most to help a team win a game or series of games. Urquidy leads all Astros pitchers right now with only Harris being close among pitchers (a lot closer than I expected when I made the above post).

In the Astros three wins, I'm not sure there has been a position player that has helped as much across three games as Urquidy did in that one. Bregman had one great game in a win, but Brantley was IBB before him in the other two wins without Bregman making them pay. Alvarez only played in 1 win. Chirinos, only 2, but had 2 homers.

14. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

15. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ive said Urquidy and my second would be Harris.

Urquidy not only pitched in a high leverage game, he put everybody at ease including the fans for the first time all world series in the high leverage game. For that, give him the hardware. Also, I thought Greinke pitched the most hight leverage game.

jcee15, jklb and Htown Stros like this.
  17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Altuve definitely doesn’t deserve it based on the WS play alone that’s for sure. Yeah he has 9 hits but he’s been atrocious with runners on base - his approach pisses me off at times. I get being aggressive is who he is and he’s still one of the best players in franchise history, if not the best, but watching Springer walk to then see him swing first pitch and hit a weak grounder right at the SS for a DP kills me. Oh and the fact he has ZERO RBI with that many hits is pretty remarkable.

Currently I think Springer is right there in the picture with Alvarez and Bregman starting to creep into the picture. That said, IMO Chirinos and Urquidy have been our most impactful players - those two home runs he hit were huge and let’s be honest...I don’t think anyone predicted Urquidy would shut them down like he did long enough to also get the W. Both of those are great stories too that are good for the game - one spent 10 years in the minors and never gave up and another had his first playoff start be in the WS (first time ever I believe I saw) and was only the 2nd Mexico native to get a W in the WS I believe. Another dark horse candid with a good story is Will Harris although I think he’s highly unlikely to win it unless he comes up big in a pressure situation tomorrow/Wed.

18. Stros66

Stros66 Member

I would love to see a duplicate of game four or five tomorrow. Less stressful.

mikol13 and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. Stros66

Stros66 Member

The amazing thing about Urquidy he had only two base runners the whole time he pitched.

jklb likes this.