1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] What's the verdict on green smoothies?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, May 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That is only true for whole fruits. The digest quicker if they are pre-pulverized.

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Ok so I'm new to this.

Juicer or blender for the green smoothie? What's the difference?

Looking to maximize nutritional value and also want the benefits of gloriously perfect dumps.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Are you quoting the indian from simple pickup?

Anyways, juices will max nutritional value. Smoothies are good but there is much more fiber to drink, so it won't be as nutritionally dense and quick to digest as juices. Smoothies are more a meal.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Delicious!!!

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not really in the danger zone for that, but the way you spelled it made me think of Wilfred Brimley and that made me laugh and laughing is healthy.

6. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I also have a Vita-Mix, and it is the most gloriously perfect appliance ever made and totally worth the hundreds-of-dollars price tag.

The price freaks some people out, but calling it "just a blender" is the same as calling a Ferrari "just a car."

Before work (12-hour shifts) I typically throw in the following, and then pour it all into a 64oz canteen/thermos thing:
    - Kale and/or spinach and/or romaine
    - Cucumber
    - Broccoli
    - Mint
    - Hemp seed
    - Chia seed
    - Ceylon cinnamon
    - Vanilla protein powder
    - 1/2 a banana
    - Apple
    - Peaches or pineapple
    - Strawberries or blueberries
    - Ginger root
    - Coconut oil
    - Plain Greek yogurt
    - Almond butter
    - Almond milk
    - 2 cups filtered water and a cup of ice

I used to put in oatmeal as well, but I'm trying to do the no-grain thing. Admittedly, this certainly tastes very 'green,' but that's no concern to me as I like the taste, and this is essentially meal supplementation that is healthy and can be consumed quickly at the hospital where I work.

I still make smoothies on my days off, but I usually go with different recipes on those days. I like Dr. Oz's recipe:
    - 2 cups Spinach
    - 1/2 cucumber
    - 1/4 head of celery
    - 1/2 bunch parsley
    - 1 bunch mint
    - 3 carrots
    - 2 apples
    - 1/4 orange (I usually omit this; or use juice if I have some to get rid of)
    - 1/4 lime (I use lemon or lime juice)
    - 1/4 lemon (see above)
    - 1/4 pineapple (I use frozen)

I'll do more Smoothie King/fruity-style smoothies as well, but I mostly do those for my girlfriend's sake. She has weird texture issues.

7. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I would not worry about oxalates, the beneficial nutrients far out way any negative effects of oxalates. As far as the blender, it's very versatile, great warranty, and will last. The thing about smoothies is you have to keep it simple with few ingredients otherwise it starts to taste funky in my opinion.

8. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

We love our Vitamix. I love the different settings it has. You can insert the ingredients, turn it to whatever you want (smoothie, soup, etc.) and it blends at the corresponding rate. It will start slowly and work it's way up to higher speeds automatically. The soup option is really cool. It automatically heats up the soup. I also made almond butter once.

We started with a juicer, but now we use the Vitamix because it uses everything from the fruits/vegetables....and it's a lot easier. Be sure to register it, I believe it comes with a 7 year warranty. Even their refurbished ones come with a 5 year warranty.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Translation: Juicing fruit will pump you full of liquid calories. Go ahead and drink a few sodas instead. Smoothies are less calories dense and will fill you up faster with greater satiation.

Simple translation: Forget juicing. It isn't particularly healthy. However, smoothies are great because you consume the entire fruit and veggie and get all the benefits.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Was re reading this thread after seeing the naked juice lawsuit thread, this outrageous comment made me ressurect it, sorry.

Lol at throwing nutrition out the window like its irrelavent and that calories are all that matter. Totally untrue, there is a huge difference in the nutrition of vegatables and soda's. You should definetly not just "have a soda instead".

One contains multiple vitamins and minerals that are easily, quickly, absorbed and used in your body, and these nutrients help our body strive and function properly.

The other has a bunch of processed sugar that our bodies can't even absorb or take in because its so refined and unnatural, it just runs through are body and recks havoc causing a mountainous list of healthy problems . It has absolutely no nutritional value, a bunch chemical perservatives, color dyes etc that destroies us. Killing brain cells, hurting our immune system, decaying hour teeth.. the list could go on forever.

Start counting measuring your diet with nutrition, not calories.