1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] WELCOME RUSSELL WESTBROOK

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmoney1101, Jul 16, 2019.

1. SORF

SORF Member

Wow, most the pictures of Harden and Westbrook together they are consistently smiling and laughing...it is great to see a smiling Harden. If Westbrook brings this much joy to Harden, Harden will be hard to beat. When Harden is happy and smiling, his shots are so natural and the Rockets win.

EG should love this season.

2. BigBum

BigBum Member

Legacy starts.

tc0330 and tmoney1101 like this.
  3. BigBum

BigBum Member

How about Paul buyout at 80 million?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

@BigBum THIS IS NOT THE CHRIS PAUL OR OKC THREAD.

NOW PLEASE WELCOME RUSSELL WESTBROOK @BigBum

5. House Rockets

House Rockets Member

If all goes well we could be enjoying a lot of this during next season.

Let's Go Rockets!!!!!!!

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

There definitely had to be teams willing to dump $9m across the NBA. Tilman clearly allowed Morey to canvas the league for a deal. I'm sure we had options but Tilman decided not to dip into the tax for them. We are literally at the tax threshold right now. This is Tilman's final chance (with Shumpert) to prove that he isn't a cheapskate. If Shump walks (he will), I will never be convinced that Tilman was willing to spend whatever it took to win this season. I see this team as a one year window. If it doesn't work it's time to blow it up, may as well spend a ton to try to make it work.

Morey should quit if he is forced to make trades for lesser players while blowing assets so Tilman can make headlines.

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

The most elite backcourt ever assembled.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i mean, i don't understand why people don't ask morey why hasn't quit yet. it's very easy to access him on IG/twitter. sure he's in a comfort zone careerwise and his family is probably happy in HOU. but working for the reincarnation of donald sterling can't be something he's ok with

Hakeemtheking and treyk3 like this.
  9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I'll be waiting for every press conference. His interviews will be legendary.

BamBam, Hakeemtheking, tc0330 and 2 others like this.
  10. beardsanity713

WestBEAST!!! X HarGOD!!!!

What a deadly combo of historic guard play..
    Harden going down hill rumbling through the lane..step back 3's...dime droppin

Russ Mr. TripDub exploding for monster dunks...getting triple doubles in the 1st quarter bringing relentless pressure & energy

Defenses are going to have hell..

When was the last time we've had 2 MVP's wearing Rockets Red??

Welcome to Space City Russ

11. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

First time buying a jersey, how's the sizing on them? Idk what size to get

tmoney1101 likes this.
  12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

13. tc0330

tc0330 Member

im so f*cking excited

D-rock, tmoney1101 and J.R. like this.
  14. amaru

amaru Member

I’m sure both OKC and Houston searched for a 3rd team. It seems like nobody wants Paul on that contract without heavy draft pick compensation. Houston has already given up to four picks and OKC is rebuilding so trading picks doesn’t make sense.

15. amaru

amaru Member

I looked at his tweets and he said he feels confident that they scoured for other teams but came up empty (disappointing but not surprising). He also mentioned that this is more evidence that Tilman doesn’t want to pay the tax ( which I don’t doubt).

In essence it’s sound like Bima is saying nobody wanted CP0’s contract. I agree with him. Two things can be true at the same time.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Honestly, you could definitely take a short view on US equities based on tilman’s behavior.

Expected more from him. Here’s to hoping he grows up before it’s too late.

17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

They’re long. I’m 6 foot but I always feel like I’m wearing a dress in a jersey.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I still think you're misunderstanding, but it's okay. Yes, CP3's contract is big and is only going to OKC. What many Rockets fans were hoping for is that in this trade, the Rockets can take back 125% bc CP3 and Westbrook make the same money. That extra 25% (plus potential Shump SnT included) could net many players from OKC or a 3rd team without that team taking back anyone (other than Shump or draft picks or salary dump).

Insider and sophisticated Tilman defenders point to the process that Morey has explored trades over the last 2 years that could have put the Rockets into the luxury tax. In the meanwhile, Tilman critics have pointed to the numerous moves the Rockets have made purely to save money without basketball reasons. I fall more into the latter category with hope to be persuaded into the former because there were a couple of flexible moves potentially remaining.

Time is running out though. As someone who has had significant experience in sales, the are many clients I have encountered in my life that make me work my ass off for the best deal possible, then still ultimately pass due to being cheap. It's fine, it's their right.

It's Tilman's right as the owner to spend less than other good teams (relative to prior championship teams and current contenders). It is just so off-putting that he is so self-aggrandizing, takes over press conferences to blow his horn about big spending and winning, defensive about criticism about lack of spending, then consistently only executes moves that gives away assets and players in order to avoid the luxury tax.

Can the Rockets win big? Sure. I really hope so. But the evidence is becoming more and more clear that Tilman, remember he also cut the scouting department iirc, is a big phoney and the Rockets will have to win despite Tilman's willingness to spend money to improve the team even though he talks big.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I hope I will somehow end up liking him like Terry and Rivers.

tmoney1101 and Lurch like this.
  20. amaru

amaru Member

Ok