1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Week 4 Titans @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lmao!!!

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

3. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's the biggest x-factor.

Texans might lose one more division game at most this season.

5. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Props to the defense for playing at a high level forcing 5 TO, Deshaun is still getting in his grooves and his confidence is rising even single week, if the dude keeps on improving his limit is truly unknown and scary at the same time and could be top 5 QB in this league for years to come, the dude has the talent and the tools to get better all he needs is keep working on his game.

Two Sandwiches and Fullcourt like this.
  6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'd love to chalk the Jags loss up to Savage + Harvey impact, but who the f knows at this point. Hopefully week 1 was an outlier and we show out to be the class of the division the rest of the way. Hate O'Brien all you want, but his teams have historically gained steam and finished seasons strong during his tenure. Hopefully the trend continues.

Two Sandwiches, Houstunna and Nas like this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

All the teams in the AFC South can say the same. The Jags looked incredible in Houston AND in London but looked pathetic against the Titans. The Titans whooped the Jags and the hawks but was totally outmatched earlier today. We don't know enough about all those three teams.

Right after the Jags game when everyone was posting about wanting the coach fired; I posted that knowing O'Brien his team would bounce back and finish 9-7 and we'll forget about that first game. It's happened 3 years in a row now. It was the Falcons game three years ago, the dolphins game two years ago, and last year it was the Patriots. Everyone lowered their expectations but then the team bounced back and finished 9-7 we're happy.

Fullcourt likes this.
  8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I agree, but it's very hard not to be a victim of the moment and think this division is ours lol. FWIW, I think the Titans are a better squad than the Jags, and I'm not worried about the Titans after today.

Two Sandwiches and Nimo like this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

I know. The division is definitely there for the taking. The one thing that makes the Jags different is their d-line and the pass rush. And they can send more because they have strong starting corners. The Titans have the line to protect against them, the Texans don't. The Texans haven't had to deal with it as much the last couple of weeks. They'll face another stiff test keeping Watson clean up in Seattle in a few weeks.

10. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

After today's performance I think DW4 is in the top 5 for MVP after a quarter of the season. Other 4 I have: Rodgers, Brady, Hunt, Gurley

11. CallMeTheDream

I'm just glad I grabbed Watson and Fuller in fantasy on Saturday before this monster performance. Aside from avoiding the waiver frenzy, the best part is I got to drop Luck's injured ass lol.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Oddly, as crappy as that game ended and put Texans record in 1-2 hole, it still "feels" like that was a win, even if you're not supposed to have moral victories.

Watson basically showed for HIMSELF that game, and its separate blame on coaching and late INT drop for that game. Meaning I dont think a W or L would make much difference in the Watson praise.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Watt still draws extra attention, but yeah, the officiating a trash.

Wonder if his impact would truly be QB-esque if fairly whistled.

First-Second and 20 -- or worse -- basically kills every drive immediately.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/02/danny-trevathan-hit-suspension-nfl-week-4-things-mmqb

Think of Houston’s long streak of quarterback futility through two weeks this season: 21 straight games of never scoring 30 points, despite spending $72 million on Brock Osweiler last year, despite trading two first-round picks to acquire Watson this year. But then Watson dueled Tom Brady and put up 33 points in a loss to the Patriots last week, and this week put up a franchise-record 57 in front of a disbelieving home crowd Sunday.

The disbelieving crowd included a disbelieving owner.

“We’ve never had this kind of offense before,” said Bob McNair, who founded the team in 2002. “What was the final—57 points? We’ve never scored 57 points before. That’s sounding more like a basketball game.”

The expectation about Watson was probably unfair to begin. When he was drafted, he was transitioning from a wide-open spread scheme at Clemson to a fairly conservative, balanced Bill O’Brien offensive scheme. It was expected that Watson might play at some point this year, but not the majority of the year as long as Tom Savage stayed healthy. But in the summer, during the time the Texans were off before training camp, O’Brien would throw Watson the occasional text with a quiz, to see how far along he was, and how much he’d studied in the spring and early summer. O’Brien marveled at never being able to stump Watson. Maybe we should have expected this. After all, there’s one quarterback in history who’s twice thrown for more than 400 yards against a Nick Saban-coached defense. Only one. Watson.

“He’s seeing a lot of different things—third-down blitzes for the first time, red-area things for the first time,” O’Brien said. “I think he’s made some really good decisions. That’s the kind of guy he is. He’s a very calm guy. He’s a very thoughtful guy.”

So far for Watson, he’s started against Cincinnati on a short-week Thursday (win), started against Tom Brady in a Foxboro duel (loss) and at home for the first time against rising Tennessee (43-point win). Next week: The last unbeaten team (at least until Monday night) in the NFL, Kansas City, is at Houston. Every week’s a test with Alabama-like pressure.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

So John Harris and Vandy confirmed the Titans were breaking it down on Texans logo before the game.

That beat down is so much more satisfying.

MadMax likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

only the packers, patriots and rams have scored more Tds than the Texans.

17. SinceEverSince

Seattle’s line is worst then ours. I think we match up well against them. No way cheeseburger Eddie beats us

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

But that defense is still tough. They are getting to the QB with sacks more often. Cincinnati and Jacksonville were having a feast against the Texans. The last two games haven't been against strong front sevens.

Though the o line is bad and just for worse last night, we have seen what a running QB can do to this defense.

Should be an ugly one for sure.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Other than that outfit, he was on fire. That almost overshadowed the great performance. A few rookie "don't do that" moments but an impressive game by him and the team

donkeypunch likes this.