1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Victor Wembanyama as a Spurs thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Pop is the worst coach in the NBA?

Few top picks land on garbage rosters?

This gets funnier and funnier.

Edit: Y’all do realize a big scoring 21 on 16 shots, shooting what he’s shooting, is not great offense, right? In an era where it’s easier to score AND winning basketball is built around offensive efficiency. Oh, y’all do realize that.

#1001 Icehouse, Mar 23, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    roslolian likes this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Who’s a worse coach in 2024 than pop? Nobody. He was set up to fail beyond how most guys are

3. omgTHEpotential

Huh. People seem to be so delusional here that anyone with a rational take is being called a WOF lmao. And sorry, comparing Elton Brand to Wemby is just asinine. Then there's also people blaming Wemby for not carrying the Spurs to a 50 win record... Did Kevin Durant do that? Sonics won 20 games. Has he also become a bum just because he didn't win a ****ing championship as a rookie on a trash team?

I can't... Props to you for defending the Rockets' honor though.

lnchan and SamFisher like this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Gosh yes we realize that you phlegmatic nincompoop - do you actually believe that people who are (rightly) are touting Vic as a generational talent and an elite player right now (which he is) . .

.. are literally doing it by picking up the box score and calculating his point per shot on our way to the five & dime to buy some Ovaltine?

Watch the games, this guy does **** regularly on offense that's never been done before. Not just like weird ass dunks and lay ins from crazy angles, but these insane wraparound passes from like Row C. He's got elite vision, people ooh and aah here about Sengun passing - he's already better at passing IMO than Sengun.

The fact that you're pooping your pants about his dribble up 3 % is also indicative of something -but not what you believe it is

Dude I'm old, Ralph Sampson did not do this, Yao Ming did not do this. Maybe wilt Chamberlain was like this. Just watch and enjoy.

Oh yes, and also he's also the best defender in basketball ("1 steal is not great" - an idiot once said) - he will probably finish 2nd to Gobert in DPOY but as for who's better right now it's Victor

But none of this registers for you - And you, from your headquarters in Poindexter City, whip out your TRS-80 and are issuing Barkley after 3 Modelo takes, I can almost hear the grunting of Shaq in the background

It's a fun bit.:)

#1004 SamFisher, Mar 24, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    GermanRakete likes this.
  5. SamFisher

I think if I'm a Spurs fan, yeah the Pop lineups disasterclass experiments of Vic at PF, no PG, and "point Sochan (who frankly sucks)" is a big minus.

But the real blame imo is the Pop RC Buford brain trust being absolutely gifted Victor and squandering it with a needless tank season (basically thinking like @Icehouse )

The guy is an all star- all NBA level performer right now - who knows how long his career will last.

Should've Phase 2d it with FVV, Dylan Brooks last offseason

6. Icehouse

SamFisher

I do watch the games. I see a high volume scorer with average efficiency across the field, who is elite defensively. I see the same player continue to make bad decisions (see his shot selection) that impact his teams ability to win games. You can ooohh and ahhh all you like, but the result is still a guy taking a lot of shots to get 21 points, on average efficiency.

You can continue to call folks names and make ignorant assumptions that they aren’t watching games because they have a different opinion than yours, but it won’t change any of the facts that I keep noting. His numbers are not historically great. I’ve seen rookies from his own franchise put up better numbers in their first year and be more impactful to their team winning games. You don’t need to be surrounded by great talent in this league to not lose the majority of your games. Players as impactful as you are making him out to be = wins for their franchise.

He’s looking like the best player in the draft and one of the best rookies we’ve had in a while, but that does not equate him to being a top 10 player.

Invisible Fan and roslolian like this.
  7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The whole organization is a clown show no doubt about it, worst in the nba along with maybe the hornets. Pretty embarrassing what they have become but age gets to everyone

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Buford is already semi retired, I think their GM name is Brian Wright......who the hell....

Pop is senile.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

20 games still 5 more than the 15 Spurs have. And nobody was making the argument KD was goat rookie. WoFs just on another level boosting Wemby.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree. Luka alone is better than him as a rookie. Put rookie Luka on that team they've won more than 15 games by now.

Sam fisher is one of the biggest WoFs on the planet, thought Wemby is better than Embiid before Wemby even played his first NBA game so don't believe his "watch the game" BS. Dude had his mind made up before any games were played.

11. Icehouse

And 20 year old Luka finished 4th in MVP voting.

roslolian likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yep. Only WoFs think winning doesn't matter in goat discussions.

Spurs so bad they may have less wins than the Silas/Daishen Nix Rockets and we talking about Wemby as the goat rookie? Bruh.

13. Icehouse

Don't you know this game is about stat accumulation, not winning?

roslolian likes this.
  14. SamFisher

I know you don't, Bilious James, because you keep trotting out the "doesn't get enough wins" and "I looked at the box score and looks he had too many shots", or just "3.6 assists is not good, 1 steal is not good" level of ENIAC punch card preposterousness.

Since you don't watch, look:

I actually believe it's true that you don't watch much of the Spurs.

Not talking trash - there's just no way anybody can watch, and then have a takeaway of Wembys court vision/passing consisting of "3.5 assists is not good" or "1.5 steals is not good" - that's pure wannabe Archimedes Asshattery - The Art of long division is only impressive if you show your work.

I'm not a scout or a pro takester, but at least I watch the games man! I watched the second half of the one above (though the Spurs are boring when Wemby isn't in) . It was good. Wemby is one of the very best players in the NBA right now. Even 60 points of Jalen Brunson couldn't overcome it.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Wth happened down in San Antonio?

Brunson with 61 points on 47 shots? When was the last time a player took that many shots?

Wemby continues to look generational with 40, 20, and 7…absolutely insane

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you watched the games why did you say Wemby was better than Embiid before he even played a game? That's not something somebody who watches the game would say. As good as Wemby has played I'm pretty sure Embiid playing on the Spurs would get them to 20 wins by now. You just love that tall and thin and archetype I remember you boosting Mobley to high heaven years past as well. Didn't you also say Mobley was a generational defender and one of the best big men in the NBA? Now you've transferred all that hype to Wemby lol.

Secondly this whole circular logic is funny AF. Wemby played great tonight and that resulted in wins so he's awesome but when his team losses it's not his fault? Everybody sees Wemby is awesome but if you wanna crown him goat rookie or one of the best players then he has got to win games cuz that's what goats do. Winning games is the point of basketball, not putting up stats. Wemby can't even beat Daishen Nix record how is the goat of anything?

Everybody just drools over Wemby statline but Amen just had 18/14/5/2 himself and nobody is calling him a top player in the NBA. Kevin Love averaged 21/15 which is a lot better than Wemby and nobody was saying he was one of the best players in the league.

Bolbol said it best.

#1016 roslolian, Mar 30, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  17. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Wembanyama more boss than I thought. Brunson got served mob style.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Watching a Wembanyama highlights package reminds of these weird alien players I used to create 20 something years ago in NBA Live who were super tall and lanky with all the offensive and defensive ratings cranked up to 99.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You have fought and argued with anyone who tried to blame Jalen for losses when he was playing like absolute garbage earlier in the season. Repeatedly citing that other players on the team were just as much if not more to blame for our early season losses.

Yet with Wemby you want to lay the majority/all of the blame at his feet for the teams poor record and never mention anything about his teammates being mostly garbage players.