1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Tulsi Gabbard for President Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 11, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You are definitely an alarmist. You are interpreting these things in the worst possible way. This is a more connected world and sometimes our interests will align with other nations. It's not some grand conspiracy.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What is this sneaky commie up to today?

London'sBurning likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

In Tulsi or Jill Steins case they are assets if they understand they are taking support from a foreign nation knowing that that nation is trying to accomplish.

In Trumps case he’s not an asset he’s a full fledged partner.

Nook likes this.
  4. Major

Major Member

Low information voters aren't following the primaries, let alone stories about Tulsi Gabbard. They likely don't even know who she is.

I have no real opinion of Gabbard and Russia, but this isn't true. A manchurian candidate, for example, is an asset even if they don't know it. If you can manipulate or exploit someone to your benefit, they can be an asset for you without actively participating.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is a great table. According to this, Gabbard voters hate Tom Steyer (-73%), but Tom Steyer voters like Tulsi Gabbard (+10%). Look at the candidates who get the lowest favorability out of Tulsi supporters: Biden (-79), Steyer (-73), Kamala Harris (-64), Booker (-64), Castro (-60). And who they like the best (relatively): Warren (-5), Yang (-10). Seems like a pretty passionate bunch. And it paints the picture of Tulsi as the protest vote. The next most disaffected seem to be supporters of Michael Bennet and Marianne Williamson (who also seems to be the most reviled).

Most of her "progressive" viewpoints are just DNC tablestakes and do not differentiate her at all. The only real policy differences I can detect is her aversion to foreign wars and her embrace of wikileaks. But there's more to vote on than just policy. I don't think she's being dishonest, not genuine, or being opportunistic (or any more so than any of the other of the 17 candidates who are still around even though they have no hope to win). In fact, I think she genuinely wants to change our foreign policy posture. But she's not even 40, doesn't have much of a resume, doesn't have an argument (that I've heard) about why she will be a good executive, her differentiating policy idea sounds naive and unwise and could be damaging even if executed well, and she's combative and unhelpful in interviews when she has a chance to explain herself. It would probably make more sense to hear why she should even be granted an audience than to explain all the myriad ways she doesn't deserve one. Even with great policy ideas, how do you overcome being too young, too inexperienced, and a bad campaigner?

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why are you ignoring the other counter arguments that are out there and in this very thread?

And what does this have to do with republicans in purple districts?

7. justtxyank

To be clear, the reason she is liked by the right wing (right now) is because she is attacking democratic front runners, has flip flopped on impeachment specifically to appeal to right wing viewers, holds a position on Syria that can be held up as "See, bipartisan people support Trump's policy!" and because she's attractive.

Nook likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

9. JuanValdez

Maybe. But I have a suspicion that the real, real reason some right wingers (and whatever left wingers she has) like her is because of her embrace of Snowden and Assange. I suspect the profile are people who think the federal government is rotten at its core and needs an "outsider" to come in and shake things up and stick-it to the Deep-State/Illuminati who are making a fortune and worshiping Moloch on Pedo-Island by manipulating the sheeple into waging unjust and foolish wars. Some patriot or hero like Snowden or Assange or Trump or the Joker or... Tulsi Gabbard.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  10. justtxyank

Well remember that the right hated Assange before Trump. And the right doesn't want Tulsi to be president, they just find her to be a convenient foil for other democrats. They don't have to hold up a Republican saying impeachment is wrong, here's a democrat running for president! See!

The Fox News version of the Republican party is a Trump defense cult right now, that's it. You have their approval and support right now entirely based on how your views reflect on Trump. Hannity would give Satan a primetime interview to espouse his view that the murder of Jesus was justified if he would defend Trump in the process.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I was initially big on Tulsi because she did not come off as someone who had all the answers to big complex problems. However once she entered the race, she did very little to start addressing problems and instead copy and pasted other candidates ideas (not to be confused with solutions). Anyone can criticize the problems and its just as pointless as the 'trickle-up tax' solutions.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  12. JuanValdez

I think the appeal of wikileaks cuts across party lines. Maybe it catches more liberals than conservatives, but there's paranoid anti-establishment types in both parties that were into them.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think initially I liked Wikileaks even after Trump. It wasn't until they got caught lying and altering the release of materials to serve an agenda that I turned against them. The United States currently regards them as a hostile foreign intelligence agency.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

What support? Also are they soliciting this help?

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yeah I’m no longer interested in her

Hopefully she drops out soon . At this point she is wasting her donors money

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think she explained her reasoning quite well. She supports the inquiry, but thinks the American people are better served if the entire impeachment process is done transparently. Call it politically naive or too idealistic, but I don't read that as her being pro-Trump.

18. justtxyank

Lots of noise right now that she intends to run as a third party candidate.

Ubiquitin and Os Trigonum like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Pro-Trump... not the correct way of looking at it. She absolutely 100% is targeting Trump base voters though in her tactical primary plan. Which is why she’ll never trash the guy like every other Dem will.

She looks to be trying to recreate his success in 16 by running the primary as a protest candidate who runs on trashing their party. Worked for Trump and got him voters who don’t normally vote who hate politics and want to blow up DC.

I think that’s the most charitable way of making sense of her campaign. She has had a pretty decent bump though the past couple weeks so maybe it is starting to work late in the game. Just don’t think the Dem party and base is as nearly as broken as the GOP was in 16 for Trump to do what he did.

FranchiseBlade likes this.