1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Tracy McGrady in Atlanta Hawks Uniform Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Dec 9, 2011.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

very true.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Joe Johnson becomes a scrub when the pressure is on, TMac might put up prettier numbers than he has been, but the Hawks will exit 1st round.

3. arjun

arjun Member

i think depending on the match up..the Hawks can most def get past the first round.

I can see them beating the Pacers, maybe the celtics, and def the Magic.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He has the 8th highest post season per of all time. Even beyond that he always put up big numbers in the post season. I remember that jazz series he was doing everything.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

8th highest per in the easiest round of the playoffs. I'm not trying to troll on him, but historically TMac has been a failure and the currently constructed Hawks have been failures in the playoffs. Maybe the rule of double negatives applies here. If he gets past the first round good for him, I just don't find it likely.

6. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I don't think the Hawks can beat the Celtics.... & that's who they're likely to face.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes he was putting up big numbers, but it's also deceiving cause he's only playing in only 1 series every year.

If you compare that to truly great players who actually play 4 series in the post season and endure injuries, illness, and went on to win championships, he's not in their class.

You can't blame it all on him, but at the same time you can't keep making excuses for him for his entire career.

He's a ring chaser now. The Gary Payton Miami / Mitch Richmond in LA part of his career.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

that's not a fair comparison, because Kobe is an elite player who wants to add to his legacy as an all time great and Tracy McGrady is a bench player who's ring chasing to try to end his career with some semblance of team success in the playoffs.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah the Dynasty of contenders he's played for after us?

Pistons and Hawks. Way to take the easy road there Mac :rolleyes:

10. tinman

Supporting Member

My bad, maybe he's just chasing the 2nd round of the playoffs cause Hawks can win a playoff series .

11. roksoer

roksoer Member

I won't even respond to tinman, but that's just stupid, how can you generalize like that?????

One man can't win alone, supporting casts matter, every ****ing thing is relative

why doesn't this discussion die already?

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The Heat, Bulls, Lakers, and Magic didn't have mutual interest.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Might be 1 series at a time, but its still a lot of games. I can not question his effort in the playoffs.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

It's not a generalization, it's the truth so far. He hasn't played more than 1 round of the playoffs.

Other truly great players have played 4 rounds.

This is the absolute truth.

Think about this interesting observation.

Tracy McGrady fans want him to be on a great team, but the great teams never want Tracy McGrady.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

No, but he doesn't deserve to be compared to greats like Kobe who actually make it past the first round and play more games.

For a couple of years I wanted him to make it past the first round, but not because he's Tracy McGrady, but because he played for my favorite team.

These other people want him to succeed because he's Tracy McGrady, he fights for the fans who feel like they are entitled to something because he has great talent.

I'm from the old school I root for the player who's leadership skills, heart, loyalty and talent transforms an entire city from Choke to Clutch.

1 person likes this.
  16. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

The first round isn't the easiest for both teams. 1 v 8, that's not gonna be harder than playing the 3 or the 6 in the second round. 2 v 7, that's not going to be as tough as playing 4 or 5 in the second round for the 7th seed team. Not to mention, matchups have a lot more to do with the difficulty level than seeding. Houston does not match up will with Dallas, they have our number. The Jazz too tend to have our card as well. Every team has this. We have the Lakers card. You could go on and on and on.

Stop trying to find ways to insult someone who clearly gave his full effort in the playoffs. Say what you will about the end of his tenure in Houston, or his exits from previous destinations. You're either oblivious or ignorant if you don't think McGrady gave it his all in the playoffs.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

I would hope so if you are getting paid $25 million a year, won a couple scoring titles, and get voted on the all star team by a bunch of people.

18. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

You've made your point for years. He hasn't made it past the first round.

He still gave it his all in the playoffs. So your comment changes nothing. There are plenty of over paid athletes who have not gotten it done in the playoffs. Some have even gone on to win, but we weren't fortunate enough to have a supporting cast decent enough to hit an open shot.

I'm not excusing McGrady, I'm excusing the team. It wasn't until we had Morey giving us some talented draft picks that we started to develop a cast to support them. By then it was far too late for McGrady and it ended up being just in time for Yao.

We have the ultimate supporting cast right now. However we have no player like McGrady or Yao that can put ultimate pressure on defenses and (in Clydes voice) "Something out of nothing."

19. tinman

Supporting Member

that's a different thread topic on why the Rockets are the way they are.

Getting rid of McGrady was the right thing to do even if you are TOF cause you know
    he wanted to leave, he didn't like the coach
    he was in decline and not consistently healthy to justify such a salary

McGrady said himself, he wished he played with Tim Duncan,

my question was Yao saying he wished he played with Tony Parker and Ginobli?

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Tinman makes every 6.7th post in this thread, awesome.