1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Tigers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That loss was painful....not sure why it was....just 1 game of 162....but to waste another outing of Verlander's.
    Crazy....lost a 2 hitter....to the water boys of the MLB.

On to the next one....I didn't want to b**** about the game in here last night.....The Rick Flair thing was cool though.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Astros block Detroit Free Press from clubhouse at Justin Verlander’s request
    https://sports.yahoo.com/astros-block-detroit-free-press-130856830.html

So what's the story on Fenech and Verlander?

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And that was a stupid f***ing thread. Still the odds on favorite to win the World Series. They have plenty of rbi's in their lineup, even with Reddick around. They had a bad game, offensively. It happens.

Also, yesterday Jeff Luhnow said that Tucker will not be called up before 9/1. I'm going to lean towards his opinion and knowledge before anyone else here whining that he hasn't been called up already.

#683 leroy, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. HTM

HTM Member

Not digging these "historically favored" lines coming out before the games (BAL and now DET)... it's just bad juju... it's baseball... nothing is that surprising.

Uprising likes this.
  6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

It's cliché, it's a Biggio'ism but "that's just baseball." Baseball is a highly skilled sport but there is luck involved in where a batted ball lands and sometimes nothing goes your way, even for "greatest in history" teams. There are bad pitchers that throw no hitters just because every ball hit in play was hit to a fielder, even the line drives. They won the series vs. Baltimore and if they win tonight they will win a 4 game series vs. Detroit. Chicago sucked but 3 games in 24 hours and a Cole injury played a role and as we see with the Yankee struggling in Oakland, no shame in losing that series. If you're expecting sweeps, even against bad teams, then expect to be disappointed A LOT.

jcee15 likes this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

So...let me get this straight. You need a run producer and you have a 32 HR, 94 RBI guy in Triple A. Instead of calling him up, you call up a guy that had just been promoted to Triple A? I don’t care about the positions he plays, this sound like a “Bill O’brien move (according to many on this board) and makes no sense.

8. Buck Turgidson

What's the corresponding roster move? Remember that Straw is now your backup SS, so he has to stay.

9. Major

Major Member

Maybe you should figure out how baseball works then.

You love nonsensical BoB moves, though.

mikol13, Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why don't you guys have him on ignore.

He's ether astoundingly incompetent, or a troll, either way it's not the type of poster you want to interact with.

mikol13 likes this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Incompetent? lol. The fact you can’t refute anything I posted is telling. Please ignore me.....

I was basically screaming at them to call up Alvarez for over a month...while others said “we don’t need him....”. They wanted to keep rolling fat ass Tyler White out there because he deserved his chance...lol. Where is Tyler now?

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Did Stassi get a job as a journalist?

13. Buck Turgidson

When you're b!tching about roster construction and calling players up and throw in the phrase "I don't care what position [he] plays"....then yes, it makes it impossible to take you seriously.

14. Nook

Nook Member

lets be fair, he hasn’t been taken serious for a really really long time. I surprised he can type with his head so far up Cal McNair’s ass.

CheezeyBoy22 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Who are those people and are you sure those people didn't want to make sure Alvarez could sustain his success for more than the first month of the season?

I'm curious what in the past 7 or 8 years under Luhnow makes you think you know better?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

He *is* a huge fan of the Texan's coaching and management, like @Nook said, so that might be a window into his pro-sports mindset.

Nook and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They have already called up a position replacement. They need the bat. Tucker can play outfield, DH, or you give him time a First Base (which they have been doing at AAA). The bat is more important than the position.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um.....Im not a HUGE fan of the coaching staff and management. NOWHERE will u find a post that says that. What I do say that the posters on here have an irrational disconnect on the ways of the NFL. The Texans have the plans...u let them execute it. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't and it is up to Cal McNair to change it. Whining about the same **** because u don't like the coach or the way he does things won't change it.

The Astros have specific solutions that they can implement without a trade or paying a player, but they choose not to.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Luhnow has made a lot of great decisions. However, he has also made terrible ones in regards to giving up on players (JD Martinez), trades that were not smart (trading Josh Hader for Carlos Gomez for one). I'm not saying I know better than him, but he is not infallible.

20. Buck Turgidson

You're not following along with what they are doing.

What is the corresponding roster move you would make to get Tucker on the big club right now? This is the 2nd time I've asked, btw.

Nook likes this.