1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live right now -- come join us!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Official Thread on Yao Ming's Summer Activities 2006

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Apr 25, 2006.

1. doggeryqzr

doggeryqzr Member

Ying Xiong, not yin xiong, :)

2. MandM's

MandM's Member

Man...nobody knows that Chinese stuff...at least Americans.

It is obvious that Shaq was trying to compliment Yao...he had no idea that in China the black bear meaning was a negative.

And then he was joking by making the retirement statement.

Give the guy a break. Unless you are from China you would think the black bear is one bad ass animal.

Who knows why the Chinese are so different when it comes to identifying animals as strong, weak or whatever. That is the issue, not Shaq's statement. If the same comment was made to media in the states, people would have viewed it as a compliment.

3. compucomp

compucomp Member

Who knows why the West is so different? Come on, stop it with the blatant "the American way is the only way" attitude that is so obnoxious everywhere else, even in your allied countries. The onus is on Shaq to understand the cultural connotations of what he's saying, not on the Chinese to think like Americans.

4. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Look, I'm all for cultural sensitivity period, but this is BS. If you invite Shaq to your country, you want him there because he runs his yap. He can seem completely ignorant, but it's the force of his personality that makes him attractive and he doesn't take himself that seriously.

And your supposition that it's the onus of a foreigner to know what's offensive is just ridiculous, especially if you're being paid to "mak schau".

What's really funny about this is Yao's probably the last guy in the NBA Shaq would seriously criticize, and there's no way in hell he'd do it in China.

No, the West isn't superior, but if foreign cultures want to pay us to come over and we use our own metaphors and analogies - meaning no harm - then perhaps certain cultures should stay clear of NBA coaches, trainers, superstars, $160.00 tennies...

Oh, that's right China's doing the opposite...

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I loathe the "American way is the only way" crap as much as you do, but I think you guys (i.e., my fellow Chinese posters) are unfairly judging Shaq. He was invited to visit China as a guest. He didn't go there to preach American democracy. The onus is not on Shaq to think and speak like Chinese, although it's beneficial to him to learn some culture and stuff. So do cut him some slack, better yet, give him a break.

On the "black bear" to "gou xiong" translation and interpretation, I think your guys (yeah, same people I was just referring to) have just created something out of nothing. The reason being:

1) Shaq merely said "bear", the literal translation into Chinese in pinying is "xiong". The word, as I explained in an earlier post, can be used in both commendatory and derogatory contexts.

2) If you read the actual article itself, Shaq immediately explained what he meant by associating Yao with "bear" -- strong and powerful. The TITAN interviewer tried to stir the pot by focusing on the negative usage.

3) The prefix "gou" attached to "xiong" is a kiddie play, only to further stigmatize the beautiful animal. :)

#765 wnes, Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  6. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

So on the eve of the World Championship, the authorities are trying to cool down the unrelaistically high anticipations of the basketball fans in China..............

7. youming

youming Member

Yao hopeful
    http://www.shanghaidaily.com/art/2006/08/19/289565/Yao_hopeful.htm

8. MandM's

MandM's Member

I didn't say the American way is the only way. But who would know that crap about the bear unless you were born and raised in China?

9. pryuen

Just another incident that shows us what kind of a person Yao Ming is.

http://sports.sohu.com/20060819/n244883655.shtml

Shaquille O'Neal has just wrapped up his visit in China. His last stop was Shanghai, and he visited the headquarters/stadium of the Shanghai Sharks, Yao Ming's alma mater team to give the young players some demonstration and teaching.

He was surprised to find someones that he did not expect to see beforehand.

[​IMG]

Yao Ming obviously knew of Shaq's schedule. He phoned from Japan and asked his parent to go to the stadium to meet Shaq, and presented Shaq a gift.... a pictorial book on images of Shanghai.

And according to the above article, Shaq said Yao Ming called him from Japan, and apologized that he could not meet Shaq during his visit to Shanghai, but he promised Shaq that on his next visit, he will play host to him to tour the sceneric spots of Shanghai.

10. pryuen

Is this Bostjan Nachbar ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The caption of the photo from sohu.com said Yao Ming chatted with an ex-team mate.

But other than Bostjan Nachbar of Slovenia, who else ? But this guy does not look like Boki ?? Or is he really Boki ??

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Could be. We know Boki still owed Yao $60 when he left for New Orleans. Yao is asking him to pay back or else ...

12. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I beg to disagree. IMHO this man looks as much like Boki as you can get. :)

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It looks exactly like Nachbar. I guess this confirms that all white people look the same to Asians. ;)

14. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

Glad someone said it +1

15. pryuen

Well, it could be the mustache on his face that I could not recognize him immediately.

But as I've said, other than his best computer game buddy Boki, who else can he be ??

The 2 guys are really close buddies.

Let me share with you guys a translation that I did last summer on YMM: an interesting interlude about Yao Ming and Boki's friendship that happened when Boki took his newly wed wife to Beijing for the Basketball Without Borders Asia Camp.

16. Rockets Dynasty

BTW Pruyen yet another Chinese article that confirms Yao is 2.28m barefoot (= 7'5 3/4" or same height Carroll dawson claims to have measured Yao at barefoot)

So thanks for jumping all over me when I pointed out Yao is NOT actually 2.26m and that the discrepancy has nothing to do with shoes as yao is over 7'7" or over 2.31m with shoes on.

So take THAT.

17. pryuen

Great article from Sapporo by Fran Blinebury on the Chronicle.

It basically answered all our previous FUDs (Fear, Uncertainties and Doubts) on whether he had returned too soon under CBA pressures.

Also it should STFU on those who lamented about the trade of Shane Battier for Rudy Gay + Stromile Swift. :rolleyes:

18. denali_wjl

denali_wjl Member

Guys, this is not accurate, Black Bear is Hei Xiong in Chinese,
    where Hei stands for black, and Xiong stands for bear in this
    perticular word.

Whileas Gou Xiong if translated literally into English would
    be *Dog-Bear*, it does have subjective implications with negative
    meaning, sort of like the bear-market term in stock market.

So the TITAN interviewing guy did a bad job in translating black bear,
    he should have said Hei Xiong which is a more accurate translation
    of black-bear that also does not have any subjective implications.
    The guy picked the wrong word.

19. pryuen

In Chinese, it is the same.............black bear and gou xiong.

If you do a Chinese Google search of images of a "gou xiong", you will get images of a black bear.

http://images.google.com.hk/images?q=狗熊&hl=zh-CN&btnG=搜索图片

20. denali_wjl

denali_wjl Member

This is the case of delicate differences, also google need to blur up this
    kind of delicate differences between words so that your search will hit more
    relevent web pages, which is what you want when doing google search
    most of the time. Google is not about accuracy but about getting relevent
    information.

Having said that, Gou Xiong actually does not have a strong negative
    meaning by itself, as long as you don't use Hero (Ying Xiong) and Gou
    Xiong in the same sentense and use Hero (Ying Xiong) to reference one
    person and Gou Xiong to reference another person. Hero (Ying Xiong)
    and Gou Xiong rhymes in Chinese, that is about the only reason they
    are used togather for comparison purpose.

Other than that, Hei Xiong and Gou Xiong is basically inter-changeable
    in most other cases.