1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official Thread] Media/Player Reaction to James Harden 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTexas, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have wanted to broach this topic a few times on this board, but never had the right words to post about it. I pretty much echo Nook's post here.

I am not going to dwell on it too much, but there is a racial/stereotype component I believe. Not just one thing, but multiple things as Nook outlined.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I also don’t wish to dwell on it too much, but the argument that there is a significant racial component to the criticism Harden gets is just lazy. How is Harden more “black” than LeBron, or Lillard, or Kawhi? As for Doncic, Kendrick Perkins is on ESPN saying how he’d love to play with Doncic, while also saying he hates how Harden plays. I’m sorry, but I don’t buy that this has anything to do with Perkins having some bias against black people.

Harden is unique in the success he’s been able to have while playing a style that traditionally has been viewed as a selfish and ultimately losing brand of basketball. It’s this way he plays, and to some extent his fixation on individual accolades when each year his team seems to collapse in the playoffs, that turn people off.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

But it's so easy anyone can do it.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

ItS tHe SyStEm bRoOoO

6. HP3

HP3 Member

I think you are looking at it the wrong way. I mean time will tell if people will treat Donic the same way BUT......you comparing Harden to Lebron, Lillard or Kawhi isnt the issue. Its that Donic plays very VERY similar to Harden and is treated differently. Will see how much of that will change in the coming years but I dont think the comparison you are using was right there.

7. durvasa

40% of Harden’s scoring plays this year are ISOs, which is why off the spectrum of other players. For Luka, it’s 12%.

Just one example that shows that they don’t play “very VERY similar”.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  8. JackLordsHair66

Well not anyone, but Scottie Pippen could for sure !

AroundTheWorld and D-rock like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

Just because he doesn't iso as much doesnt mean they dont play similar or that he doesnt have the ball in his hands a lot. His usage is third in the league behind Harden and Giannis. He runs mainly pick and rolls(same as Harden). He takes the second most step backs after Harden. He uses the ball a lot same as Harden, he draws fouls in the same way as Harden(he'll draw more as his career goes one). His main athletic component deceleration is the exact same as Harden(they are both in the 90th percentile).

They do play very similar. You aren't being objective this time. I expect his play style to be hated on in the coming years. And if its not....well lol, I think its a little naive to discount race.

10. durvasa

I never said they don’t play similar to some extent, but you worded it like they are essentially the same player to try to make your point. The main thing Harden is known for on offense the last few years he is doing at a frequency that is not anywhere close to what a Doncic (or any other player) is doing, and that directly relates to the aspect of his game that turn some people off. Isn’t stuff like that the thing we should focus on, rather than him being black in a league where the vast majority of players are black and don’t get anywhere near the same scrutiny?

11. HP3

HP3 Member

They are as similar as any two superstar players in the league can get, which is the point. Luka is in his second year in the league and is top 3 in free throws, thats not normal. I keep telling you his FT rate is gonna go up. Sure they dont draw the same amount now, but as Luka gets bigger in this league, you are gonna see ALOT more foul drawing from him. Im not focusing on it, Im saying that he'll probably get treated the same way in the future cause they pretty similarly. And if not....lol again, I think its just naieve that you couldnt possibly conceive that race couldnt be a factor.

AroundTheWorld and D-rock like this.
  12. durvasa

It’s dense to assume it must be a factor and ignore all the ways Harden is actually an incredibly unique player. Why should anyone think Perkins dislike for Harden is because he’s black and not because he often dribbles the air out the ball while other players are just standing around doing nothing?

Harden is like Luka, except if you turn up some of the knobs to 11 where Luka is at an 8. It’s those extremes that set Harden apart, and make him a lightning rod for criticism. Not the color of his skin.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

Luka is a second year player, LOL. People liked Harden in the beginning too. Harden has years of a reputation being developed. Like, you picked one balck guy on tv(who is an idiot) and you think that just ends it right there, its non sense. Again, Luka DOES THE SAME STUFF, third in usage rate...oh my god haha. They run pick and roll with big man and have shooters everywhere else.

Luka is at an 8 IN HIS SECOND YEAR IN THE LEAGUE. God dude...its like your insulted by the very notion, jesus.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. durvasa

You want to point to Luka as some sort of evidence of racial bias against Harden, even though there are clear differences in how they play and how they run their team’s offense. You reply that it’s only different because Luka is younger and he hasn’t yet evolved to that stage. Fine, make your argument at some hypothetical point in the future when they actually play the same way. We aren’t there now, so what are we even arguing about, lol?

There are so many things separating Harden and Luka right now. Pretending they are the same to make a double standard argument, and then go further with the race thing, just doesn’t work for me.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

I havent said there is any bias, only that its possible. Really clear evidences? You really havent given me enough evidence in how they differ. My only point was to discount the possibility is naive, sheesh.

Lol, "so many things"....man, alright. Its fine if it doesnt work for you , but I just think totally discounting the possibility as if its some kind asinine thing, is just putting your head in the sand. Like "so many thing seperating them" lol like dude, they are more alike than different. You're right, its hypothetical so things could change...but the fact that you think it s like....almost impossible is where i take issue.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Allen Iverson did almost all of those things: legal issues, gambling, drinking, guns, skipping practices, getting into fights. He was and continues to be a legend. People loved him.

Lots of former players bag on Harden all the time. His defense became a meme years ago and they won't let that go. Combine that with a lack of a definitive playoff performance and you've got a recipe for massive amounts of hate.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

sigh

Deuce and D-rock like this.
  19. durvasa

We are talking past each other. Racial bias exists, and its possible that there are racists out there that hate Harden even more because he’s black. They may also hate LeBron or other players more, as well.

But it is not a significant factor here to explain the pattern of hate Harden receives. It serves more as a way to avoid talking about what really annoys people about Harden so that we (Rockets fans) can collectively put our heads in the sand, to use your metaphor.

Blurr#7 and HP3 like this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

They got nephews running Yahoo Sports now?