1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Titans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 27, 2012.

1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i believe that beating the Colts is our density.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Denver, Indy would all prefer not to play Texans.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. macalu

Hello Mcfly. ;)

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Ya, I know. We only clinched playoffs.

What I meant was, he got to see the Texans whoop his team in person...knowing, that we are on our way to Division Champs again. :)

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Ten years of futility and disappointment (without adding in most of the Oiler years) is a psychological hurdle to overcome. I think some of us are still holding our breath. I know this, I for one am taking nothing for granted. I am very hopeful, but the doubts linger. I may not want a championship as much as the players do, but I want it in the worst way. I have been following professional and college football in Houston for over fifty years. Don't underestimate the possibility of a Houston Sports team crushing your spirit into a million pieces. Trust me, I want to believe, but I have been down the road of disappointment so many times. The closer it gets the more apprehensive I feel. I tell myself that it is just a silly game and doesn't really mean anything important, but that doesn't work.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I've tried that approach. It's failed for me also :(

8. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

Amazed the lack of attention the Texans continue to get...

Watching NFL Gameday Final (NFL Network) and the game gets 2 highlights? Not one play from the Defense and the 6 TOs. I never really care that much about media attentions, prefer to not have it actually, but it is just crazy to not give a damn about a now 11-1 team, no matter who they play.

2 highlights?!

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The Falcons are getting the same attention. It's all about reputation with the media. The Texans will have to earn that with postseason success. I personally don't mind it, the Texans will earn their attention through the postseason.

10. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Another great win by the Texans! A little stuck in the mud offensively in the second half. That's OK, though. Kubiak didn't want to show all his plays for next week's game against New England. :cool:

Loved the 4th and 1 call. They were able to score after that and pretty much make it an uphill battle for Tennessee.

With the win the Texans have clinched at least the 5 seed. There's no possibility of being the 6 seed.

A Colts loss next week against the Titans and a Texans win against the Patriots not only means a division title, but also a first round bye. They would clinch at least the 2 seed.

The Texans could clinch the 1 seed next week if the Colts lose to the Titans and the Broncos lose to the Raiders and the Ravens lose to the Redskins and the Texans beat the Patriots.

Even if all that doesn't happen the Texans can clinch the #1 seed if they beat the Patriots and Colts in the next two weeks.

11. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Post-game quotes:

TEXANS HEAD COACH GARY KUBIAK
    (on injuries)
    The first one is Brice McCain has a foot injury that’s being evaluated right now as we speak, obviously there are some concerns there, he did not come back to play. Garrett Graham has a concussion. We will start the process from that standpoint. Duane Brown did come back and played the whole game. That’s a positive. A little scary there. He took a good shot in the knee but he did come back and played the rest of the game. We got very thin defensive back wise, we got very thin personnel wise as far as things we do when Garrett went out, but boy we battled all day. We played great defense all day long. Offensively, we played well in the first half and played very poorly in the second half. I thought our kicking game was solid all day. I’m just proud of the guys. They are finding a way to get it done. We have got some issues but we go out there and keep battling. I’m very proud of them for finding a way to get into the playoffs. I’m happy for everyone back home. It’s nice to know we are going to play some more.

(on why the offense didn’t play well in the second half)
    I don’t know. I really don’t like the way we ran the ball. I’ll have to go back and look at it. I don’t know if we got some tired legs on some guys out there. It was obvious we did not run the ball well. If we are not running the ball and their sitting playing two deep, that’s what’s going to happen. I’m just disappointed I didn’t get the ball to Andre (Johnson). I am disappointed in myself, let me start there. I have got to find ways to get Andre involved and in the second half I didn’t do it, I couldn’t find a way to do it. We battled and defense is great. We found a way to get it done.

(on clinching a playoff spot)
    It’s amazing how last year’s atmosphere was when we clinched against Cincinnati. It was euphoric. They are very happy. We’re very happy on this plane ride, I’ll tell you that. I think they expected to get there and they got there today and obviously there’s a lot more to work on and accomplish before the season is over. We have got to continue to push our group and we got some young guys that are playing well for this football team because we have got some issues.

(on defense creating turnovers today)
    It’s funny how things work in football. I just told the team, you come in here missing some key defensive players and you think you have got to play really well offensively and we turn around and may have played as good of a defensive game as we have played this year. That just tells you you’re a team; that you don’t really care how you win or you don’t have a preconceived notion of how you are going to win you just go out and play. They were exceptional today, six turnovers and six sacks; I think those are a couple of franchise records. The coaches did a great job. You look at the job Vance (Joseph) did and Reggie (Herring) did this week getting some young guys ready to play is exceptional.

(on J.J. Watt’s performance)
    It’s off the charts. I think we are looking at a guy that is as good of a defensive player that I have seen on the field and continues to do it every week. A little sick this week and missed some time and goes out there and plays the way he plays. He is leading the way. We called on some veterans to lead the way today and I think they did that.

(on working with a thin secondary)
    Roc (Carmichael) played a ton of snaps and (Brandon) Harris played a lot of snaps. That’s where we are at. We were down to seven guys the second half of the game when Brice (McCain) went out so that makes it difficult. We actually had (DeVier) Posey in line and said you may have to go in there and cover somebody. You only get to suit so many. We only have one healthy guy that didn’t suit and that was Cody White. Hopefully we will get these guys back we have an extra day this week.

(on the explanation of the Antonio Smith fumble recovery)
    They blew the whistle. I think it could be a touchdown for us but unfortunately they blew a whistle and it’s not. There’s nothing you can do about it. We did a great job of getting turnover all day long.

TEXANS WR LESTAR JEAN
    (on what it felt like to score his first touchdown of the season)
    I was excited. It’s always exciting to get in the end zone.

(on if he anticipated scoring today)
    No, I was just going out there and whenever Coach put me in just doing whatever they asked me to do.

(on if he had been practicing differently this week)
    No, I’ve just been practicing normal—same thing all the time.

(on playing for an NFL team)
    It feels good to be out there. To be in the NFL it’s just a blessing; it feels good.

TEXANS LB TIM DOBBINS
    (on coming back to his hometown of Nashville)
    Very exciting — I didn’t play last week due to a little injury, but right now I want to thank the training staff for helping it get better.

(on how difficult it was to battle back from his injury to play this week)
    It wasn’t tough at all. The training staff did a good job of getting me back—it felt good.

(on if he thought he was going to return his interception for a touchdown)
    I was definitely smelling the end zone — I just have to get there. That’s my second one and I just can’t get to the end zone, but I’m definitely trying to get in the end zone.

(on how special today’s defensive performance was because of the injuries the defense is battling)
    Every time I’m on the field it’s special — just to have a good day. It’s an opportunity for me to go out there and play and show my teammates I know what I’m doing, and that the coaches are doing a good job of getting me in the right spots at the right time.

TEXANS FB JAMES CASEY
    (on scoring another touchdown today)
    It felt great, it’s one of the best feelings in the world to get in the end zone and score a touchdown in the NFL. I didn’t have anything planned, it really wasn’t my focus going into the game to have something planned if I scored a touchdown, but it felt good to get in. It was a good play design by our offensive coaches, and Matt (Schaub) got me the ball and it just felt good to get in.

(on clinching a playoff spot)
    It feels great. It’s a lot different feeling this year than it was last year because we have a lot higher aspirations this year, but still we clinched the playoffs and that’s hard to do. We’re in it now—we have a shot. We have other things we want to do too. We want to clinch the division, we want to get home field advantage, so we have a lot of work to do and are already looking forward. We know we have a really big game against New England on Monday night, so we’re excited about that. Everybody is happy we’re in the playoffs, but we still have a lot of work to do.

(on his touchdown proving to be an important score in the game)
    Yeah, it was early on, but unfortunately we couldn’t get the offense going in the second half like we wanted to. I felt like I could have done a lot better in some other situations, but I got a touchdown so that makes up for a little bit.

TEXANS DE J.J. WATT
    (on how the Texans’ defense played today)
    I think the defense played great. It’s what we’ve been looking for the last couple of weeks and obviously we’ve had some struggles the last two weeks, but today is what we’re used to and how we’re used to playing—the turnovers, the momentum swings, the big plays that is our defense.

(on Gary Kubiak saying that he is playing off the charts)
    I mean that’s a compliment, it’s an honor. I have to give all the credit to my teammates and coaches, but I’m not done yet. We still have games to play and I still have a lot of football left. I’m really excited about where I’m headed.

(on being only the second player in NFL history to have 15 or more sacks and pass breakups in a season)
    I knew going into today that I had a chance at Reggie White’s record for batted balls, and growing up idolizing Reggie White — growing up in Wisconsin as a Packers fan — to break his record is almost incomprehensible. I almost can’t put into words — it means a lot to me. It’s special, but there is a lot left to play and I’m really excited about where I’m headed, hopefully I break my own record.

(on becoming the first player in NFL history to have as many sacks and breakups in a season as he has this year)
    Anytime you’re the only person to ever do something, it’s crazy, it’s wild, but as I’ve said all along, if you want to be the greatest, if you want to be the best, you have to be willing to want to do things that have never been done before. This is one of those things, but like I said all of the credit has to go to my teammates and coaches. I wouldn’t be anywhere without them.

(on how disappointed he was for DE Antonio Smith when his fumble recovery was inadvertently blown dead)
    We were all excited for him. I didn’t even know I knocked the ball out and then I saw him running for the end zone and saw it on the replay. That would have been awesome (had he scored the touchdown), I would have loved to see the ninja — I’m sure he would have done something crazy, jump in the stands or something, so I’m sure we would have got one heck of a treat there. I know it’s frustrating for him that he didn’t get it.

(on if he took anything away from Reggie White’s technique to help him have similar success)
    I watched a little bit more of his pass rush, but he was out on the edge and I do a little bit more inside, so we kind of play two different positions, but obviously he’s one of, if not the best all-time, so you have to give him a lot of credit and it’s an honor to just be in the same sentence as him.

(on not letting a young team like the Titans get away with mistakes)
    Yeah, we want to frustrate them. Obviously, they have a young quarterback in there and he’s going to be a heck of a player, but today we kind of got after him and frustrated him a little bit, and that was our goal. The defense played great and I think the defense did a heck of a job — I’m very proud of how we played today.

(on what it’s like playing on a defense with so many guys making big plays)
    Oh, it’s a blast. That’s why this defense is so fun, that’s why this team is so fun — everyone makes plays, it’s not just one or two guys, it’s every single player. Everybody is happy for each other, nobody is selfish, nobody gets mad when somebody else makes a play, everybody truly wants what is best for everybody else and it’s a lot of fun and you have a lot of success when that’s the case.

(on his thoughts going into arguably the biggest game of the season next Monday night)
    New England has obviously been an AFC power for a while. I know it’s going to be a big deal. We’re going to prepare just like every other week with intensity, with focus, with drive and we’re really excited about our chances.

(on what it’s like to be having a season like this individually and as a team)
    It’s crazy. I’m a 23-year old kid just trying to have some fun, and that’s just what I’m doing out here. It’s crazy all the records and this and that and being 11-1 — I know this doesn’t happen all the time in the NFL, and it definitely doesn’t happen so quick for everybody. I am very appreciative and very humbled, and I’m not done—I’m very young and I have a lot of great football ahead of me. I am really excited, I know I leave some plays on the field and am always excited to go out there and make those plays.

(on what it feels like to clinch a playoff spot)
    It feels great. I think the message you’ll get from our guys, which is good, is that we expected it. We’re happy about it, but we’re not satisfied by it by any means. You have to be in the dance to go win the whole thing, but we want more. We want the division title, we’re looking home field advantage, we’re looking for the bye and all of those things. All we can do is keep winning games, and this is just another one, this is the 11th one, so now we’re looking for number 12.

TEXANS QB MATT SCHAUB
    (on finding a way to win)
    We sure did. Our defense stepped up and was huge today. I think it was six turnovers, especially a couple of them down in our own end and giving us a short field and then when they are going in and we are stopping them on fourth down a couple of times. They just played lights out with a couple of guys down. I can’t say enough about how well they played. Offensively it was tough sledding there in the second half. We came out and started the game fast and found some plays, but then in the second half we just were hurting ourselves with some penalties and not staying on the field. We have to find a way to be better at that.

(on clinching a playoff berth for the second year in a row)
    Yeah, it’s a great feeling after all of the hard work put in by these guys in this locker room to know that we are in. It’s a great feeling to know that we have reached that goal, but we have a lot more to accomplish and we are looking forward to that.

(on the touchdown to Lestar Jean)
    It was phenomenal. To go in and work on that play throughout practice throughout the week and it never really went to that route to the guy, but it played out that way. They had Dre (Andre Johnson) covered underneath and he ran a great route and made the catch on the sideline and made someone miss and got up the field to score. That was a great play by him. It was a great effort by Lestar.

(on Lestar Johnson making plays when he has the chance)
    Yeah he really does. There was the one where I scrambled out of the pocket and unfortunately he got called for some interference, but he still made a play on the sideline on the football. It was a great play to continue against a tough coverage with the play we had called, but he kept working on it.

(on playing so much better offensively in the first half of the game)
    It really was. We found ways to make plays and move the football down the field and convert third downs in the first half, and in the second half our defense really won the game for us. They created all of those turnovers and stops on fourth down. The game ball goes to the defense today because we weren’t holding up our end on offense today. We have to stay on the field and be better on first down and they made some of the penalties that we had happen to us.

(on watching the defense play so well)
    It was awesome because I knew how the second half was going offensively, we kept hurting ourselves. We weren’t able to stay on the football field and we kept putting our defense out there and they just kept rallying them. It was inspiring to watch them play.

(on one unit playing much better than the other)
    If you look at the last month of our season, it’s been that way. We pick each other up and we just keep playing despite some things that happen to our football team. We just look to the next guy and everybody does a little bit more and we find a way to get a win. We have seen that now over the last four games and we are just going to keep pushing each other and demand a lot and our guys are stepping up and making plays.

(on getting productivity from new players)
    It’s huge because we know how much other guys are going to contribute and be a part of what we do, but the more those other guys get involved in making plays, Lestar (Jean) making that first touchdown play was huge. It just lifts everyone up because we know what we are going to get from other areas. But to have that happen, and to see what Keshawn (Martin) is doing in the return game, and then we he gets an opportunity offensively he is making some plays. It’s just huge for us.

(on clinching the playoffs and a more business-like approach)
    It’s just great to be playing and to know that you are going to continue your season into January because that’s what we are all here for, but we have our sights set on bigger things. It’s nice to know that we are going to have that opportunity to be in the tournament but we have more things that we want to accomplish.

(on if they should potentially rest any starters down the stretch going into the playoffs)
    I’m here to play. I’m a football player and I am a quarterback of this team. I want to play and I want to be out there. You want to compete every chance you get because you only get so many of them in this business.

(on if he was relieved to see Duane Brown coming back into the game after being injured)
    Yeah it was because when I saw him coming running back because you really never know. You don’t know what the issues are. For him to be wincing and in that much pain for the trainers to come out, you know that it’s significant. To see him come back and jog onto the field it was. We have confidence in what Andrew Gardner can do, but Duane has been playing at such a high level and in my opinion he is the best left tackle in this league. To see him coming back out there it is a sigh of relief.

(on the running game not being great today)
    Well it’s hard for me to say. It’s something that I’m going to have to go back and watch it being that I’m carrying out my fakes and not really getting a chance to see how things are working and meshing up front on the second level with their linebackers and such. It’s something that we need to be better at. It’s something that we pride ourselves in being able to run the ball in those types of situations so we just have to find a way to be a little more consistent with it.

TEXANS OLB WHITNEY MERCILUS
    (on practicing forcing turnovers)
    We practice at takeaways. It’s just repetition at practice and getting the ball out how we can and that’s what happens.

(on making the playoffs two years in a row)
    For the team it’s huge to make it into the playoffs back-to-back that they have done it and I am glad to be part of it. Not many rookies have the opportunity like this and all we have to do is handle business each week and just go all the way.

(on if he is concerned about all of the injuries on defense)
    It’s very concerning because it just gets thin. It challenges young guys to step up when guys go down and they have to be ready. Just like me when it happened to Brooks (Reed) and I got to step in. We have a lot of talent and we can definitely go all the way with what we have.

TEXANS WR ANDRE JOHNSON
    (on the offense not playing well today in the second half)
    I just think that we didn’t play well as a whole. I don’t look at it as one person. In this game the coaches have to try to put you in the right situations and you have to go out and execute the play. One person can mess up and mess up the whole play. It takes a collective effort in order to go out and play well. I just think as an offense as a whole we just didn’t play well.

(on the difference between clinching the playoffs this year versus last year)
    To me it’s that we have experienced it. I think that’s the biggest thing. We know what to expect now. Last year everyone was so anxious because we have never done it before. This is familiar territory now and we have bigger goals that we are trying to accomplish. We knew what to expect coming in today and we won the game.

(on being 6-0 on the road)
    I just think that there is now panic and everyone knows their role. When we have guys go down we have guys step in and play well. What the defense did today was awesome. You couldn’t ask any more of what they did today. I don’t think that a lot of people picked our defense to play that way with the key pieces that were out. It just shows you that even from last year, when guys went out we had guys step up and play and I think that we learned a lot about our team from last year.

TEXANS WR KEVIN WALTER
    (on if the approach has become more business-like)
    Oh it is, yeah. Every week is more business-like because the stakes get higher. We look forward to it.

(on what Gary Kubiak said in the locker room after the game)
    He said that it was a heck of a team win and that no matter what we have to get better. We have a big opportunity next week when we go up to New England.

(on the younger receivers getting involved)
    Those guys are making big plays and it’s very impressive. They do it in practice so it doesn’t surprise me.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...t-Titans/31eaed5d-807e-42fd-9c2c-22e94c16c41d

Titans quotes in link.

12. macalu

gotta live in the moment dude. if you're going to reserve your enthusiasm every time the team gets closer to the Super Bowl, you'll never going enjoy a season. is it possible the Texans lose their first playoff game this year? yes, but so freakin' what. is it also not possible that we win the Super Bowl? hell freakin' yea! embrace it man. i know you're a sucker for momentum and think things like past performances are indicative of future results. let it go.

there's always a first time for everything. ask the Houston Rockets in 1995 and the New Orleans Saints in 2010.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Solid win, even though I got a bit nervous the last couple minutes of the 3rd quarter when they scored on the big play. Had flashbacks of last season's titans game when I started seeing 3rd stringers getting PT late.

Still can't believe Antonio's touchdown got taken away. I have no idea what the refs were looking at.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Damn, man. Reading this post actually makes me a little sad for you - especially the bolded part.

I hope you don't approach life this way. You gotta stop and smell the roses, man.

Being in the midst of a great season is so much fun. Even if we don't eventually win the Superbowl, we will still look back one day and remember these as "the good ol' days." I'm sorry you can't just enjoy them while they're here. Being a Houston fan, you should know they don't last forever.

1 person likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This man has it right.

I know tons of UH fans last season were sitting around waiting to be disappointed, which kept them from enjoying a truly kickass and once in a lifetime season. Not me, though. I soaked up every minute of it and wasn't even mad when it went off the rails at the end, simply because I had so thoroughly enjoyed it until then.

16. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

The interview after the game with Jean he seemed like he was bummed out over something or he was trying his best to do a Andre Johnson and not show emotion one way or another. I hope it is the later.

Granted I only have heard him on the radio in preseason/training camp but he sounded a lot less animated yesterday compared to then.

17. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I seem to remember an interview with AJ, where he said that Jean is the only player that talks less than he does.

18. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Wasn't sure why JJ isn't credited with a 2nd sack on the Locker fumble in the 2nd half? Can anyone explain this?

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

that was Martin, not Jean. iirc

it was an illegal hit. You can't try to knock the football out of someone's hands. $50,000 fine inc.

#479 tallanvor, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  20. macalu

i believe Locker fumbled before Watt got to him which negates the sack.