1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans sign Cecil Shorts III

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Mar 16, 2015.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The deep balls will be DeAndre's responsibility. Everybody else has 5 yards to get open, then that ball is coming out in a hurry.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Nice Guarantee money. Wonder how much it counts against the cap this year?

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/10/22/4865268/jaguars-cecil-shorts-iii-drops-2013

Of the 74 passes that have headed in his direction, PFF deemed 45 of them as catchable for Shorts (I know), of which he hauled in 39. That 13.33 percent drop rate ranks as the 14th highest in the NFL among the 51 players that have been targeted on at least 50 percent of their team's pass plays. Yeesh. That sounds bad, but when looking at who else has struggled to make the plays available to them, it doesn't seem so rough...

4. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I view Shorts like I view Hoyer. A diamond (or at least a quartz) in a turd pile.

The Texans will bring out the best in them.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

More like a kernel of corn in a turd pile.

He's not a good wide receiver, but he's better than anyone we had outside of Hopkins. He doesn't have great hands and he can't stay healthy. But he's a professional and he runs good routes. Glad to have him, still hope they draft a WR that can compete for the #2 job.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Ladies and gentlemen, your new starting WR, Cecil Shorts III!

[​IMG]

Seriously though, 40-45 catches, 600-650 yards, 5-6 touchdowns. I just want him to move the chains and feast on those underneath routes. I view this signing as high floor-low ceiling, which is exactly what we want for that position.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Especially with a low guaranteed contract, not too much of a gamble. I'm hoping they get Maxx Williams(TE) and Dorsett (WR) in the 1st 2 rounds.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He was on my fantasy team a few years ago. He was pretty good with Chad Henne in there.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

His name sounds familiar.

10. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

When and if there is a more consistent quarterback, drops tend to lessen for MOST WRs. When you're confident that you don't have to locate a ball's trajection half the time, the mind does not play tricks on you as often. I'll have to rely on that to hope that it's just a product of the QB/WR relationship situation at JAX.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think Cecil Shorts has a good chance at more yards this coming year for us than old man Andre in Indy.

12. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Solid guy. Has had injury plagued seasons, and hasn't worked with much at the QB position. Yet he's produced some good numbers here and there.

Considering the genius of the Jags coaching regimes over the years, I would expect to see him at/or close to near his best.

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I doubt that. Dre has a stud throwing him passes for the first time in his career. I'm sure he will have extra motivation to prove ppl wrong.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Dre is old, declining, has a long injury history, and will be the 3rd option on his team. If they try to force him enough targets to where he gets 100 receptions it'll hurt the team especially given that he's almost a lock to miss at least a game or two to injury. As a Texans fan, I certainly hope the Colts are forcing passes up to Dre again and again, it'll make the Colts easier to beat.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

3rd option?? Who is option #2? I can see Dre with a 1200 yds season and Shorts with about 700.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Clear cut first option is TY Hilton, 2nd option is the 2 TE's, 3rd option is old man Dre.

Dre's probably looking at 800 yards and 4 TD's if he manages to stay healthy whereas Shorts could easily see 900 if he stays healthy.

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Man, you on the topic of AJ is just hilarious.

Your eagerness to wash your hands of Dre has got you expecting 900 yards from Cecil Shorts in a BOB offense.

Andre will not be taking a backseat to Dwayne freaking Allen.

Hell, Reggie Wayne didn't even take a backseat to him (or Fleener for that matter).

18. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Lol.....

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you're going to be a Colts fan, you should probably learn a little bit more about your team. Fleener will get about 90 targets, Allen is good for about 60 giving you 150 TE targets. You will maybe see 120 Andre targets if he stays healthy which gives you about 70 receptions which probably nets you between 750 and 850 yards. That's what I see as pretty much best case scenario for him and obviously that's only if he stays healthy.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not sure if he is just being a troll or if he really believes the nonsense he is typing.