1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Saints

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msn

msn Member

LOL is that some NeckCar saying or something? aahahahahahahaaa!!

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't know, man... "a few more minutes" at that stage of the game is pretty critical. The Saints had 4:13 remaining when they started their winning drive.

And you know, thinking back on it - how did we feel about the Manning personal foul? A lot of us were probably being engulfed by inevitability at that point - but force them to go an additional 15 yards and....... I thought it was.... iffy, wasn't it? Or am I angrily mis-remembering?

4. Hey Now!

I.... mostly agree-ish. He's certainly not *the* only reason we lost those games, and yes, he has put us in position to win or tie quite a few of those. I think we're going to know a heckuva lot more about Schaub after this year. The schedule is going to ease up considerably in 4 weeks and the division looks uniformly awful and theirs for the taking.

One thing I will say: This is still a young, inexperienced team. Last year... well, last year, they probably lose to the Saints 1,345-33. But there IS a process. You don't suddenly win games like this overnight (and they've never really won games like this previously) - it takes some falling down and getting back up. I'm really psyched to see what the do against the Steelers.

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

just to be on the record, i think schaub is a good QB... definitely good enough to get us to the playoffs this year.

i just don't have much faith in him beyond that.

6. msn

msn Member

Thank you so much; I finally understand why they keep Kareem Freaking Jackson on this roster. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's my point. If not for the fluke Kevin Walter TD, it wouldn't have been their "winning" drive, it would have been their "putting the game on ice" drive. They would have had the ball up by 8 with 4:13 remaining. No reason to think they wouldn't have scored on that drive and put the game away either.

Of course, this is all Monday morning conjecture. No one will ever know for sure.

Don't really remember it, as I had crying twins to deal with for much of the 4th quarter...but it's funny in a close game how many little things happen that we don't even remember but that totally changed the outcome. Dropped pass here, bad call there, stupid penalty here, bad punt there, things you brush over when they happen but don't consider until after the game. Sometimes not even until the next day.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you really expected the saints to score 23 (almost 26) points in the 4th quarter? really?

Sure, i expected them to put some points on the board but I don't know how anyone can "expect" a 23 point quarter

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The young team thing seemingly went out the window this year.

Offense:

Schaub - 30
    AJ - 30
    OL - Avg age is about 28.5
    OD - 28
    KW - 30
    Jacoby - 27
    RBs - fairly young but most always are

Defense:

Mario - 28
    JJ - 22
    Smith - 29
    Cody - 28
    Cushing - 24
    Demeco -28
    JoJo - 27
    Quin - 25
    Manning - 29
    Barwin - 24
    Kareem (lol) - 23
    Allen - 28

Obviously the D is younger, but they're not as young as they were last year by adding two vets where we had a lot of inexperience. If you take Kareem out of the equation and replace him with Allen (god I hope so), they're 26.5 years old on average. And the offense is 28 on average. Not terribly young. Old enough by NFL standards to not expect total noob mistakes, anyway.

1 person likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

Yeah, it's a slippery slope, for sure. The bottom line is that the Texans had an opportunity to dictate the outcome of the game and choked it up.

Ugh, we're rolling to #2 and I'm steadfastly stomping up and down that we only let the doctor put one back. I do not want twins. NO TWINS!!

11. Hey Now!

When it comes to winning. They haven't played a ton of meaningful games.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

We went from 27th to 21st (young to old) in the NFL from 2010 to 2011.

Our defense is now 30th out of 32 in terms of age, though. Only moved up two spots from last year :(

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look there are no excuses, this team is good enough to win now, and everyone was part of the problem, Schaub, Kubiak, Phillips, Jackson...everyone.

They can learn from this.......

I for one am also happy that there is some real football discussion going on without everyone pointing fingers and calling others haters, or jock sniffers or whatever.....

I think we all feel this team can be more than decent, there is a real opportunity for this team to be this year's 2009 Saints.

DD

1 person likes this.
  14. msn

msn Member

Excellent point. You are exactly right, you jock-sniffing hater.

:grin:

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is a truism, I hate sniffing jocks.....

;)

DD

16. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

To put things in perspective though, this is the same Saints team that put up 34 pts against the Packers and 30 pts against the Bears, 2 very good defensive teams.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i have never "expected" a team to rattle off 23 points in a quarter...doesn't mean it can't happen but expecting it is another story. Again, there is still no excuse for that

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't expect 23 points, but my feeling the whole week and even during the game was the Saints offense would erupt in the 2nd half if they started slow.

19. Relentless

Relentless Member

My Giants started 0-2 when they won the superbowl a few years ago.

We're good.

20. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Problem is that offense couldn't stay on the field in the 4th. 3 and out, INT, fluke TD, and TO on downs just aren't going to get it done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.