1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Ravens 9/22/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Another franchise that made a mistake to draft a young QB before having viable parts around him.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Manziel-only fans? No such thing. Most likely they are Aggie fans. ;) Same for Case(and those calling for him. Most likely UH fans).

Work ethic and dedication? Haven't really heard that until now. Not to say you're wrong but..

I'd "settle" for Mariota if Manziel is "too risky".

3. ths balla

ths balla Member

Work ethic??!! The guy spent most of his offseason training with QB guru George Whitfield. He got stronger physically and increased his arm strength, along with fixing his mechanics and working on staying in the pocket which he's shown this season.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Maybe work ethic wasnt the right word, but Manziel needs more dedication to the game and less focus on his celebrity status. Just because you work with a QB coach doesnt mean youre fully dedicated or have good work ethic. David Carr worked hard too...but the extra dedication it takes to be a star, he chose to focus on family instead. Manziel seems to be focusing on being around celebrities, alcohol, and fun. It's only one offseason, and he's only a kid, but he's about to go into a grown up profession with millions and millions on the line.

Listening to NFL scouts this summer, theyve been talking about Manziel's focus, so not sure why there is so much shock around my comment. His commitment is a question mark...and that's what will make a difference when the draft comes. He gets sent home from a QB camp...his father says he was sick and dehydrated (alcohol related?) but Johnny says he overslept...which means that McCarron chose not to wake him up (that would be weird of McCarron). Clearly, the story doesnt add up. When you have a chance to be a part of that kind of opportunity, you dont slack off. Does Johnny want to be exceptional or just good enough? If he wants to be exceptional, then he needs to cut out his antics off the field, its as simple as that...the "he's only 20 years old" excuse doesnt make sense, when he has so much at stake. Enjoy college, but dont be dumb. When you make poor decisions when so much is on the line...then chances are you continue to make poor decisions over time. That's a question mark regarding commitment and dedication.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000222816/article/should-johnny-manziels-offfield-behavior-concern-nfl-teams

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-aggies/20130902-columnist-johnny-manziel-is-about-to-become-a-marked-man.ece

In regards to his offseason...

5. rezdawg

Im fine with drafting Manziel...the guy has skill and he can be a game changer. I'd be more concerned about his size and taking NFL hits than anything else. Having said that, he seems like the kind of player that Bob will want to stay away from. My comments about him just reflect what I have heard some NFL scouts say on the radio...because his off field incidents do have an impact. And those same off field incidents raise a flag about his focus on football.

Mariota would be good too. I like a lot of the QBs in this draft.

1 person likes this.
  6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Tajh is my pick in the first round if available. I would trade this years and next years first for him.

I think he is that special. Being 6'1 he has the speed, but he has a good build and if you watch his tape, he has great feet and steps in to on coming pressure on his throws. Give me that guy, with his arm strength throwing with all of those weapons. The next round you draft the best available lineman and call it a day. Wade Smith is not a pro bowl caliber player, and either him or Newton need to be replaced.

7. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

+1 for Boyd. Arm strength and mobility..... Didn't know they exist. Together.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Is he a winner and a leader?

Does he have heart?

Let's get to the real questions.

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Cold hard truth: The Texans just aren't a very good team. They should be 0-3, but the Chargers and Titans gave games away. Still early and I'm supporting the team 100%, but I have to be realistic when it comes to this collection of players.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Broncos shoulda beat the Ravens last year in the playoffs. Works both ways.

11. Mr. Clutch

You are what your record says you are

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

As much as Brady,Brees, and Peyton had.

But that goes for David Carr,Jamarcus Russel, and Blaine Gabbert as well.

Give me those intangibles.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They weren't as good as everybody thought they were at 11-1

They're not as bad as everybody thinks they are when they should be 0-3 (even though they are 2-1).

14. Mr. Clutch

The Texans are peaking at the right time.

15. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enVtvLyF2wI

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/enVtvLyF2wI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

In another two weeks they will be 3-3, which is about what the Texans will end up being this year, a .500 team. Maybe they will do better if the offensive line improves.

Just my opinion, we'll see what happens.

17. rezdawg

We're much better than a .500 team (and we'll be possibly 2-3 in two weeks :) )

We shot ourselves in the foot yesterday with the pick 6, punt return TD, and a franchise record in penalties. In other words, we gave the game to Baltimore.

10-11 wins this year is there for us.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe... or they'd be 5-1 and everybody would be going nuts.

Still wouldn't matter if they end up 1 and out in the playoffs.

They may very well be 3-4 heading to the bye week.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't see how this is so hard to understand for people.

The seeding really doesn't matter in the NFL, sure you want homefield but if you NEED homefield advantage to go to the superbowl then you aren't going to win the thing any ways seeing as it's at a neutral site.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Packers and Patriots sure made a point to shatter that bravado last season.