1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Panthers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, I guess the "silver lining" is that with the way some of the people who claim to be Texans fans act, it makes it not so bad that the team is losing. If those people really are Texans fans, they don't deserve to have their team win.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I thought the drive that killed us was the long TD drive by the panthers right after we tied it at 10. I felt like we got some momentum from our TD drive and a 3-and-out would have just given us even more.

But instead, we give up a 14 play, 80 yard TD drive that took 7:25 off the clock and killed any chance of our offense staying in rhythm. The 3 penalties from our defense didn't help either....

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah we really needed our defense to step up and they just crumbled.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The 8 drops break down like this:

Polk - 2
    Nate - 2
    Cecil - 1
    Graham - 1
    Mumph - 1
    Hopkins - 1</p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/645857040682774528">September 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FWIW, revised numbers if the 8 passes weren't dropped is 60 % (completion percentage) <a href="https://t.co/FAG8OpNSJm">https://t.co/FAG8OpNSJm</a></p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/645978485345808385">September 21, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Out of 58 passes, I had 5 that were truly bad passes on Mallett's behalf. Here they are...</p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/645979296478003201">September 21, 2015</a></blockquote>

5. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Our schedule isn't too bad after this. If you can't beat TB, then yes, commence panic mode. Until then, I'm calm.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

And just couple weeks ago, many fans in this forum are 100% sure that this group of WRs are the best that this franchise ever had.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They still are.....but that doesn't mean they can't have a really bad game. Perhaps you don't remember the short history of this franchise, but the Texans have never had a worth a damn WR corps.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All i see in my head the scene from dodgeball when Patches is throwing wrenches at the team. Mallett's head on Patches, and the texans wideouts/rbs as the teammates. Feel free photo shoppers.

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Just couple weeks ago before the season started, I posted the stats regarding WR drop balls in this forum comparing what AJ and Hopkin had last year to Cecil and Washington.

Its not even close and its one of the many reasons why we are able to sign these guys off the street for dirt cheap.

And then our beloved and famous "3rd round draft pick" Jalen Strong, which I pointed out whose called out by his own coach for not satisfied with his work ethic and performance, while others insist he will be a big part of this group, wasn't even active this week and got replaced by a undrafted rookie from the practicing squad.

So there you have, the best WR group ever.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Sorry, I dont count it as a "drop" when you are throwing to a RB at 120 MPH when the dude is sitting 8 yards away from you. Its a running back...not a receiver.

There is something that needs to be said about "touch".

At least 3-4 of those arent "drops"...they're poor throws.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This game isn't a loss if we had a decent offensive line. The inability to run cost us the game. Brown, X and Foster can't return fast enough.

I have no idea on why people were so confident about winning this week.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm pretty negative on Strong. Tape doesn't match his reputation, and statistics back up tape.

He is not a good "catcher" of the football. He doesn't run routes well and he doesn't have great speed. I hope I'm wrong on him, but I expect him to be a bust.

As for the drop stats on Shorts and Washington, look, only one person on this board would take those guys over Andre Johnson. When people talk about the receiving corp being strong, they mean the depth. Prior to last year it was always Andre and a bunch of nothing. Last year it was Andre and DeAndre and a bunch of nothing.

The idea behind the "deepest" WR corp we've ever had is that you can go 4 deep with guys who are at least qualified to be professional football players, which honestly has never been the case on this team before.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wilfork is correct.
    The lose this week there is the very real danger of starting 0-5

Rocket River

14. rezdawg

From PFF:

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but no one cares what you personally count as a "drop". When the ball hits you in the hands and you don't catch it, that's a drop.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If our historically great WR corpse (one of the best in the league) is "dropping" passes maybe the QB has accuracy and touch issues

17. rezdawg

PFF, which is much better at analyzing game play, determined 6 drops.

And even with that, they graded Mallett as having one of the worst days this season.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I know you aren't a "think for yourself" type of person, but some of us are. PFF has some interesting metrics, but blindly going by their ratings without understanding context is a rookie mistake.

Again, the top 3 QB's for most yards in a season all time are a collective 1-5 in games where they were asked to pass as much as Mallett was this week....were you really expecting a great game all things considered?

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course why consider context? Just because the team asked more of Ryan Mallett on his 3rd ever start than Tom Brady or Drew Brees could ever handle at any point in their careers is no excuse right?

Why factor that in at all?

20. rezdawg

They grade on a per play basis.

On the flip side, if you are passing that many times, you should expect 6 dropped passes. Just like someone passing 30 times should expect a few dropped balls. You like to mention how there were so many drops...but in relation to how many times he threw the ball, it wasnt as bad as you make it out to be.

And what does record have to do with anything? Mallett didnt play well...and part of the reason he had to pass as much as he did is because he did not throw the ball like he was expected to. When you check down every other play or you panic under pressure or you're wildly inaccurate on intermediate throws, then you shouldnt get much sympathy.

Yes, we didnt have a run game...but Mallett was just as much to blame for the **** offense as the rest of the lineup.