1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Last time JJ did that badger came to town.

TheRealist137 and donkeypunch like this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

lol
    everybody trying to read the tea leaves

Rudyc281, donkeypunch and desihooper like this.
  4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting name drop, right?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...look-to-restock-in-corner-market-13786179.php

donkeypunch likes this.
  5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

C’mon down Patrick Peterson

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm guessing he's thinking about what to say at the UW commencement speech he's giving.

desihooper likes this.
  7. Roc Paint

I admire the extreme poker face the Texans have been playing throughout this off-season

Time to let the chips fall

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

You telling me Texans rather have a 2021 3rd Round Comp pick instead of a 2019 1st and possibly 2 2020 2nd Rounders?

whag00 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

I'm seeing reports they're gonna trade up for Andre Dillard. No.

I'm seeing reports their 2nd biggest need is RB. No.

Where have these people been, what planet have they been on?

I could see why someone might think they'd trade up for Dillard but it isn't going to happen. He's not worth giving up a 2nd round pick for. They're trying to get starters. Not right away but eventually. I think there's a better chance they trade back and getting an extra pick or two than trading up and giving up a pick. They value those 2nd round picks.

(Why no interest in TJ Yeldon?) They just didn't. They want a RB in the draft at some mid-round, maybe 3rd round, who can be a really good receiver who can catch, line up in the slot, maybe outside kinda like Lamar Miller did before he had to stay in & block all the time.

(Do we move up in the draft for an OT? Peter King had the Texans moving up) Will not happen. They won't trade up for an OT. Say Dillard fell to right in front of them and someone would take a 5 or a 6,...they're not giving up one of those twos. They think they're getting a starter there. Besides needing a LT, they need at least 2 CBs. I'm convinced by the time the 3rd round is over, they will have taken two corners. ... The only consensus LT in the first round is Dillard and he'll go early. In the 2nd, there's a lot. Good chance they'll take one in the 2nd. I had them taking DeAndre Baker, corner from Georgia. He'd fit in great. I think Greedy Williams will be gone. Good chance Baker & Byron Murphy are there. Rock Ya Sin could sneak into the first round. I think unless a tackle falls, they'll have corners higher rated & take a corner.

(Thoughts on Dalton Risner?) They wouldn't trade up and don't think you'd have to to get him. He's played guard, right tackle, center. They're not looking for inside players. Fulton at RG, Martinas Rankin at LG and Martin at center. Right now, the LT would be Davenport or Kalil. The RT is Seantrel Henderson. If you bring in a RT, that doesn't solve your problem at LT. People say they need to get better up front. Yes they do. Risner will I think go in the bottom half of the first or early 2nd. I don't think he'll be there at 54/55.

(Will Houston ever host the NFL draft?) I do. No doubt we'll get a draft. Will we get it before Vegas & Los Angeles? I don't think so.

(Chances for the Super Bowl?) Schedule is so much more difficult. Texans be better & not be 11-5. This year I picked them 9-7. I don't think they'll win the Super Bowl this year. I'm told Deshaun Watson has impressed everybody with where he is mentally right now. They've been blown away. Watson has made tremendous strides in the offense, the defense & the new QB coach Carl Smith, who came over from Seattle because his grand kid are here & son works for the Texans, he has been impressed with Watson. They're fired up about that. If they don't get him better protection & don't improve CB, they'll be in a lot of shootouts. ... I think they'll get off to a good start, struggle in the middle & the schedule at the end is winnable. I think they'll compete with the Colts for the division title but I'll, like everyone else around the country, pick Indianapolis to win the AFC South.

(Will the Texans go OL with their first selection?) They're not looking for inside guys. They're looking for tackles, a left tackle. They like Seantrel Henderson but you better have someone else. They know they need a tackle. They're not gonna take a guy at 23 that they have rated 32. They'd trade back & try to get another pick. I think they'll take tackle or corner right now. They need two corners. Joseph is 35. Roby is on a one-year deal & didn't play well last year. Colvin is their slot corner & was a huge disappointment. Sometimes vets are like rookies. They're better in their 2nd year in the system. Colvin has to play better & stay healthy. They need another corner, two in the first three rounds.

(Chances Texans trade up for Greg Little, Jonah Williams or Greedy Williams?) They wouldn't have to trade up for Greg Little. They could probably trade back. I don't think they'll trade up for Greedy. There's too many CBs in that same class.

(OL/CB/OL with first 3 picks?) They should draft corner or OL and it wouldn't bother me at all if they took two OTs and two CBs and in the 5th/6th/7th worry about WR, RB, inside pass rusher. They won't take two corners & two OL. They still need a 3rd safety. Safety, while not a starting priority, it's very important for what Crennel does among DBs.

(Can the Texans get Greg Little in the 2nd?) I don't know. He's rated as a 2nd round pick. You're talking about 20 players going in the 2nd round so I'll say no. If they think he's a 2nd round pick, take him in the first. Trade down, trade out of the first & take him. I know they'd like an extra 3 and would like their 4th back. If they can get something next year, that'd be good too. Brian Gaine likes to get as many picks as he can.

(Will rookie OL make an immediate impact?) There's a lot that have, a lot that haven't. It just depends. ... Greg Little went against the best pass rushers in the SEC. The problem with him is he has really good ability but everyone says he didn't play up to that ability. I'd love to see them get Greg Little in here & see what Mike Devlin can do with him.

(Will they upgrade RB or WR in the draft or go after any remaining free agents?) Hard to upgrade WR in the 5th/6th/7th round. They have Vyncent Smith. Jester Weah spent the year on the PS. It'll be hard to get a veteran free agent in here & say you're number four. They want a 3rd back who is a good receiver, jack of all trades. They're happy with the shape D'Onta is in. They'd like a 4th WR. They'd really like someone inside who can rush the QB in passing situations up the middle. You can never have enough LBs and outside rushers. Inside pass rusher, 3rd RB, 4th WR, safety, you can see why Brian Gaine is looking for more picks.

(Can the Rockets beat Golden State in the 2nd round?) I would never pick them to beat Golden State until they do it. I'd love to see it go 7 games.

(Any chance of a draft day trade of Clowney?) I can see the Texans paying him like Trey Flowers. I don't see DeMarcus Lawrence money. There's always a chance. I believe we'll see Clowney when the season starts.

(Texans uniform upgrade?) If you want to change your uniform, it's a 2-year process. Bob McNair loved the colors - red, white & blue. I don't see them changing them anytime soon.

#2689 J.R., Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    everyday eddie, stevel and zeeshan2 like this.
  10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

desihooper likes this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Gaine should get some balls and acquire both Ramsey and Peterson. Legion of Boom defense

12. Roc Paint

Don’t think he’s not trying

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

#2693 J.R., Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Don't worry...... he will end up a Texan. It will be in 7-8 years, but make no mistake, he will get the Ed Reed treatment.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Will they take Roby back in a trade for Chris Harris?

18. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

Harris is a great player. Plays hard every play.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member