1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

At least they tried

Nook and tc0330 like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

But there was never a plan B. All those cheap one year deals to the other OL FAs and we sign Kalil.

Nook likes this.
  3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Who should've been their plan B? The general consensus was that Brown was the best tackle available; he signed an extraordinarily expensive deal. Where did you want them to go from there?

It was not a very good free agent class.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Plan B shouldve been what the bills are doing. If you know you have a weakness, at least bring in bodies to COMPETE.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Are they gonna hang banners at NRG

"Runner up for Nate Solder"
    "Runner up for Trent Brown"

Nook, Blake and mikol13 like this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Remember when Casserly went after Orlando Pace lol

J.R. likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

You know, you beat this drum pretty hard. I’ve laid back in the weeds for quite a while. I see some that go the opposite direction and say they spend wisely and tow the Texans line.

Have to say I’m coming around on your line of thinking more than ever. I don’t want the Texans to just spend freely because they have the money, but damn. There are some very pressing needs and I really don’t get why offensive line has not been addressed more than it has. Just about every signing imo has been either stopgap guys or backups. I know Watson plays a huge role in some of these sacks, but dammit get the O-Line handled. I’m sick of it. I’ll be super pissed if they don’t come out of the draft with two starting caliber O-lineman.

Hope Gaine has a longterm plan, he deserves a real shot to succeed. I’m just growing tired of waiting on this organization to get it right. At least Kubiak new what he wanted and was able to put together a solid team, just didn’t have the QB to get it done imo. Now, I just can’t tell if OB knows what the hell he wants and is capable of fielding/coaching a real winner.

Nook and red5rocket like this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Fantasma Negro

Plan b is the draft, plan c is roster cuts and udfa's. Relax, the season doesn't start this weekend

Hey Now!, TheFreak, tc0330 and 2 others like this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Nate Solder SUCKED this season.

I'm betting Brown is only Average.....but is being paid like the #1 Tackle in the NFL.

I don't mind being runner up to over paying for shitty players.

No Worries, vupac1 and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. raining threes

Didn't Luhnow trade for Fiers/Gomez/Verlander/Pressly/Maldanado the last 4 yrs? Hardly a man scared to make a trade.

Did you watch Nsekhe when he replace an injured Trent Williams the last two years? Obviously not, he was above average. Same as Trent Brown before the Pats traded for him. Difference is Nsekhe is 33 but has low tread on the tires.

17. raining threes

Nate Solder wasn't bad at the end of the season. Check out the points scored by the NYG's at the end of the season. Average would be much better and make DW4 feel more comfortable. Plus he's only 25 so his best football should be ahead of him. Unless you dont think a young guy can improve. Thing is we will see if Mayock/Gruden are right. I'm betting they are.

18. Fantasma Negro

19. Hey Now!

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But... that their strategy last offseason (Henderson, Fulton, Kalamete + drafting Rankin)... I think they're (likely) going to add a tackle in the 1st or 2nd round, they could scoop a guy up off the street (Penn IS still available), they'll mix Henderson and Rankin back in...

It isn't how I would've addressed it - but they have a much better perspective on these guys and feel fairly confident they have solutions. We'll see.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Hey Now!

You must not hang out in the Astros forum...

The Texans were in on Trent Brown; remember, it takes two to tango. And he was paid an obnoxious amount of money.

No, I don't watch Washington games - you do? He's a well-traveled 33-year old. I mean.... that was your plan? Grossly overpay Trent Brown and bring in the former starting guard for the Los Angeles KISS?

Rudyc281 likes this.