1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 7, 2019.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Would all quarters of all playoff games under BOB be a better sample size? Because the Texans have averaged 12 points in those 4 games. And I'm including the 27 points we scored against the hapless Raiders and their 3rd string QB so I won't be accused of cherry picking.

I'm not all gloom and doom about this team either. I actually agree with you about this year's FA class. I disagree with who we resigned more than any of the new players we signed or failed to sign (do we really need all those below average D linemen with no pass rush skills whatsoever back?)

But what I am all doom and gloom about is how we perform in the playoffs under BOB. Yes, I'm one of those people who just can't get excited about an 11-5 season when it's pretty much a guarantee that we're going to get SMOKED in the playoffs every year (unless we face another 3rd string QB).

Nonetheless, I'll continue to watch and hope. Watson, Hopkins and Watt are good enough to make me want to tune in every Sunday just to see what they'll do next. But I have no expectations of us ever winning a meaningful playoff game under BOB. I guess as long as I keep that in mind, I won't be disappointed every year.

tierre_brown likes this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Instead of protecting the franchise, Texans are signing multiple QBs so when one gets hurt, we have someone that can come in. Rinse, repeat.

Chess while other teams are playing checkers.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Sorry. Prince's Fan Club; I'm not a defender.

Nope. It only matters - to you - because it confirms your bias. We weren't even discussing BOB - but you brought him up so you could turn this into (another) referendum on him, proving my point.

It's certainly concerning. But, again, here's the problem: you want to isolate results that play into what *you* believe. You don't give BOB *any* credit for putting the wreckage of the season back together after starting 0-3? You can't conveniently pick and choose what is and is not important.

I think BOB is.... fine. He showed a tremendous amount of innovation his first two years; I have no idea how to judge his next two years (Osweiler + Watson's injury) and thought he did a nice job last year working around some obvious flaws/holes in the team.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Hey Now!

How many of those did Deshaun Watson start?.... There's your answer. I'm not the least bit concerned with getting rolled with Hoyer/Osweiler at QB.

Playoffs are random and unpredictable. You never know. I keep going back to BOB's first two years here, when he figured out a way to be both clever and successful. Where did that guy go? My hope is that with a healthy Watson, better OL play... he'll come back.

I also admire his revamp of the offensive coaching staff. I think this new QB coach is going to do for this offense what Wade Phillips did for the defense in 2011.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Emergency WR is probably a better description.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Nimo likes this.
  8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Indeed, that is what I consider a 3rd string WR (4th & 5th WR's on a roster are considered 2nd string IMO). Obviously you don't want him to play there but the fact that he at least knows the plays (hopefully) allows him to be a 3rd QB, 6th WR, backup Kickoff returner, special teamer. Do you need a roster spot for all of these positions? No, but it is nice to have all of these emergency positions taken care of in a solid special team player taking up only 1 roster spot.

bobrek likes this.
  9. ima_drummer2k

How about just a conference championship game APPEARANCE? Should that only be once per generation? We even had 2 different teams to try and get there. Even the Browns and Bengals had a couple of appearances in the late 80's.

I'm not blaming the Texans for the Oilers history. Just saying that, as a city, we haven't experienced a conference championship game since 1978. That's just staggering when you think about it. It's no wonder we're so jaded.

Nook and CometsWin like this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

No amount of words or stats will persuade u that BoB is a sht, average coach. Let's just see how well he do next season with a much harder schedule. Try defending him then.

BoB saved the season in your eyes but u also seem to forget that he put us in that hole in the first place, since hes the FKING HC. His coaching skills inspire no confidence in those that watch the Texans perform in high stake games, especially playoffs.

After five years of losses, he still says the same sht and fans like u just gobble it up.

Another thing stop bring up stuff that happened 3 years ago when BoB was "good" in your eyes, talk about the result of this past season where we got sht on in playoffs due to an incompetent coach.

#2330 DatRocketFan, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  11. ima_drummer2k

Actually, they're pretty predictable in Houston. Unfortunately.

I hope you're right on both counts. I guess that's all we have is hope. Some of us, anyway.

12. Hey Now!

**** does not = average; so which is he?

And I'm not defending him - do you even read my responses?

Yes; this is how it works; rather than selectively picking parts that confirm what *you* think, you consider the whole. All you want to do is focus on four quarters.

They had a terrible start; a terrific run and disappointing end... As I've said, he was fine.

You - sorry, u don't seem terribly bright. What am I gobbling up? I've said he was fine - that constitutes gobbling it up? Also, he's 42-38 - there've actually been more wins than losses. But, sure, ......

I've talked repeatedly about this season - all you want to talk about is a single game.

Actually, I don't really care to talk BOB at all - this is your petty, little ax to grind.

#2332 Hey Now!, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Obviously this can always change. The problem is that there is no real reason for legitimate hope that it will change.

The attitude seems to be "Well we make the playoffs! What else do you want?"...... when the reality is that the Texans are in a bad division, they have only had one season where you felt they could make any noise (12-4) and even then everyone without super homer glasses on knew the Pats would destroy them... and they did.

The Texans have not had a SINGLE season as exciting as the season the Chiefs just had. None.... there has never been a reason for real optimism.

The Texans have never had a GM or coach where the fans knew they were in good hands.

It is like Groundhog day......... hell, when the Texans bottom out, there is at least HOPE that the owner will luck into a dynamic or elite GM or coach.

At this point the only optimism is that BOB doesn't destroy Watson and that Gaine turns out to be good........ that is basically it when it comes to win.

Otherwise you are watching to see Hopkins and Watt as future Hall of Famers.... and even that is bitter sweet because you can see their ability and effort wasted by BOB and the McNair's.

SWTsig, CVcrew and joshuaao like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Oh I see you want a participation trophy....and I’m equating not winning a super bowl to not winning a super bowl it is what is....if your not first your last.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

In my opinion, no combination of the available cap space the Texans had and the free agents that are/were available would have led to an AFC Championship appearance. TOO MANY HOLES and question marks. Running back is meh, WR is still Hopkins and cross your fingers on Coutee and Fuller, O-line is trash, Tight end is meh, linebackers have their limitations, and secondary isn't close to being elite.

You aren't fixing that in one offseason.

Nook, awc713, CallMeTheDream and 3 others like this.
  19. Hey Now!

Do you know how many divisions last year had three teams win at least 9 games? 1. Seriously, look it up.

This easy schedule/bad division narrative is such bullshit. 21 teams won fewer than 10 games; that's 65% of the league. ALL GOOD TEAMS FEAST ON BAD TEAMS. The Chiefs were 2-4 against playoff teams; 10-0 against non-playoff teams, which included 7 games against teams picking in the top 10 of the draft, including #1, #2, # 4 twice.

The Rams? 4-3 against playoff teams (= 9-7); 9-0 against non-playoff teams, which included 6 games against teams picking in the top 10 of the draft, including #1 twice, #2 twice, and # 4.

[FYI, the Texans only had five games against teams picking in the top 10 - but only one vs a top 4.]

You know who else hasn't had a SINGLE season as exciting as the season the Chiefs just had? The Chiefs. Let's be realistic about where we place the bar...

[And... I would argue '11 was pretty damn exciting until Schaub got hurt - but, neither here nor there.]

(finds a very tall building, pulls a bullhorn out of his backpack): THEY WON 11 GAMES!

csj likes this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This sucks. I was hoping the Texans would spend for this guy on a short term deal. Instead he went to a division opponent.

Our passrush wasn’t good enough last year; signing houston could have been a shot in the arm.

It’s hard for anyone to argue that we aren’t decidedly worse than last year given the apathy the Texans have displayed in free agency. We we still have a hole at CB, still have multiple hole and depth problems on the o-line. No depth at WR. And we’ve neglected to upgrade the passrush. The only hole we really filled was back QB and safety.

This offseason sucks and I am starting to turn against Gaine. Our draft will not be the silver bullet folks are praying for. Ridiculous