1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2010.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

We do, too.

2. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

okay, so whats wrong now?

3. Castro

Castro Member

LT aint that good anymore, but i hope he gets cut so he can come back to Texas. Not like we got anyone better than him.

4. TheMountainTop

i was thinking the same thing.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yep, I would love to see LT back in Tx.

6. plates300

plates300 Member

hypothetically speaking, even if we beat cincy in the first game, i highly doubt the texans have enough to beat the chargers. so essentially, the colts would be playing the chargers, who have indy's number the past couple years.

7. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Mel Kiper's First Mock draft:

Houston TexansRecord: 9-7
    Brian Price*, DT, UCLA
    Price is hidden away a bit in such a deep class of defensive linemen, but he's a disruptive force who utilizes great leverage. He should add depth to an improving defense.

I'm seeing this guy more and more in many mocks, did some more research and watched a couple of videos on him to get up to speed. I'm not a big fan of drafting a DT in the first when we're this close to making the playoffs because of the potential erratic learning curve impeding immediate contribution but this guy is starting to grow on me

8. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

9. leroy

10. leroy

I was listening to some guys discuss Kiper's draft yesterday on the radio. They made a very good point about the Texans. While things are much better, the Texans are still not in a position to use 1st round picks on depth. They need to draft someone to help now. I, for one, don't like this pick. Good thing Kiper is typically wrong.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ehh I'm tired of drafting on the D-line after everything we've gone through at that spot and still hasn't worked out. Bite the bullet, give up a draft pick, and go get a proven guy. JMO.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You may be tired of drafting DL's, we may not have hit on any of the ones we've taken in the past but it is still a glaring need on this team.

THE fastest way to start beating Peyton Manning is to get consistent pressure up the middle so he can't step up in the pocket to avoid the ends. THE best way to stop Chris Johnson is maintaining gap integrity so he doesn't get those creases and keeping the OL line from getting to our linebackers.

I would not argue that it is a more pressing need than coverage players, CB's and FS, especially with Dunta's deal, but at #20 you take a guaranteed starter at a position of need.

In the other draft thread is the list of FA DT's. There are a couple of good ones but they will probably be expensive. (compared to a #20 pick, maybe not)

UCLA DT Price Wins Pac-10 Defensive P.O.Y.

Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year Brian Price, DT, UCLA:
    Price, a junior from South Central L.A., Calif., is a dominant force on the Bruin defense that ranks third in the Pac-10 in scoring defense. He leads the Pac-10 in tackles for loss by a large margin, and ranks third in the country, with 22.5 stops behind the line, including seven quarterback sacks. An All-America selection this year and two-time All-Pac-10 selection, Price has amassed 43.5 tackles for loss in his three-year career. In addition to ranking third in the Pac-10 in scoring defense and red zone defense, the Bruins lead the league in turnovers forced.

http://cbs2.com/sports/brian.price.ucla.2.1355780.html

#172 Dubious, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What is the bigger mistake...making a mistake and then trying to fix it or make a mistake and not try to fix it? It is great if the Texans can get a good DT from FA, but if they have opportunity to get one in the draft, they still need to do it, unfortunately.

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think he was implying that we should offer up a high pick for a proven guy, if available. I'm all for it, as long as the guy still has some years left in him. And I'm usually not in favor of trading away draft picks.

We're at a point where we are possibly a good DT away from being a near elite defense. It's a good time to take a risk, if ever. Not every 1st round pick comes in and is all-world immediately, like Cushing. It might take a guy half a season or more to get going.

15. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Definately agree we need to grab someone who can start right away at a need position: Free Safety, Cornerback, OG. Picking at 20, so far has seem to bad a really bad spot for us in executing that plan:

First Round Projected Guys:

Free Safety:
    1) Eric Berry- top 5 pick
    2) Earl Thomas- Perfect fit for us but could very well be gone before we draft (this is the guy I really like)
    3) Taylor Mays- More of a Strong Safety, not what we need with Bernard already back there

Cornerback:
    1) Joe Haden- top 10-15 pick
    2) Patrick Robinson, Florida State- This is the only other corner I've seen projected in the first round. He seems to be jumping back and forth between 1st/2nd round. Might be a reach drafting him at 20

OG:
    1) Mike Iupati, Idaho: Seems to be projected right at 20. One report said he is the highest graded OG prospect since Alan Faneca.

The first round will be very interesting to see how the Texans decide to approach it. With how heavy non-need positions are stacked in the first round and the lack of availability of a guy that fills a need/full value position at 20, I have the feeling we could be looking at a trade down. The draft is heavy in DT's so a trade down could address this pick later. Also there are some interesting cornerback prospects that are there in the 2nd-3rd round area in Perrish Cox (OSU) and Kyle Wilson (Boise State)

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Kiper FWIW

1. St. Louis Rams: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
    2. Detroit Lions: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
    3. Tampa Bay Bucs: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
    4. Washington Redskins: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
    5. Kansas City Chiefs: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
    6. Seattle Seahawks: Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
    7. Cleveland Browns: Joe Haden, CB, Florida
    8. Oakland Raiders: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
    9. Buffalo Bills: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
    10. Denver Broncos (from Chicago): Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
    11. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
    12. Miami Dolphins - Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
    13. San Francisco 49ers: Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
    14. Seattle Seahawks (From Denver): C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
    15. New York Giants: Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
    16. San Francisco 49ers (from Carolina): Earl Thomas, S, Texas
    17. Tennessee Titans: Everson Griffen, DE, Southern California
    18. Pittsburgh Steelers: Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
    19. Atlanta Falcons: Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
    20. Houston Texans: Brian Price, DT, UCLA

In their short existence we have seen the Texans actively upgrade their defensive line in the draft, and there is nothing to indicate they won't continue to do so—it's just a matter of which player. Price is a very active tackle, and while I think a clogger might have more of an impact in stopping the run, the Texans may fall in love with Price's upside.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
    22. New England Patriots: Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson
    23. Green Bay Packers: Taylor Mays, S, Southern California
    24. Philadelphia Eagles: Navorro Bowman, LB, Penn State
    25. Baltimore Ravens: Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
    26. Arizona Cardinals: Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
    27. Dallas Cowboys: Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
    28. San Diego Chargers: Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech
    29. New York Jets: Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
    30. Minnesota Vikings: Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
    31. New Orleans Saints: Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
    32. Indianapolis Colts: Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

I understand they still need to do it, I didn't say not to, but rather do it in FA if you can. You nor I don't know how Brian Price or any other DT is going to turn out. I'd just feel safer going after a proven guy. Not a guy who you may have to wait around on and who you hope develops into something.

Again, I know it is a glaring need. I didn't say ignore the DT spot, we're good with who we have, I simply threw my opinion out there and said go the proven way and get a guy who's already proven himself.

DieHard Rocket sees what I'm saying/getting at.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I really want a big block eater DT that help stuff the run as well as free up space for Mario/Amobi. I haven't read too much on Price but I would rather go with a bigger guy like Dan Williams who can just eat blocks.

19. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree. Brian Price seems to be the same type of player as Amobi Okoye. I much rather have a clogger like Dan Williams in the 1st round or Terrence Cody in the 2nd round. If Earl Thomas drops to the Texans, I would pick him up. I also like Taylor Mays or Navorro Bowman.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think it is more like one shut down CB away. How many coverage sacks did the Texans have last year?