1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

The Broncos also signed Houston wide receiver Charlie Anderson to an offer sheet as a restricted free agent, the Denver Post reported. The Texans will receive Denver's 2009 seventh-round draft pick if opting not to match the contract.

2. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

David, not Charlie. You know, the string dance guy.

3. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Yeah, I know. That was just copied and pasted from the foxsports free agency blog.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

5. conquistador#11

I love dave. He is a common man's wes walker. He just catches everything and can take a hit, and he is funny too. =(
    what we ever do to the broncos, besides sheltering all their rejects, to deserve this?

we have to match that offer!

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Bring back Anderson! He's worth more than a 7th

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I highly doubt the Texans match DA's offersheet from Denver.

We arent going to throw that much money to our 4th/5th receiver. Its not gonna happen.

As much as Ive enjoyed having him on the Texans, the guy is very replaceable. We'll save cap space, gain a 7th rounder, and in the process, our offense will still be top 5 in the NFL next season.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

damn, I liked Anderson too. :(

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Seriously, I think we should give Jabari Greer a look. He shouldn't be too expensive, either...

10. rezdawg

My NFL draft dream scenario:

Round 1: Trade down to mid-20's and pick up late 2nd rounder

Select: Clay Matthews Jr OLB

Round 2: Alphonso Smith CB or Darius Butler CB...one of them will be available, at least. I prefer Smith because of his physical play and great athletic ability.

Round 2: Patrick Chung S

Round 3: Chris Baker DT - 0-40 in 5.02 and 35.5 in. vertical for someone that is 6'2" and 326 lbs. :eek:

Round 4: Phillip Hunt DE - Pass rusher from Houston

Round 4: Rashad Jennings RB - Bruiser type back

Rounds 5, 6, and 7...draft a G, WR, and LB

11. JamesC

JamesC Member

Alphonso Smith is another guy I hope the Texans have a chance to draft. I dont know if he'll be available in the 2nd round.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Any chance a lineman like an Alex Mack (Cal.) falls to us in the second? It would be nice to have a stud center in the middle of the line for those short-yardage situations....

The more I think about it, the more intrigued I am about us taking someone like Harvin in the first round...

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, I think people are incorrectly writing off OL as a need area in this offseason. Perhaps not a starter, but at least a swing man that can rotate in and take some snaps at different positions. Kubiak's refusal to run on both 3rd and 4th and inches in the Oakland game told me he still didn't have the necessary trust in that unit... not to mention the constant red-zone struggles all season.

14. rezdawg

You can definitely pick up someone serviceable in the 5th round if you are looking for a guard.

Louis Vasquez out of Texas Tech may be available...big, strong dude with long arms...would be good for those short yardage situations. He also put up the most reps at the combine with 39 (not that it means much, but still shows that he has incredible strength).

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Don't think Mack will fall that low, but a guy like Unger might, but either one of those guys would be a nice addition to the line.

Here's my updated draft scenario for the first day:

Round 1: Peria Jerry (DT) - With Smith signed, we really need to upgrade the middle of the DL.

Round 2: Patrick Chung (SS)

But if Malcom Jenkins falls to us...

Round 1: Malcom Jenkins - Can play either CB or FS, but no matter what, I think he'd be an upgrade to our secondary.

Round 2: Evander Hood (DT)

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

what's the contract? I didn't see it anywhere..didn't assume it to be a lot. If it's a lot of money, then I do agree with you. But Anderson was a lot more reliable than Jacoby..

17. rezdawg

It was for 1.5 million a year over 3 years. I know, not much money. But, he is behind AJ, Walters, and Davis in the depth chart...and really, he's not irreplaceable. Yes, I liked him a lot and felt very comfortable with him on the field, but the fact of the matter is that we can find someone just like him in the draft that would cost a quarter of the price.

I wouldnt be upset by any means if we do resign him, but I dont think its a big deal if we lose him. Not only would we save some cap space, but we would also pick up a 7th rounder as well.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think they were pretty high on Darnell Jenkins last year. He was on practice squad all year but that was just because they didn't want to carry 6 WR's. I wouldn't be surprised if they let Anderson go.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Bringing him in for a visit or did they sign him? Either way, Benson would be a nice compliment to Slaton and we wouldn't have to use a draft pick on a RB.