1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

All the QBs in this draft have weaknesses. I think Watson is the most ready of the bunch.

Nook likes this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

His accuracy and decision making really worry me. In an offense predicated on short and quick throws, he shouldn't have thrown anywhere near the amount of INTs he did. Here's a nice breakdown of most of the INTs thrown last season.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...n-stats-interceptions-clemson-ohio-state-2016

justtxyank likes this.
  4. conquistador#11

should be fun watching those 2 great personalities (cutler and B.O.B) come together. Can't see them clashing.

Nimo likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Since his name keeps being brought up and he has all of these apologists popping up out of the woodwork I kind of hope the Texans get stuck with Cutler. I feel like there are Texans fans that absolutely deserve to have Jay F'n Cutler as their QB.

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I want Cutler for the same reason as Romo... It wont effect our draft and at the very least someone competes against savage and rookie. If he sucks, put in the rookie or savage, or hes good. What is the negative? Same for Romo. Cutler is just available now.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Romo has upside as potentially a good QB, Cutler doesn't......and he's a total prick so he's not someone you want in the locker room. If you ask those who are his former teammates, they'd tell you that Cutler lacks leadership skills, that he's not a positive presence in the locker room, that he displays "embarrassing" lack of preparation and that he doesn't run the offense like the coaches wanted him to.......this is the guy we think is going to come in and learn BOB's system in one off-season and get along with a head coach who is prone to freaking out and having emotional outbursts especially when it comes to QB's.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

But Romo is an objectively better QB. Cutler, at this point, is Ryan Fitzhoyett, a mediocre placeholder with no upside. If they miss out on Romo, I'd rather Savage or, presumably, the rookie take the snaps as that c/would have longer-term benefits.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Cutler has more teammates that support him and have his back than the other way around. When players like Martellus Bennet are loud and obnoxious, it tends to drown out the numerous people who actually enjoy being teammates with Cutler. Again, so much stuff overblown when it comes to Jay. He's not nearly as bad as you'd like to make him out to be.

10. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Regardless of whatever attitude problems he may or may not have, Cutler sucks as a football player. Do not want.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, if the Texans get stuck with him, I hope you are right and it's all just one big conspiracy to slander his good name.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Are we sure the draft is going to be able to cure all the team's needs on the offensive line, at QB and in the secondary? I understand the team keeping their powder dry to resign Clowney and Hopkins, but they are not even kicking the tires on many players.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

My guess is they are kicking tires but said tires want to be high rollers

pun intended :)

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The O line really just needs a RT, you wouldn't be drafting a QB for this season, and the secondary really just needs some depth.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd rather him start over Savage. I don't see the upside with Savage... Id happily take him as a backup QB, but the future is going to be with a rookie QB. Until that rookie develops, I prefer someone that has had at least some level of success in the NFL. Romo, obviously, much more so than Cutler...but if nothing else, then Cutler and Obrien would at least provide some fireworks.

I'm of the mindset that it cant possibly he worse than last season, so we need another year to bridge the gap until our rookie is able to start...until then, I want Veteran QB with Savage backing up.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't.

Honestly if we're going to pick up retread garbage like Cutler we might as well go with Savage instead. With Romo, there's a chance that he can still be a good QB, with Cutler.....well I think it's wishful thinking at best.

I'm of the mindset that when you say "it can't possibly be worse than last season" BOB says "Hold my beer"

I certainly thought it couldn't get any worse than Fitz, then BOB picked up Hoyer and Mallett.

Then I thought it couldn't get any worse than Hoyer and Mallett.....and then BOB delivered worse.

At this point, I see no reason to think that BOB can't do worse no matter how bad his offenses look.

17. raining threes

So you like XSF/Allen at OG?

18. raining threes

Smitty is in charge of personnel

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think XSF and Allen are playing for one guard spot and Mancz will hold down the other.

Yes, and he got the players BOB wanted him to get....

20. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Here's my first mock, first 4 rds. I assume either Romo or Cutler is coming and the Texans add a quality DB..SS or CB if Texans want too maximize Kareem, at this point in his career as the starting SS opposite Hal. And possibly a quality veteran RT too bridge the gap as a rookie RT can develop with more reps.

Rd 1 Patrick Mahomes II, QB, Tech. I think he is the most polished QB with the highest ceiling but the 3rd QB off the board. Falls into the early 2nd in just about every mock I've seen. Trubisky and the lustre of Watson are overshadowing him.

Rd 2 Desmond King, S/CB, Iowa
    Hybrid DB who can play both spots at an extremely high level, definate upgrade of Demps, hopefully sooner than later. I would trade this pick for Malcolm Butler if Texans could work out that proposed S&T. Butler would be more ideal for a championship caliber defense the next 2-3 years.

Rd 3 Erik Magnuson, OT, Michigan
    Probably good enough to be a backup LT right now, is a well above league average RT.

Rd 4 Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
    Taking a flier on a 1st rd talent probably not able to play until the 2018 season. This is how you replace a likely retiring Jonathan Joseph. If someone nabs him in the 3rd/early 4th. Eddie Jackson, S, Alabama or Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama would be my next two choices.

Rd 4 George Kittle, TE, Iowa
    Draft under the radar hidden gem type. Has the talent too be as good as CJF if not better. This could provide Houston with tons of depth at TE too compliment deep backs and reciever groups and add more strong competition too those final few roster cuts. CJF and Kittle in BO'B's 2 TE sets will be tough for LB's too cover and really spread the field. I'm looking Guard or NT if he's off the board.

Rd 5 I'd go best Guard or NT on the board

red5rocket and sammy like this.