1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just curious.. lets say we restructure Jjo and Cush. drop weeden and savage as well as half those guys BTG mentioned earlier. Sign Romo cheap, and plan on drafting QB somewhere. Would you say it is more important to resign/tag bouye, or grab an OT in FA for same amount? we can draft either, but the CBs in the draft are better crop than OTs

raining threes likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no way they cut Duane Brown, but there's no reason to keep Newton, guy is done. The reason I suggested that OT be the first round pick is that the Texans really need a RT to start the season coming from the draft. Getting FA O linemen is a roll of the dice and you ALWAYS have to over pay. Clark was complete trash, but sure, maybe they keep him. Personally I'd get rid of both Newton and Clark along with Bergstrom and possibly even Jeff Allen. Those guys are terrible anyway and it would save a lot of cap space.

That would leave us going into the season with

1st round rookie at RT
    Greg Mancz at RG
    Nick Martin at C
    XSF at LG
    Duane Brown at LT

that's not bad, but we'd have to pick up more O line guys for depth later in the draft.

Fantasma Negro and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

OT's are super expensive in FA so I'd much rather use that first rounder to lock down the position for the future at a cheap amount while bringing back Bouye. I like the secondary moving forward assuming they move either JJo or Kareem Jackson to safety and have Bouye, Kevin Johnson, and whichever of the 2 they don't move to safety being the primary CB's.

Also, with the OT class, the issue is that it's not terribly deep, that's why IMO you have to get one in the first. There's not that many you'd trust to start immediately later in the class, even at RT.

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Is there a situation similar to this one that you can reference?

I can't recall a time where they had a veteran suffer a MASSIVE injury that he's unlikely to make it back from to begin with and that they could save a good amount by cutting that they also had to be planning to replace anyway.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yikes. That puts him on the chopping block then since he effectively lost his job this year.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd cut Allen, Clark for sure, and Newton. Not sure how much cap that saves, but I'd use the flexibility to lock up Bouye and bring in Romo (still at about $6 million per) on the cheap.

Unlike Bobby, I think there's a few second round tackles that would be better than the crap we trotted on the field at times last year, and would be fine to start. Then, you use, say rounds 4-6 to start looking for depth on the line.

I'd say we cut Cushing, much as I hate to say it, and then try and bring him back at a reduced rate later.

The first round pick either goes towards a QB, one of the speedier linebackers, a tackle, or a tight end.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

You'll be depending on a lot of rookies to contribute on day one. If you don't bring back Aboushi you have rookie RT, Martin (who is essentially a rookie), Mancz (an undrafted free agent with one year experience at center), rookie LG, and Duane. Romo wouldn't make it through preseason with that line. Allen was playing injured so I might bring him into training camp healthy. Clark actually played decent LT. He was totally horrible at RT. Can't justify his paycheck if he can only be counted to back up one tackle spot.

I want one of the top linemen in the draft to play RT and maybe later switch to LT. Then maybe another for depth, but that's it. This draft is deep with corners and running backs, so I grab one of each in the mid-rounds. Getting a RB to complement Lamar is huge in helping whoever's under center. I really like Demps and would love him back but even so they still need help at safety. Not a Hal fan. My first three rounds would be OL, QB, and S in no particular order.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Everytime there was an injury, the word out of the team was that the player was recovering and rehabbing better than expected. Even if play said otherwise when they returned. Expect the same.

This was last month:

"It was a tough injury," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "He's a great guy. I don't think anybody has any idea as far as his timetable, but I know this: We'll do a good job of taking care of him. We care about Derek. I think all of us at some point in time have been in touch with him and I know he's working hard to get back. I'm not sure where he is right now. You know more about the medical part of it than I do. I just know that it was a tough injury and I know he's working hard to get back."

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would be wasted money and a wasted roster spot if they kept him around. He can be a great guy, but that doesn't mean he can't also be cut.

Fullcourt likes this.
  10. raining threes

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

A rookie is about 100x better suited to play in the NFL than Brock. No reason to trot the worst QB in the NFL back onto the field. It's just a matter of holding onto him until we can let his sorry ass go.

Fullcourt and raining threes like this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont blame him for wanting to earn more money but LULZ. This guy was a street free agent and out of the league for 2 years when we picked him up and then Romeo made him look good. Bye Felecia

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

To be fair, he was good under Wade too.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Hypothetically if Romo were to be released, when would be the most likely time for it to happen? Just trying to get an idea of timeframe.....

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

OK. but....
    ... So you've essentially earmarked at least three of our 7 draft picks on OL, which, in addition to not being very smart, from a results standpoint, would also prevent us from addressing other needs. And put a lot of pressure on at least two rookies/first-time starters. That's a really, truly terrible use of limited resources.

I don't think Clark or Allen will be going anywhere - unless they hit some sort of unexpected OL lottery and those two get definitively beat-out in camp.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't see why people struggle to see this. Duane Brown can't be the only one on the line who has started more than a season.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Change is more fun that status quo.

The Texans are not going to be desperate for cap space; other than perhaps a veteran QB, I don't expect them to be too terribly active in free agency (other than likely being aggressive with Bouye) - so they're not going to have to cut a bunch of players. I think the vast majority of their improvements this year will come from injury returns (Watt, Johnson; perhaps Allen, if he was truly hurt) and the draft.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Picking one free agent every team should sign this offseason

Houston Texans

Ronald Leary, G
    | Position rank: 24th

Houston's biggest problem this season was the disastrous decision to hand a huge contract to quarterback Brock Osweiler, but the offensive line didn't help him much.

Leary showed this season that he's still a quality starting-caliber guard, and he will likely be surplus to requirements needed in Dallas with La'el Collins coming back from injury. Leary didn't allow a single sack in 2016 and would be able to slot between Duane Brown at left tackle and Greg Mancz at center and give the Texans a formidable left side of the offensive line.

Carolina Panthers

A.J. Bouye, CB
    | Position rank: 3rd

The Panthers were bold in their decision to revoke the franchise tag from cornerback Josh Norman last offseason, and with the emergence of second-round draft pick James Bradberry, they'll feel confident that they have a No. 1 cornerback on their roster. That said, with the opportunity to go out and grab Bouye, who is coming off a career year with the Texans, Carolina should be ready to pounce. Bouye was outstanding in 2016, allowing just 54.5 percent of the passes thrown into his coverage to be caught and coming away with an interception and 11 pass breakups in the regular season.​

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

I guess.

It works well for the players, but sucks for the team that the draft is after free agency begins. If the Texans land Jabrill or Adams in the draft, it makes Demps and Cushing luxuries and not needs. Losing one of Joseph or Bouye won't feel as bad if a player like Lattimore drops to 25. I wouldn't say the same for the line. If they pick a tackle in the first, he would be replacing Newton to start the season, and you would still need a swing like Clark. If you get the top guard, you still have to have one of Aboushi or Allen for depth or in case of injuries. Aboushi is a free agent so it might be cheaper just to keep Allen.