1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"For the money, duh"

-Duane Brown

RockFanFirst and houstonstime like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lamar Miller says Bill O'Brien adds energy to Texans' offense

When the Texans and offensive coordinator George Godsey parted ways after last season, coach Bill O'Brien installed himself as the new coordinator.

The Texans ranked 29th in total offense and 31st in red-zone offense. They were 28th in scoring, tying them with the Chicago Bears.

They're hoping to jump-start the offense this year behind new starting quarterback Tom Savage, Pro Bowl alternate wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins along with a strong running game.

"He brings a lot of energy to the meeting rooms. Just seeing a coach bring the energy to the meetings," Texans running back Lamar Miller said. "You want to play for a guy like that. And he's more hands-on. He's making sure everybody's doing their assignment. He's just holding everybody accountable."

Little will change in terms of philosophy or scheme because of this shift. O'Brien is a big believer in the New England Patriots' system, but has lacked the ideal personnel to run it properly. O'Brien is a passionate coach who gets his players to buy into his hard-nosed philosophy.

"Yes. I think we've come a long way with coach O'Brien running the offense," Miller said. "I think everybody's buying in. He's holding everybody accountable, so I think all the guys have been doing a great job so far.

"He's just making sure the leaders are doing what they're supposed to do and making sure the younger guys behind them are doing their assignments so once they get an opportunity, they take full advantage of it."

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Godsey still getting thrown under the bus. Who will be the scapegoat if the offense fails again?

Nimo and Fullcourt like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Today, we have mutually agreed to part ways with Quarterbacks Coach Sean Ryan. We want to thank him for the past two years & wish him all the best in the future."

Nimo and Mr. Clutch like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

For a second I thought that was real, then I read the other posts and got the full context. :p

red5rocket likes this.
  8. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I never said what he is doing is smart or helping his cause. I simply said I understand his frustration and sentiment.

You can play this game of "he's paid 10 million dollars he should honor his contract" blah blah all day. I get it. Most people make pennies compared to him. The reality is these athletes are sacrificing their health and bodies to do that. And the NFL isn't giving a health pension for players after they retire and all of a sudden have neurological problems. I realize he is getting PAID, but his contract isn't guaranteed. I can understand his trepidation that's all.

I agree with you in that if he was not happy with his deal he should have pulled the DeAndre move and then got his ass to camp. It probably would have been best for all involved.

red5rocket likes this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's business.

I would have hoped they could have settled this to the satisfaction of both sides a long time ago, maybe by giving him a guarantee with more years but getting those extra years at a good value. Too late now.

red5rocket likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Paying someone 10 mil a year IS giving them a pension, it's just giving it to them on the front end instead of the back end. I just have a hard time feeling sorry for people who are in the top 0.01% of wage earners in the country whining about how they have to actually show up for work to make that money instead of being guaranteed it no matter what.

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

@Bobbythegreat I understand everything you've posted and why you believe that but I disagree with you in so many ways.

When people disagree with you, you try to attack them for their views. Every one has their opinion and you act like that isn't ok.

In this case, most posters on here are siding with the Rick but I side with Duane on this one. Both sides are right because it's business of course. Duane doesn't want to risk getting injured early and losing out on most of his contract. All he's asking for is more guaranteed money, which Houston actually has.

Rick is right because it's just basically Texans tradition not to negotiate contracts when two years are left. It's just business. Everyone picks a side and runs with it.

You can say Texans have leverage because they don't have to pay him or you can say Duane has leverage if whoever at that LT position gets the qbs killed.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  13. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

It will be time for Obie to take the fall. When your redeeming quality is how much "energy" you bring to a meeting you are off to a bad start. I'd rather hear about how innovative your offensive is or at least how you have instilled some creative new wrinkles into the offense.

Nimo and Mr. Clutch like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't attack people for their views, I attack views I don't agree with. When it comes to Duane Brown, I would side with him if he were being unfairly compensated, but he's already one of the highest paid O linemen in the NFL. I would side with Duane Brown if he didn't have a contract, but he's got 2 years left on one.

Now all of that said, I do understand why Duane Brown isn't happy, he knows that he's nearing the end of his career and he wants one more large payday before he's done. If he plays this season and gets hurt, that payday won't happen.....but that doesn't change the fact that he's one of the highest paid players at his position and he's got 2 seasons left under contract.....and the Texans have more important uses for that guaranteed money in the coming seasons. It's never fun to be in a situation like that without any true leverage or way to get what you want, so in that sense, I am sympathetic to him, but in the end, I care infinitely more about what is best for the team than I do about him guaranteeing 20 or 30 million more dollars regardless of his level of performance.

His choices are simple, show up for work and be one of the highest paid players at what you do, or retire and make nothing. Hopefully he makes the smart move.....but he's given us no reason to think he's that kind of person.

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

There's not one player on that line that can do what he can do. Meaning him on the line is the best interest of the team. He could've gotten some guaranteed money from Prosch since we hardly ever use him.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

A contract is about money but it is also about time. A team can walk out of a contract at any time and especially after the guarantee money is gone. Why can't the player do the same? It is definitely geared to help the team that is why coaches aren't too upset when players hold out. It's not like Duane Brown could just leave the Texans and go play for the Rams. He can't. He's stuck. The Texans aren't. They can cut him at any time.

I'm glad you used the regular job analogy because it works in my favor. You are correct that if I underperform my boss can fire me. But I can also quit and go work for another company at any time. NFL players can't do that. And owners hold it over their heads when they can.

You might think he played it wrong but it is the only play he had.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Jay Prosch isn't over 30 and he didn't sign a 53 million dollar contract like Duane Brown did that has 2 more years left on it. He also showed up to camp. The Texans never reward players who won't do the right thing and show up to camp and they almost never screw themselves by throwing cash at a guy with 2 years left under contract.

As to what Duane Brown can do at LT....well if he was confident that he could still do that, he wouldn't be holding out now would he? He's scared that he'll either decline or fail to stay healthy and if he has no confidence in himself, why would the Texans have that confidence in him?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In some cases the player can walk out on a contract when that kind of language is written into a deal....but you don't get the right to do it when it isn't.

As to your analogy, Duane Brown can absolutely quit at any time and go to work for any other professional sports league. If he doesn't like making 10 mil a year to play in the NFL, he can see what he could get in Canada.

The problem I have with the "play" that he went with is that it is stupid. He has no leverage and he's already one of the highest paid players in the NFL at his position. There's just not a legitimate reason for him to not show up unless he's actually considering retirement.

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

If your contract is not guaranteed, you basically playing a game by game basis. He doesn't want that so he's doing what's best for him. I don't think he's doing it right but he had to make a statement somehow. Texans aren't listening.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why is it wrong for him to have to show up to get paid? I mean, his contract this season would be guaranteed for injury, so really all he'd have to do is make sure that he wasn't so terrible at playing LT that they would prefer he be cut as opposed to staying on the team. I don't think that's really asking that much.

Also, his options are to play on a game by game basis (plus guaranteed for injury) or retire and get nothing. The Texans have been telling him this all along, but apparently he's not listening.....which very easily could be him picking retirement and making nothing. Perhaps retirement and getting nothing is "what's best for him", but I just don't see it that way.