1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

150... ppl count thread pages now on this site.

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

ASL

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Noooo this is his year I swear lol needs every game

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I sure hope the this storm we are supposed to get doesn't end up making my satellite or electricity go out Saturday before the game starts.

TejasTom, Red.Glare and Mr. Clutch like this.
  6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. SinceEverSince

Camp body I suppose.

8. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Who cares? This has now become meaningless. Just hope no one gets injured and see you in Jacksonville.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

2017 NFL QB Tier Rankings

This marks my fourth annual NFL QB Tier rankings, featuring an expert panel that was our largest one yet. Fifty league insiders placed 36 QBs into one of five tiers, with Tier 1 reserved for the best and Tier 5 for the worst.

Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady were again the only unanimous Tier 1 selections, but they had fresh company in the top grouping. Colin Kaepernick, though unsigned, came in ahead of eight potential starters. There was also some drama, as the 49th and 50th ballots collected determined which tiers Matt Ryan and Dak Prescott fell into.

The higher the tier, the less help the quarterback needs to be effective, especially when circumstances inevitably call for him to flourish in pure passing situations -- those highly pressurized times when handing off or running with the ball do not cut it, and the quarterback must win from the pocket for his team to have a chance.

The breakdown of our 50 voters this year: Nine general managers, six pro personnel directors, five other executives, five head coaches, seven offensive coordinators, six defensive coordinators, five defensive assistants, three analytics directors, two quarterbacks coaches and two national scouts.

Rookie quarterbacks have been excluded from this file, due to a lack of information for our panel to judge.

A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. Expertly handles pure-pass situations.

A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes, but not as consistently. Can handle pure-pass situations in doses or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. Has a hole or two in his game.

A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter, but needs a heavier run game and/or defense to win. A lower-volume pass offense makes his job easier.

A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player with some upside, or a veteran that is ultimately best suited as a backup. Teams might not want these guys starting all 16 games.

[​IMG]

• Voters see Hoyer as a good backup who should be in position to play decently under new head coach Kyle Shanahan, although the talent around Hoyer will be a limiting factor. Hoyer is 16-15 as a regular-season starter, having collected 12 of those 16 victories with teams that finished the season ranked among the NFL's top 10 in scoring defense and defensive EPA. The 49ers have not had that type of defense since the Harbaugh era. "He is better than McCown and better or close to Glennon," an offensive coordinator said. "I think he is tough. He can handle it. He has been competing his whole life for scraps. He is just not that talented, but he is a leader. He can lead those guys."
    • There was disagreement over how Savage would fare in Houston. Most thought Watson would be in the lineup as early as the second game, either through performance or injury, which is a concern for Savage. One personnel director thought Savage was a sneaky good fit for Bill O'Brien's offense and could surprise. "He is a great kid and he has a huge arm," an offensive coordinator said. "His was one of the most impressive college workouts I have ever seen. He can sling it all over the field, but he cannot process fast enough and he is not sure of himself yet. If he can get those things, then he can jump up to a 3, but not until then." A longtime personnel evaluator gave Savage a 5, noting that he had failed a couple of times in college and again in the NFL. "What has changed?" this evaluator asked. The biggest change was Houston trading up for Watson, which means Savage will have to play exceedingly well for an extended period to keep the job. An exec said the Texans have mostly needed their quarterbacks to avoid turnovers, and that Savage could check that box for Houston. "Every time he has gotten an opportunity to play, he gets nicked and disappears," a personnel director said. "If that happens with him, then Watson gets the same sort of pass that Prescott got because Romo got hurt. This will open the door for Watson to walk and take over. It is just a matter of whether Watson will be ready at that time."
    • Osweiler became so toxic following his tenure in Houston that the Texans gave the Browns a second-round pick to take on Osweiler and his salary. The Browns then tried to trade him, but they found no suitors. In one calendar year, they have gone from starting one toxic quarterback (Robert Griffin III) to another (Osweiler). "He is another one of those guys who kind of got full of himself and needs to come back down to earth," a personnel director said. "If he is just humble and goes and listens and tries to execute within the offense, then you have a chance to be successful. If he believes he is the reason the offense is functioning, then he is in trouble." Three voters placed Osweiler in the third tier. "He did a nice job against Oakland of understanding pressure, seeing the pressure, knowing his answers, getting the ball out," a quarterbacks coach said. "He has a big arm. He can put it out there. He is not garbage. I kind of wonder what he is like as a [person] and I wonder if that had as much to do with it as anything."

mightybosstone and Mr. Clutch like this.
  10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I was thinking the same exact thing. At least it wasn't as corny as the Taco Bell commercial of the 90's with Shaq and Hakeem.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Dak that high after one year?

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just goin off their descriptions, he is the most Tier 3 on the board. Relies on offensive line, RUN GAME, and a little defense.

Basically all we need is a tier 3.. but we've been effing around with tier 4 after tier 4 every year.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Did we play last night? I don't want to google "Texans vs." because it'll show the score! haha

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The game is tomorrow

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Ok thanks! Thought I saw yesterday that we played Thursday, but I had Dunkirk tickets last night. I assume it's not a home game... I can google that myself now that there's no risk of spoilers, haha.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Ah you know what it was? It's pulling up Texans vs Cowboys, that's NEXT thursday, the 31st.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rangers & Cowboys will happily move both games to Arlington next week.

Gotta wait to see if Rob & Roger want to move it to Milwaukee first though.

20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Who knows what the weather will be like there either. This storm is a Cat 4 now, and who knows which way it will be headed by Wed or Th. I'm hoping they are wrong about it taking a turn for us, and that it heads up towards Dallas instead. Not wishing them any harm, but I sure don't want it this way either. We've had enough damage from floods in H-Town.