1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off-season 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

They should have traded for him instead of cooks

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They can still get him. Throw our 2020 2nd A 2021 5th and Stills in for OBJ. Beats what Cleveland is offering.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Seriously. They're talking about trading Stills anyway. Why not for OBJ. They need to strike now. Sweeten the deal up. This deal would been done already if Rick Smith were still here.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Watson and OBJ have been known to hang out in the offseason together.

coachbadlee likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

because @J.R. got angry at me

O’Brien says they’re "working hard on trying to get a deal done" for Laremy Tunsel. #Texans

— SportsRadio 610 (@SportsRadio610) April 16, 2020

OB says finding a trade partner willing to pay DeAndre Hopkins was a big part of the deal. #Texans

— patrick (@PatDStat) April 16, 2020

Rudyc281 and J.R. like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

:D It's fine...

zeeshan2 likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Something had to have been discussed. People just dont make these things up. Usually where there's smoke there's fire.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

OBJ doesn't have a concussion history and runs a 4.43 40, whichis not as fast as Cooks but still faster than Hopkins. Should have traded for him instead, then the Cobb signing makes sense.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

So does Watson and DHop. oh wait

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

"I do think it is difficult for a receiver to come in a play in this difficult situation." OB on the WR rookie class. #Texans

— patrick (@PatDStat) April 16, 2020

O'Brien says it's a good versatile group of wide receivers in this draft class. "We may draft a receiver, who knows. If that's what's best for our team." #Texans

— SportsRadio 610 (@SportsRadio610) April 16, 2020

#Texans coach Bill O'Brien says he's not concerned about the technology surrounding the NFL draft. In fact, they will have a mock draft next week so all 32 teams can rehearse it.

— Mark Lane (@therealmarklane) April 16, 2020

Why trade Hopkins after contract demand? O’Brien says you can’t pay elite QB, elite tackle, elite defensive end and then more. #Texans

— Greg Bailey (@GregBailey13) April 16, 2020

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Instead, just pay a backup RB $10 million and a washed up WR $27 mil for 3 years

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cowboys say hello.

But of course you can't pay all of them when you overpay Whitney Mercilus, Nick Martin, Ka'imi Fairburned, Randall Cobb, David Johnson, some dude named Eric Murray...

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bill O’Brien starts his zoom call by saying he hopes everyone on the call is safe and healthy from him and his family. “It’s really a tough time.” “Especially as it relates to my family I want to thank the doctors.” OB went on to thank everyone in the healthcare community

O’Brien starts his call by making a point to say that having the best team possible doesn’t mean having some of the best players, but layers and layers of players. Studying teams that win they are convinced that you need layers and layers of good players in your building.

Bill O’Brien said they tried their best to keep D.J. Reader.

"I will tell you that DeAndre Hopkins was a great player in Houston and made a ton of plays for us.” OB said that they spoke with everyone in Hopkins camp and and it came that with 3 years left on his deal it was best to move on.

OB said he expects that Hopkins will get a new contract in Arizona and we will see that happen.

Bill O’Brien giving his opinion, and it’s shared with a lot of people I’ve spoken with, that this is a veteran type of year because of COVID-19. He sees rookies having a really tough time catching up and making an impact. OB admitted this played a part in how they’ve gone about things this offseason.

Bill O’Brien said DL and safety are needs for the #texans. Obviously mentioned others, but those stood out.

The #texans had a doctor that is close with their team doctor perform a physical on David Johnson and OB said that Johnson passed his physical yesterday with “flying colors”.

O’Brien also mentioned his relationship with #cardinals GM Steve Keim as an aspect to where he believes Johnson is healthy. Keim told OB that Johnson’s exit physical was really strong.

Bill O’Brien made the Brandin Cooks trade on his back patio where he’s been conducting business.

Bill O’Brien said that they have been in contact a lot with Deshaun Watson while they’ve been making these moves. Smart. Also Watson has been in contact with all these new pieces he has.

Bill O’Brien said “I have no comment on that" when asked by John McClain about DeAndre Hopkins about Hop’s comments to Michael Irvin

Bill O’Brien said that there have been people tested within the organization, but doesn’t know of anyone in the #texans family that has COVID-19

Bill O’Brien said he believes we need to be close to a vaccine and have better testing before letting fans back in stadiums. OB believes obviously that safety and saving lives is more important than football. “We can’t be in a rush … we will play football at some point."

Bill O’Brien said that he’s been in contact with Laremy Tunsil a good amount. Said they’re working hard to get a deal done.

Bill O’Brien said that they were limited in trade partners for DeAndre Hopkins because they needed to find some one that had the room to give him a new contract in the future. That limited things. OB said he expects a new contract for Hop in AZ.

Bill O'Brien: 'Our organization, everybody involved with the Houston Texans, very excited about where we're at right now. We have a team effort. Our focus has always been about doing what's best for the team.'

Bill O'Brien: 'The key to having the best team is to have a room full of productive players' Says this has been a time to reflect on how to get past AFC divisional round

Bill O'Brien: 'We want to win the postseason. We understand what it takes in our minds to get beyond where we've been. We have more Pro Bowl guys and guys who have played in Super Bowl on our team.'

Bill O'Brien: 'David Johnson is a three-down back who has had some very productive years. The type of guy he is, I'm so excited about having him, Randall Cobb, Brandin Cooks in our locker room.'

Bill O'Brien on Brandin Cooks: 'He brings a lot to the table.'

Bill O'Brien: 'We've got a very diverse group of receivers'

Bill O'Brien referenced Brandin Cooks' concussion history, pointed out he has missed only two games because of concussions going back to 2015

Bill O'Brien on Brandin Cooks: 'Tremendous route runner, great speed, really good deep ball player. If you look at his yards per catch over the years, really high'

Bill O'Brien on David Johnson injury history, Johnson has passed physical. 'I've known Steve Keim for a number of years. He was very emphatic that he passed his exit physical and we had a doctor close to Dr. Lowe examine David.'

Bill O'Brien leaning on analytics department, including Russell Joyner, for everything from prediction of injuries, salary cap, etc. Praises primary negotiator Kevin Kravjovic

Bill O'Brien said he and Jack Easterby worked on the Brandin Cooks trade from his back patio

Bill O'Brien said he uses social distancing guidelines while meeting on his back patio with Jack Easterby, Matt Bazirgan at his home

Bill O'Brien on cornerback position: 'I'm really excited about the secondary. We have a very diverse secondary. Bradley Roby, versatility he brings, play inside, outside, man to man, play zone. Excited about Gareon Conley, Lonnie Johnson Jr., Vernon Hargreaves, etc

Bill O'Brien on Kahale Warring expectations after rookie year: 'I'm excited about Kahale's future. He has a lot of talent, I think he's going to be a really good player for us.'

Bill O'Brien on Will Fuller recovery from groin surgery: 'He's doing great. We're excited about the 2020 Will. When he's played for us, he's made huge plays.'

Bill O'Brien said he and Laremy Tunsil have been in a lot of contact: 'We're working hard to try to get a deal done.' Said conversations have been very good.

Bill O'Brien reiterates he feels good about the DeAndre Hopkins trade. "We feel very good about the value we got for the trade.'

Bill O'Brien on Brandin Cooks' concussions: 'Without getting too much into who did the physical, it was a doctor we felt really good about. Physical took place in LA. Doctor did a great job.'

Bill O'Brien: 'We put a lot of research into these things. Hopefully, they play out well. We believe they will.'

Bill O'Brien: 'He's not the first player to ask for a raise and he won't be the last. We felt like that was the best deal for our team.'

Bill O'Brien on concerns about how the draft will unfold: 'Wouldn't call it a concern, making sure cell phone works, making sure you have ability to contact another team.' Not concerned about technology

Bill O'Brien on talented receiver class: 'I would agree it's a diverse group of receivers. Some good receivers. We may draft a receiver, who knows? I do think very difficult for a receiver to come in as a rookie'

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

I don't know Brian.
    Seems unlikely Brian.

"I felt like I had a first down there and when I didn't, I just felt like we didn't have a great play there for the fourth down at that point and time," O'Brien explained afterward, also adding he'd considered challenging the spot of the ball. "So, I felt like it was better to kick the three but that's a very fair question. I felt like it was just better to kick the field goal there."

The second-quarter field goal was immediately condemned as playing it too safe, but an aggressive call also hurt O'Brien's squad. After settling for the field goal on the previous possession, O'Brien tried to catch Kansas City off guard on fourth-and-4 from Houston's own 31 by running a fake punt. The direct snap to Justin Reid resulted in a 2-yard pickup, two yards short of the line to gain thanks to an excellent tackle made by Daniel Sorensen.

O'Brien explained afterward he was simply trying to "manufacture some points" against a team known for producing plenty of them.

"I definitely thought that we were gonna have to score more than 24," the coach said. "Yeah. I did. I think that they're, obviously, a very explosive team. And it just didn't work out."

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Really glad to hear the Card's GM tell BoB that DJ had a really good exit physical.

18. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I mean who wouldn’t be really excited about that group of studs?????

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Bill O’Brien is a knob.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

We had all of those guys last year and we were 28th in passing defense. I'm super excited.