1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Giants

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 16, 2014.

1. val_modus

val_modus Member

Seeing Mercilus on the field makes me so angry. It really sucks that we will be getting nothing from our last 2 first round picks till atleast Clowney comes back because I'm losing faith in Whitney ever panning out. Also, any word on Lechler?

2. thedude077

thedude077 Member

We weren't? A man I actually thought we were going 16-0. :(

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

When you look at the stats. the score is not reflective. Both teams averaged almost 5 yards per carry. Watching the second half, it seemed like the Giants were getting about 10 yards per carry, but overall, not much difference. Third down "inefficiency" was also about the same. The turnovers killed the Texans.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The stats are skewed by the one really long Alfred Blue run, take that away and the Texans averaged 2.9 yards per carry. The turnovers were killer, but more so than that was the defense's inability to stop the Giants. We aren't winning games where we give up 30 points with this current team. The blocked punt was a real killer, had we been able to pick up short yardage when we needed it we'd have been in a lot better situation.

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I didn't get to see the game but saw highlights. What exactly was the illegal formation flag that took out Hopkins crazy catch?

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think one of our WRs lined up directly behind a tackle or TE. Something like that.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Didn't this game feel the same way as Game 3 last year? It did for me.

sigh.

I pray they don't lose a close one vs the Bills next year.

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

it was a penalty on the Tackle Tyson Clabo. That's all I KNow.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Me neither, but let's worry about this year first;)

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Fixed

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I wish the commentators would explain why it's necessary for certain formations to be illegal.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Section 5 Position of Players at the Snap
    Article 1: Offensive Team. The offensive team must be in compliance with the following at the snap:
    (a) It must have seven or more players on its line (3-19-1); and
    (b) Eligible receivers must be on both ends of the line, and all of the players on the line between them must be ineligible
    receivers.

(c) No player may be out of bounds.

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As someone who doesn't understand the ins and outs of football, I really wish they would. It seems like every play relies on some type of misdirection before or after the snap, so why is one pre-snap formation fine and another not?

Although, these announcers didn't seem great; at one point in the fourth quarter, they said Fitzpatrick could "sleep well on the plane back to Houston" due to his rushing yards and touchdown, but failed to mention his three interceptions.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They meant that he'd been hit a lot, not that he played well.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Tyson Clabo came in as an eligible receiver but wasn't at the end of the line. They can't possibly explain every single penalty

16. Remii

Remii Member

The clock struck midnight and the Texans turned back into a pumpkin...

Can't win them all and a much better start to the year than I expected. Hopefully they want ramble off 13 straight losses in a row. O'Brien probably overused Foster the past couple of games when he didn't need to.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think more than the INTs, the run defense was the main reason we lost this game. It looked bad against Washington too, but was bailed out by the fumbles.

18. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Is this the exact wording? It makes it sound like TEs aren't eligible receivers. Pretty poorly worded IMO.

EDIT: Nevermind. I was thinking the "line" in question was the line of scrimmage, not the offensive line.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I understand what an illegal formation is, I just don't understand the need for the rule.

Doing a little Googling, it seems as if prior to the rule (like 50+ years ago), everyone on offense would line up in the back field and charge the defense full speed, resulting in violent collisions and injury/death. So the rule ensures at least 7 people are on the line of scrimmage.