1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Draft Day

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Put all draft day info in here. Remember it is all speculation and rumors until the draft starts so try to keep the flaming down. Unfortunately I have to be at a baseball game tonight so I will be watching the draft on tape delay. If you are watching are you watching ESPN or NFLN coverage?

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

From Rotoworld...

ESPN's Adam Schefter predicts that Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen will fall to the Vikings at No. 30 overall.

The Dallas Morning News' Rick Gosselin annually puts out the nation's most accurate mock draft, and agrees with Schefter's projection. It appears teams are souring on Clausen at the worst possible time for his stock. Other interesting picks from Gosselin's Thursday morning mock: Brandon Graham to the Jags at No. 10, Demaryius Thomas to the Dolphins at No. 12, Ryan Mathews to Seattle at No. 14, and C.J. Spiller falling to the Texans at No. 20.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/042210dnspogoosemock.3cacf47.html

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I heard the Schefty stuff this morning. I would think he has a pretty good idea on that, he talks to lots of people.

I like Spiller, and if he is there I could see the Texans taking him, but is he enough of a difference from Slaton? I saw an interview with him by Gruden and he was grilling him on why he always seemed to be hobbling off the field injured. They had a few clips of that, and it kind of bothers me. I think I would rather have Earl Thomas in that spot.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Sadly I'll be catching the draft on ESPN, I may switch back and forth to NFL Network, I've just been so accustomed to watching Mortensen, Kiper, Berman, McShay and friends.

I think Eisen is pretty funny so I may try to convert thru this draft.

I would love for Kyle Wilson to drop to #20 but I have a feeling he'll be gone by then, maybe even to the Falcons if he slips that far. They can't be serious if they believe they're good at secondary with their only move being Dunta Robinson.

With the second round pick I'd focus on the offensive or defensive line.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Ugh. Worst case scenario.

6. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Agree, PLEASE no C.J. Spiller. He has over-hyped written all over him. To me, if your going RB in the 1st round, Ryan Mathews is the only player on your board.

However I do not think he will be there at 20, I see us taking one of the DBs, all of which I think can have an immediate impact.

Side Note:::Is anyone going down to Reliant for the Draft Party?

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

so i'm the only one who thinks spiller is gonna be a really good NFL running back?? :)

8. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Educate me fellas -- I thought CJ was regarded as the higher pick out of he and Matthews on most mock drafts. Has this opinion changed in the last few days leading up to the draft?

Or is he just another Slaton type weapon with the added skill of being able to return kicks?

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'll be traveling, so I'll catch some of it on my phone and airport tv...

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If CJ Spiller is 1/2 as good as Chris Johnson we should be doing backflips at this projection.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't know what scouts think. i saw him play a few times over the last couple of years in college and thought he looked really good. very quick.

12. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

I dont think the arguement is whether or not he is going to be good in the NFL, I just think that we need a power back, one that can make one cut and go in this running scheme. We missed the playoffs last year in large part because we didnt have a runner than could get tough yards, I think Matthews can get us those 3rd and short runs consistantly. We have the Lightning, we need the Thunder.

13. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

That is, unless, the Texans don't think that Slaton will make it back and see Foster as the "Thunder".

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

CJ Spiller would be an awesome pick if he actually fell to 20, which I doubt. What will make me lol though is when I hear the Texans pass on him or trade out of the spot.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

You're not alone. I'm not big on a RB in the first round, but I wouldn't mind it so much if it's Spiller. I don't care that he's not a "bruising back". He's just too talented all around to pass up, if he's available.

Otherwise, I want a CB.

16. BigTex

BigTex Member

spiller is going to be interviewed on espn2 in a little while

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I would love to trade down in the 1st and MAYBE MAYBE get an additional 2nd. I think the corner from Rutgers could be a nice pickup late in the 1st and then get a RB and DTackle in the 2nd.

18. jtotheb

That would be my ideal scenario as well, but I think that an additional 3rd is more like what they'd get.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Doubt we'd get a 2nd to move down what would be at most 10 spots, but a 3rd would be nice too. If Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, Haden, and Kyle Wilson are all gone at 20, trading down would be the obvious move to try to grab Mccourty, Kareem Jackson, or even Ryan Matthews if we're high on him like is said.

That way we get 4 picks in the first 3 rounds to fill our major needs at RB, DT, and CB ... and an extra to take BPA.

20. jtotheb

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/22/darren-mcfadden-could-be-available/

Darren McFadden could be available

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 22, 2010 10:20 AM ET
    There are still plenty of fifth-round picks out there to be dealt, so we may not be done yet with veteran trade movement before the draft.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen this morning mentioned Oakland's Darren McFadden as a veteran player that may surprisingly be available during the draft.* Mort has close ties to the Arkansas program, so the news carries a lot of weight.* And it's surprising.

While McFadden has underperformed, he's shown more promise than other recent Raiders first-round picks.* Mort also mentioned Shawne Merriman as a sleeper to get dealt.* (Although Merriman would have to sign his restricted free agent tender.)

We put together a list of available veterans for our big draft question preview over at NBCSports.com.* Check it out after the jump:
    Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, Redskins linebacker Rocky McIntosh, Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell, Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora, Titans running back LenDale White, Bills running back Marshawn Lynch, Ravens running back Willis McGahee, Browns nose tackle Shaun Rogers, Dolphins quarterback Tyler Thigpen and Raiders linebacker Kirk Morrison.

Would you give up a 5th for McFadden?