1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Cowboys

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, since when is defense measured by yards per game? You're basically saying that the Browns have a better defense than the Ravens or Chiefs and no sane person thinks that way. Defense is ALWAYS judged by how many points you give up

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Huh? The Browns give up 421 yards per game...much more than the Ravens or Chiefs...so you must be confused. The Browns are 31st in the NFL in yards per game allowed. I appreciate you making the point for me. And by your measure, the Seahawks are a middle of the road defense, since they give up 22 points per game. Yeah, okay.

Judging a teams offense or defense based on points is equivalent to judging defensive ends by # of sacks.

When you look up any team defense stats, the default measure is yards per game. There is a reason for that. You know why? Bc points can be scored in many different ways. What happens if Fitz throws a pick 6? What happens if Fitz throws an INT in our own territory, giving the other team a short field? What happens if we block a punt and run it in for a TD...or score in some other form with our special teams? Looking at points scored as your measure of a defense is about as elementary as it gets...again, just like looking at sack numbers and then determining that Watt is a top 70 lineman in the NFL.

The best defenses in NFL history never had to adopt the bend but dont break rule. If you are relying on that, good luck.

3. rezdawg

btw Bobby, werent you going off on how terrible the Cowboys defense was? They are 8th in the NFL in points given up per game (21st in ypg)...so what is it? You contradicted yourself here.

If the Cowboys defense was 8th in points per game allowed (and that is the way you measure a defense), then you were completely wrong in flooding these boards with your anti Cowboy nonsense. Or you could be right that the Cowboys defense isnt good, but then your theory that points per game allowed is flawed.

Either way, you lose...but I'll let you pick which way you want to go down. Im nice like that.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, I looked it up wrong, either way, the simple fact is that they ALWAYS judge defenses based on how many points they give up, not how many yards they give up. A better example would be Jets vs Ravens, Jets give up only 320 yards but 25 points Ravens give up 358 yards but only 16 points. Another example is Cincinatti vs St Louis.

Anyway, you can argue with the way things are done all you like, but it won't change anything, a defense give up 30 points but only 200 yards is WAY worse than a defense that gives up only 10 points but 1000 yards.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Heh, is that what this is all about? You're an upset Cowboys fan?

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

terrible, just terrible. Your arguments are basically "this is how it is because this is how it is".

Circular logic much?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, my argument is that it's the way it is because how many yards you give up is irrelevant when you aren't giving up points. I'm then pointing out that he's essentially arguing with a really established norm, not just my opinion.

8. rezdawg

If a team gives up 200 yards and 30 points...I guarantee it's not the defenses fault for giving up that many points. That's not a reflection of the defense...its a reflection of the offense and special teams.

And no, Im not a Cowboys fan at all...they are equivalent to the Jazz for me. But, I can also be realistic and unbiased when I need to be.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly you are really upset that I pointed out that the Cowboys don't have a very good defense, also, while they are currently 8th in the league as a scoring defense, that wasn't the case before this last game, they were middle of the pack giving up 21.5 points per game with most of their games against bottom of the barrel NFL offenses.

Anyway, we've been off topic for long enough.

10. rezdawg

Oh okay, so now they have a top 10 defense in the NFL.

I think they are in the bottom third as far as NFL defenses.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Playing against weak defenses for the most part has skewed their stats, I think by the end of the year they fall in the rankings. There's still no argument for judging defenses on yards over points.

Some years they match up, some years they don't. In 2011 did the Texans have a better defense than the Niners? Of course not, but we gave up fewer yards. Who had the better defense in 2012, the Broncos, the Steelers, or the Seahawks? Looking at how many points those teams gave up makes the answer REALLY obvious, looking at yards makes you come up with the wrong answer.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The interesting thing is how the same poster argues points are the be-all-end-all to judge a defense, but yards (not TDs) mean everything for a WR. Truly intriguing.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting that people argue that without water you'll die but people drown in water when it rains too much.

That's pretty much what your comment sounded like to me.

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I'm still tripping off Watt missing that sack (damn db tripped too) and Dez making that catch. Texans owe us a 4 game win streak.

15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I understand why one needs to change the subject.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Look, I don't want to be too mean here, but if it surprises you that you judge an individual offensive player using different criteria than one judges an entire defense then there's not much I can do to help you. Perhaps find something other than sports to discuss.

17. Nook

Nook Member

If you are expecting a 4 game win streak from the Texans, it is going to be awhile.

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

It's different, but not the extreme you claim it to be. Your arguments are so over the top, it's embarrassing. "Romo is marginally better than Fitz, DALs defense is trash, non conference games are worth a million times less than divisional"... what planet do you live on? It's pretty much guaranteed the Texans won't maintain their defensive turnover rate. So, they're better off surrendering less yards.

Expecting and 'thinking you deserve' are two different things.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Last year's Texans team found some dramatic ways to lose
    This game is one of those type feelings
    but not as bad

Rocket River

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

LET. THIS. GO. :eek:

Concentrate on Indianapolis.