1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Cowboys

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Texans are the underdog for sure, but I wouldn't be THAT surprised if they won.

2. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I'll be at this game...two suites down from Jerry's! Unfortunately, I don't feel too confident about a win. The Girls looked much-improved against the Saints...and those guys can play offense.
    Unless we score on defense and special teams...I feel a very sad loss.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My only worry is stopping DeMarco Murray, we can deal with Romo, but our run D needs to step it up.

DD

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Please win this game, Texans. Please!

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The Cowboys and the Texans have both feasted on really crappy teams. The Texans moreso than the Cowboys. The Cowboys have to be a favorite because that offense is legit at home. Unfortunately I can't see the Texans winning this game unless Romo just has a meltdown.

6. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I can not believe all the people who think the Cowboys are good.

They were getting rolled up by the Rams and barley escaped that game.

With Fitzpatrick I will never be surprised if we don't win a game but this is not exactly a tough match up. Control the clock and stack the box

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just hope they come up with a good defensive scheme to take away the run and not leave 5-10 yard cushions on the WRs. Last time the Texans played the Cowboys down in Houston, the defense made Roy Williams look like a stud by playing off coverage. They just completed slant after slant after slant in front of the DBs all game long.

If the Texans don't get the running game going and bleed the clock, it could get ugly really quickly. They've got to control the LOS on both sides of the ball, and take their chances that the secondary can cover enough to let the pressure get home on Romo. Easier said than done, just hope they can pull it off somehow!

Go Texans!!

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Absolutely not.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We dont match up well with them...their strength (running the ball) is our weakness (run defense).

Their weakness (pass defense) is not our strength (Fitzpatrick).

Also, look at the numbers opposing QBs have put on us (minus EJ, even though the Bills receivers dropped a handful of balls). We just arent a very good defense and despite the hate people like to dish out on Romo, he's a good QB. Not sure who plans on guarding Dez, but regardless of who we put on him, the arrow points in favor of Bryant.

Mix this in with the fact that we are on the road and it's clear to me that the Cowboys are the favorites in this game. I do think we could win, but I'd say the odds are at 30%.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You are being very pessimistic.

The Cowboys/Texans are unknowns at this point. They gave up 27 points to the Rams 3rd stringer and the Texans showed great improvement last week against the run.

We will be ok. Run Blitz ALL DAY and stack the box.

They will be fine.

Cowboys have a bad defense and they just lost there best defensive player for the week(Bruce Carter).

I think the Cowboys will win a close one though. I honestly just don't how good any of these teams are.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

"Fine" isn't the word that comes to mind when I think of giving Dez Bryant and Tony Romo single coverage.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hit Romo early
    Hit Romo hard
    Hit Romo often!

Then just worry about the run game

Rocket River

13. tmacfor35

Kareem and Joseph have been playing really well.

Should we expect more safety miss coverages? I hope not.

14. tmacfor35

ravens,texans,cincy,steelers,giants and pats

That is the Colts next 6 games.

If the Texans can make it happen the next two weeks. They have a shot at winning the division.

Oh wait, one game at a time.

15. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Yea he was pretty bad .. only reasoning I see to him being on the team is they thought he would bring some type of veteran leadership . I don't think this was ever the problem and I'm guessing the new staff has learned this .

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im not being pessimistic, Im being realistic. There is a reason why Vegas has the line at Cowboys -5.5. That's a pretty large spread.

In any given week, in the NFL, anything can happen...but we havent proven anything yet. Look at some numbers of our defense after playing 4 weak teams:

21st ranked defense.
    24th ranked rush defense.
    Giving up 5.0 yards per carry (26th rank).

Now, Dallas has an equally porous defense. However, the edge goes to them because their offense has the potential to capitalize on our defense...whereas our offense might be able to control the clock and score here and there, but it wont be lighting up the scoreboard.

Dallas offense ranks:
    8th total offense
    1st run offense
    4th completion percentage
    7th YPA
    10th Passer rating

Dallas has achieved these passing numbers despite playing the 49ers, Rams, and Titans...which are all ranked in the top 10 in pass defense.

Dallas hasnt needed to throw much because they have been so dominant on the ground. We dont have the same ground game as they do, regardless of the health of Foster. Their offensive line is just flat out better.

I think there is a clear edge to the Cowboys...but I do think we can win if we can control the clock with 30+ carries, win the turnover battle, and keep Murray under 100 yards.

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

WOW you're on the level of suites that are $20K . NICE!

18. benchmoochie

You should look at it like this - don't look at what other teams have to do. Look at what Texans have to do. Texans are 3-1 . Usually wild card is 9-7. They have to go 6-6 rest of way to get to 9-7. 4 of remaining games are with Jags and Titans (2 a piece). Those are very winnable all of them.

19. benchmoochie

Agreed. And you have to add. their offense is able to put up more points than Texans more efficiently.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It never fails that people overrate the Cowboys every single year.