1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Colts

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And on top of that, Army beat Navy! There's too much awesome this weekend to be upset about anything really.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, it's painfully obvious you're not a McNair fan. I wonder why you even waste your time watching and venting, as you're never going to be satisfied either way.

It's also painfully obvious that they can't fire the owner.

Some also do have the ability to be critical of a team, be a fan of the team, and still be interested week to week even if they're not a for sure SB contender.

Not sure I'd enjoy losing seasons vs even this. It's still about hitting on 2nd-4th round picks, and you don't need to suck royally to get results there.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The Texans just spent an entire draft on offense, ST, and $100 million on a QB and RB. The offense was built to be much better than average THIS season.

The offense is MUCH healthier than the defense.

You don't believe half the things you type.

LAM likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You have essentially a rookie QB in a brand new very complex system that he has no previous exposure to with a patchwork O line.....and you think that's a recipe for something awesome? I mean, that's not even mentioning the injuries to Strong, Braxton Miller, the previous injuries that took out Blue and Fuller, and the injuries Lamar Miller is playing through or that Nuk has played like ass this season for the most part.

Looking at that "entire draft on offense" you've gotten very little out of Fuller who has struggled with drops and injuries, almost nothing out of Braxton Miller, literally nothing out of Nick Martin who has been injured, nothing positive out of Ervin and that's every single offensive player you've drafted. For what reason would that equate to an awesome offense?

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They probably won't beat those teams with their QB. He is almost as bad as Brock.

6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I have always noticed how biased he is about the Cowboys every year. I hope those Cowboys get beat in the first game they play in the playoffs when they actually face a team with a winning record. Their schedule has been ridiculously lame.

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I tried to use that excuse earlier in the year but I am beginning to wonder if he will ever have what it takes to be even average. He misses the few opportunities we get by overthrown and underthrown passes. We get excited when he actually completes a pass over 10 yards, and honestly, that's pretty sad. I really don't see any improvement in his passing accuracy since game 1. Maybe he just never will have what it takes, but the play calling is terrible, and something needs to change if we ever want to have any resemblance of an offense we can get excited about. I cringe every time we are on 3rd down, wondering if we will throw a little pass inside the mark or run for 3 yards when we need 4. Thanks to our defense we beat the team we all despise for the 2nd team this year!!!!!!! That's awesome!

ramotadab and macho GRANDE like this.
  8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

"Essentially a rookie".... sounds familiar

He's had MORE THAN 16 games under his belt and he still sucks.

BoB sucks too.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Defense- good
    Running game- good
    Special teams - good
    Passing game- worst in the NFL

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Grades

Quarterback grade: Brock Osweiler, 54.3

Good and bad from Osweiler in win

Osweiler came into the game with the second-most turnover-worthy throws in the NFL and he added two bad ones, first on a crossing route in which he didn’t see linebacker Akeem Ayers for the interception and one that was dangerously close to taking points off the board when he fired a pass right to the defense on the goal lie that was dropped. Aside from the two poor decisions, Osweiler did make a number of big throws, whether firing a curl route to WR Will Fuller for a key conversion or throwing a well-placed back-shoulder throw to TE C.J. Fiedorowicz down the stretch. Given some of the disastrous performances we’ve seen this season, the Texans will take this outing from Osweiler in a run-heavy attack.

Top offensive grades:

T Duane Brown, 83.2
    FB Jay Prosch, 80.3
    C Greg Mancz, 79.7
    G Jeff Allen, 79.6
    T Chris Clark, 76.5

Run game leads the way for the Texans

A number of strong performances along the offensive line paved the way for 179 yards on 40 carries. LT Duane Brown had a number of key blocks including one clear out at the second level that led to a big gain, while center Greg Mancz had two holding penalties but he did a nice job controlling nose tackle David Parry for much of the game. RB Lamar Miller benefited most from the strong blocking as he picked up 70 of his 101 yards before contact, getting a number of free runs to the second level.

Top defensive grades

ED Whitney Mercilus, 85.4
    ED Jadaveon Clowney, 83.9
    S Quintin Demps, 80.9
    S Andre Hal, 80.4
    DI Joe Heath, 76.9

Edge defenders dominate

This wasn’t necessarily a great all-around performance by the Texans, but the work of edge defenders Jadaveon Clowney and Whitney Mercilus once again stood out. Clowney registered a sack, two hits and three hurries, including a sack-fumble that ended a Colts’ drive in the red zone, good for a pass-rushing productivity rating of 11.1. Mercilus had a PRP rating of 13.1m with three hits and four hurries on 36 pass rushing snaps. Both were dominant, proving far too much for the blockers in front of them.

PFF Game Ball: ED Whitney Mercilus, 85.4

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Counting today, he has 20 starts in his career....so just a bit more experience than a rookie, who is in a brand new system that is very complex with a patchwork O line and that's what you want to base your entire opinion on? Fair enough. For me, I'm going to wait till at least a few games into next season before freaking out too much. He's gonna be the starting QB till then anyway, why rush to judgement? Hopefully this time next year he's not being asked to do very much behind a solid line with a good run game and a dominant defense just like Russell Wilson was for the majority of his career and we'll think differently. If not, oh well, back at square one.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

If he isn't asked to do very much then it will be boring again. I was hoping for a QB who was actually capable of big plays.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I will gladly take boring if it leads to a Super Bowl like it did for Seattle...or Denver last year. Honestly, I don't think you'll mind either.

14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Let's hope we draft a QB next year, just in case Brock never gets above mediocre.

ramotadab and macho GRANDE like this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We ask him to just not turn it over and he can't even do that.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Let's hope not. It's a weak QB class and the Texans have more pressing issues. They need to load up on O linemen and I don't see a reason to grab another mid-round QB in a weak class when you could use that pick on something more important. If Brock does poorly next year, then you go with Savage the next year while picking a QB in the first round....but you do everything you can to have success with this current group. No QB will have success if you can't get a competent O line for them so that's the top priority.

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Somehow I bet at least 20 other quarterbacks would do better with this O-Line. I agree though, we need a competent O line too.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't really matter though does it? Again, if the Texans are healthy they are likely sitting at 10-3 right now and no one is talking about Osweiler....well, you'd probably have some calling him "elite" or whatever like they did with Joe Flacco, but no one that matters would believe that.

20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

LOL, the only ones that would call him "elite" would be either Bob, Rick, or Bill.

ramotadab and PhiSlamma15 like this.