1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Cardinals

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 6, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Oilers are the team owned by Bud Adams. Nothing is going to change that. Regardless of what an ahole Adams was, he never got the stadium he wanted and he took the Oilers name and history with him.

Modell took the Browns to Baltimore but Cleveland kept their name.

Technically the Oilers and the original Browns both made the Super Bowl.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I was posting stats simply to disprove the notion that Schaub was garbage as so many people were implying. If you are #2 in TD passes in the NFL and top 3 in passing yards, I don't care who you are, but you certainly are not below average or replaceable at this point.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Schaub is a good QB, I never said he was garbage.

But Manning is an all time great, he's being compared to Marino and Montana.

Schaub has a ways to go to be in that category. I was talking about the last thread (Raiders game) too.

Also, let's not forget about durability, let's see if he can last a whole season too.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I wasn't directing the stats do you, nor did I ever compare him to Manning. His stats so far this season are somewhat comparable to Manning. I think it is quite obvious than Manning is better, he's an all-time talent, I don't remember anyone arguing otherwise. But if he is keeping pace with Manning so far this season, he has to be doing something right, he obviously is not the problem on the team. That was the point I was trying to get across to the people blaming Schaub for the Texans woes this season

5. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Schaubs place in history has yet to be determined...but I think most people will agree that as a #3 pick VY has been an even worse bust than David Carr as a #1 pick!

(Listens to UT fans blather...but he's VY! He was so good in that game against USC...how can he not be a Hall of Fame Pro QB!)

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Aw c'mon DD, be fair. Schaub may not inspire you as a QB but to say that he makes crucial mistakes repeatedly is a bit much. Look, I agree with you that his INT came off a bad throw and that was the last nail in their coffin yesterday but he was trying to make a play to bring his team back so I can't fault him for that. Was it a BAD throw? You betcha! BUT ALL QBs will make these throws from time to time - it's just the nature of the game. Had he not tried to make a play, folks would be ripping him today for not trying to make a play when the team needed one.

Schaub is what he is: a formula QB with limited physical ability who can perform well given the right circumstances. You appear to have confused him with Tony Romo. I agree with you that the constant recitation of his stats is getting tedious because he's running an offense that appears to be able to roll up all kinds of numbers except wins but everyone here is right about where the problems with this team really lie (Hint: K U B I A K).

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Excellent point.

No argument here as well. In fact, the same thing can be said about Tony Romo. The two are basically the same QB only Tony has better athletic skills. When folks defend either QB, they rush to point out their stats and how these numbers make them elite QBs. The numbers are nice but as you pointed out a truly elite QB brings home a win yesterday (Schaub) or wins a playoff game when it counts (Romo).

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This team is nowhere in the ballpark of playing with any consistency at all. From one half to the next, they're an entirely different team.

I'm more convinced than ever that if they win anything less than 9 games, we'll have a new head coach next year. The free agent crop of coaches is just too strong to pass up....and a team that plays this inconsistently just MIGHT need a new coach, anyway.

9. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Don't want to turn this into a VY thread but he hasn't been a bust. He was 18-11 as a starter and went to the playoffs and a pro bowl. He's also only been in the league for 3 seasons.

How many seasons has David Carr had with more wins than losses? I'll wait.

10. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Is schaub garbage no but is he the guy that can fire up this team? NOOO!!! He had a chance to make that play but he over threw the man which he was doing all day. I like schaub but there are some plays he should, well i would like him to make that he just can't do. QB sneak is not a option with him. Why not? I don't know but all these one yard stops are killing me and something needs to be done about it. Hell bring back Ron Dayne i don't care how old he is he can get one yard.

11. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

With the Tenn Defense and running game your grandma would have been 19-10...good try...keep hope alive that Vince is even a passable NFL QB

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

texans found a new way to take me to a new leel of misery. After the first half, i was done with them. Of course, they sucker me back into their vortex of pain in the second half, only to be let down again. Impressive work Texans.

Schaub had a horrible mistake(hardly "repeatedly" mistakes like someone of little football knowledge likes to claim) but when you force a QB to throw that much bad things are going to happen.

Actually, i thought the play calling was suspect. Cards were dropping 9 into coverage...i would have love to have seen a little draw or quick dump off to a TE in the middle. I thought at that point in the game you could afford to burn some time and run the ball. Granted, they haven't ran the ball all day, i'd like to think slaton could have at least got a few yards against a 3 man front.

Also, the goaline play calling was suspect as well.

The o-line is sucking hard. It's almost comical how they get no push up front.

13. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

You mean the Tenn defense that was dead last in the NFL in Total Defense in 2006 and second to last in points allowed?

Just for comparison's sake, David Carr had the 16th best "total defense" and 20th best scoring defense in his first season and we know how that went.

#933 halfbreed, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Just watched the game on my DVR so excuse me if I repeat what I am sure has already been said....

First off, Schaub IS NOT THE PROBLEM and yes he made two unexcusable mistakes with the pick and the overthrow but darn the guy was amazing in the second half considering the Cards knew we where going to throw almost every down.

Chris Myers is an issue, the guy is two small and is getting pushed back constantly. He may be good with the zone scheme but guy gets blown up way to often.

The running game is another issue, either SS can't find the whole or isn't trusting there will be one. Something has to be done with that and now but one thing I noticed is that they ran a few sweeps and they worked pretty well I hope they run it more often.

Defense played really well for the most part minus the late drives in the first half. The D-Line looks to be coming togather with Okoye/Smith combo starting to make plays. The Secondary had some ugly moments but overall not bad for a unit that is one of the weaker crews in the league.

Overall this one doesn't hurt to much considering the heart and overall improvement of the team. I still think we can get hot and make the playoffs but we need to win next week or it may become another long winter of 8-8 football.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Johnson and Daniels beg to differ. Schaub's been good this year and enables the passing game to excel, but "most consistent" isn't really fitting.

But again, he is very good, especially relative to the QBs currently playing. Today, you could only say Peyton and Brees would be clear, indisputable upgrades over Schaub. Brady if he gets his game back. You can argue either way about the straight rankings, but Schaub at worst stands in the same room (right now, today) as Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, et al.

#9 in QB Rating
    Virtually in a 5-way tie for #10 in passing percentage
    #5 in Yds/Game (and #9 in Yds/Attempt)
    Tied for #2 in passing TDs
    In a 6-way tie for #12 (or #18, depending) for INT (along with Peyton)
    Tied for #17 in sacks taken

Tough to argue that he isn't a top 10 QB. However, it is fair to say that critical mistakes do merit some blame even if his passing got us back into things.

If you had a RB that averaged 120 yds/game but developed a nasty rep for fumbling with the game on the line, he'd take serious heat for it. If you've got a QB that freezes up in big moments and throws game-costing INTs, same thing. Look at Karl Malone and his playoff choke jobs. Patrick Ewing. Dan Marino.

Unquestionably, those guys are HOF. Unquestionably, they couldn't come through in the clutch.

Brett Favre got mentioned, which was ironic since his reckless "Bad Brett Favre" games have garnered him plenty of criticism the past 7 years, despite the silly media hero worship. (To be fair, he's reined in his "throw caution to the wind" moments in a huge way so far this season).

Where I'm going with this:
    Schaub's good.
    Schaub did not cost us the game yesterday (by himself), but he deserves blame just like the O-line, RBs, and coaching staff.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

man, i thought that was the game's turning point. they go up 14 and kick to us with... like a minute and a half left. iirc, we go three and out with 3 (incomplete) pass plays, leaving warner more than a minute and (again, iirc) all 3 TOs. we then get off an effective punt, only to have it negated by a penalty. the second punt travels 29 yards and about 3 seconds later, fitzgerald walks into the end zone to make it a 3-touchdown game.

for all the griping at kubiak, i thought that was a patently poor sequence; that was not the time to abandon the run. had buddy ryan been our DC, he would have socked kyle shannahan.

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the first times that I can remember where Kubiak was aggressive in that situation - it backfired on him big time... wonder if this will have a carryover effect?

18. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I was at the game and thankfully at least we made it respectable. Their fans were being a little obnoxious and with the score I couldn't really say much. Once the second half got underway, things changed.

This was one of those games where we just found different ways to lose. The missed FG, the call on 4th and 1, the pick, the overthrow, the list goes on. Even Jacoby getting us almost in the red zone and us coming up with nothing.

First I can't believe how inconsistent we are. The team in the first half looked like the Raiders, the one in the second looked like they could beat anyone. I don't know if they just stopped playing so much zone in the second, but they looked great. Again though they look great for halves or three quarters of games.

On Schaub, I'm good with that guy taking snaps. He made some mistakes, but it doesn't help when we can't get one yard on a rush, repeatedly. Also its not on him that we spotted AZ 21 points. The guy has won some games for us and got us in it yesterday even when the Cards knew he was throwing. I won't let one game turn him into a choke artist or garbage.

We need a running game. Bad.

Andre confirmed yesterday to me that he is the best receiver in the game. He took out a linebacker and carried two other defenders with him to the endzone. Even the fans in the stadium looked in awe. I even said to them he was the best reciever in the game to no response. It could've been that they were in shock.

Lastly, its hard to get real hope going with the inconsistency. Yes we could very easily have a good record, but we really don't deserve it. I can only hope that we can start to put together complete good games.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm not sure anyone would agree with that. Young was at least a QB on 2 playoff teams and made a probowl. I'd rather have a guy that can run and not throw than a guy that can't run and can't throw.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Actually you're the one that sucks for attempting that comparison. My stats are designed to show that Schaub, still a relatively unproven commodity, is racking up against bad teams and that those who are using his stats to declare him an elite QB are off. You're trying to make a comparison to a three time Super Bowl champion based on five games performance. The truth of the matter is that everyone of us except for the resident Schaub crackhead homer himself would trade Schaub for Brady in a second.