1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Cardinals

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 6, 2009.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

DD, Ive asked this question several times...since you feel that Schaub is not a top 20 QB...I want you to name 10 QBs in the league that are better than Schaub. I just want to get a feel for who you think is superior to Matt.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This thread has gotten so r****ded.

The clear problem is that there are two arguments going on here.

The first argument is that Schaub made two significant errors at critical points that cost us the game. This is TRUE. Schaub had a good game and we may not have been in a position to win the game ultimately without his play HOWEVER he made two big mistakes with the game on the line and those mistakes ultimately cost us the game.

The second argument is whether or not you can win with Schaub. You can obviously win with Schaub, on an otherwise talented team, if he can stay healthy and he has time to throw the ball. Ultimately the jury is still out on this however because he has yet to stay healthy for a full season and he has yet to show, like some of the better quaterbacks in football, that he has the pocket presence and movement within the pocket to avoid the rush, buy time to throw the ball, and complete passes under pressure.

A lot of QB's can stand back there and throw the ball around the yard when there's no pressure on them and that's what happened today. Running up a bunch of numbers against the Arizona Cardinals and all the terrible defenses we've faced so far is obviously having some of you believe Schaub a top five QB but a top five QB brings that win home today. Top QB's don't just rack up numbers against crap defenses, they win games because with the ball in their hands on every play they have the ability to rise to the moment and be the difference between winning and losing despite how poorly their team has played to that point.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm a little less stressed now after looking at the standings.

Division is out of reach so we have to obviously focus on the wildcard spots.

We're 1 game back. Hate to sound cliche but we just gotta take it one game at a time. Next week is big. Every week is big.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

"He sucks. He's not a top 20 NFL QB."

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Anyone that thinks Schaub is the problem is not watching the games, IMO. Other than the fact he is a bit fragile he is solid when he is out there.

Im not even a Texans fan, but living in the Woodlands, I am privy to all of their games. Schaub is solid. The texans suffer from a sub par offensive line and a lack of a running attack. The pick that Schaub threw, (besides being a bad read), was a weak and TIRED throw. That comes from throwing the ball 45 or 50 times or whatever.

As well their defense (outside of a few players) is terrible. But to be talking about Schaub at all after todays game is a little off.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Defense - Passing Yards per Game

30 - Arizona - 280 yards/game
    31 - Tennessee - 282 yards/game
    31 - Jacksonville - 282 yards/game

Defense - QB Rating

27 - Jacksonville 97.7
    28 - Arizona - 98.8
    31 - Tennessee - 107.1

Schaub's numbers against the worst defenses in football.

86-124, 69% comp, 342 ypg, 9 TD, 2 INT

Against the rest.

29-55, 52.7% comp, 195 ypg, 1 TD, 2 INT

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Before this week started,

Pass Defense:
    21 - Buffalo
    23 - Baltimore
    27 - Atlanta

Tom Brady against 3 subpar passing defenses:
    85-127 (67%)
    4 TD
    1 INT
    304 yds/game
    3-0 record

Tom Brady against everyone else:
    42-80 (52.5%)
    2 TD
    1 INT
    215 yds/game
    0-2 record

Tom Brady must suck.

8. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I had a breakthrough in my attempt to become a big fan of the Texans.

Today, for the first time, I was actually disappointed about the loss and surprised about the way it happened.

I'm getting there.

9. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i agree. he was relying on a lot of short passes at the end of the game which were working but his velocity was also going down. schaub is a fine QB. id say top 10 at least in the NFL.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Also with that, where are the "Shaub-copter" muff jobs and similar? I want to see all these repeated Matt Shaub choking mistakes that have repeatedly lead to Texans losses. I've seen 3 references of WINNING drives. Not saying it hasnt happened, I know it has before. But besides the Cardinals game, I havent seen a Shaub losing the game reference. "But I'm indifferent to the Texans to notice everything..."... no that doesnt count. If the Shaub caused losses didnt resonate too deep, then it musnt have been that bad.

Shaub cost the Texans this game, 85% on Shaub shoulders. If this was a PLAYOFF game, a Houston lynch mob would be meeting him at the airport. I'm not that stubborn in my opinion. Just need similar instances to adjust my opinion. Going forward if Shaub does this 1-2 more times then he's trash regardless of numbers.

I hate these attention grabber provocative talking points. The its not an opinion unless it draws in a bunch of listeners and viewers type.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember in the last game thread someone said that Schaub is better than Peyton Manning.

I say Peyton Manning is much better than Schaub. That's just my opinion.

12. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

i'm tired of every official texans game thread being derailed by everyone trying to reason with DD to no avail.

just ignore his trolling comments and lets just discuss the game.

13. sammy

That's ridiculous. Peyton is the best in the business.

It doesn't even matter who is coaching when it comes to Peyton. He has total freedom out there.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

this is kinda like the people in the garm thinking tmac > kobe

I understand the homerism, but it make makes you look dumb

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=4783143&postcount=54

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That post doesn't say Schaub> Peyton.

Anyways, I think Jemarcus Russell is way better than Vince Young. That's just my opinion.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. "
    -Michael Jordan

We can't just say "Oh Matt lost this game..." Then forget about Tennesse, Miami, Green Bay...all the games where he drove the team down the field to win.

Peyton has lost games in the clutch, in fact so much so he was known as a choker before his superbowl win and some people still call him that. Is he not a top 5 QB?

I'm just tired on wins and losses always going down to the QB, especially when that QB threw for 300 yards and 2 TDs its silly IMO to even say he cost us the game. He wasn't going to have a perfect game, that's what people are blaming him for today. Not playing perfect.

Can't say i'm surprised though, in the NFL it's always "Blame the QB" first. Ignore the other numerous mistakes other players made and focus on the one time the QB threw a INT.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

earlier in the thread, you can see that they were posting stats showing Shaub ranking higher than peyton.

To me, they shouldn't be in the same sentence, Shaub has to prove himself to be on that level.

I could careless if you hate Vince Young.

They'll always be Titans fans who were Oiler fans who never left their team.

Warren Moon b****es.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

The high profile players get the blame and the glory.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What's wrong with posting stats?

Most of the Titans fans following VY aren't real Oiler fans...they just jumped on the bandwagon after he got drafted. A couple of them even said they would be Texans fans if the Texans changed their name to the Oilers. Yeah, real fans there.

I love Warren Moon...now he is a REAL Oiler, not the 0-5 phonies in Tennesse.

20. sammy

Ya he's reaching there big time and/or his reasoning is off.

Anyways, Schaub has the second most fantasy points now..

At this rate, Matt will be the first Texans QB to make the pro-bowl.