1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Browns

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Called it.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I could see that, but my backup QB is Tom Brady. Needing to find a QB this late is brutal.

3. Buck Turgidson

The thread police
    They get inside of my head
    The thread police
    They come to me in my bed
    The thread police
    They're coming to arrest me
    Oh no

Wrong forum.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Well. I originally drafted Andrew Luck to start the season in Round 5(LOL)

10 Man league with knowledgeable sports guys(picking up FA is impossible with this group) is a tough task.

Foster and Nelson have singlehandedly won me games this year.

I just have this feeling that Mallet is going to play very well this weekend.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if you are a lock to make the playoffs, you might as well roll with your gut. IMO it's a big risk because Mallett is a huge question mark. What little we know about him is his statuesque style of play, his inaccuracy with the ball, and that half of Shiloh Keo's career interceptions came against him.

6. tmacfor35

I am a firm believer of guys getting in a groove.

I think mallet can take advantage of the playmakers that the Texans have on offense.

We will see, but I am expecting to see some nice down field throws to TE's.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, it could happen, I just don't know where he's going to get the time to throw the ball from.

8. tmacfor35

I think after last year(I jumped on the bandwagon quick) with Keenum, I am now gun shy with new QB's. Even if Mallet does well these next 7 games, he will still be a question mark.

Here's hoping to winning out this year. Won't happen, but would be awesome if it did.

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Same here, unless i draft late in the first. I don't even roll with a backup QB, I just stream one come bye week. Rather use that spot to load up or stash wr/rb

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Cushing and Clowney expected to play.

And debut of mallet. Can't wait.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I really don't get this logic.

Not predicting it will happen, but HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING, what if he posts a 110 QBR for the next 7 games? Why would he still be a question mark? How many games would he have to do it before he's not a question mark anymore?

12. tmacfor35

Nick Foles is a good example. I would say all of next season as well.

I would still draft your QB round 1 if he is there next year.

It is hard to tell these days.

13. Major

Major Member

Nick Foles is your comparison here - he posted a 120 QB Rating over nearly a full season last year and still came back to earth this year to the point where they are already saying Mark Sanchez might be the starter next year. It would really depend on what he looks like and if it seems sustainable.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Just because you believe the Texans are a mediocre team doesn't mean everyone who's laying down bets believe the same. You can't take your opinions and try to make them facts. There are many people out their who believe the Texans main problem was Fitzpatrick. And Vegas is rich because of a bunch of suckers laying down bets by the way.

Drop one of those dudes and pick up Josh McCown if he's available. He's starting to heat up and so is his receivers and they play Washington who is terrible against the pass.

Carr has already had a great fantasy day against San Diego and with them losing one of their starting cornerbacks he should have another.

Teddy Bridgewater is playing Chicago ---> Need I say more...??? Just watch the weather reports for that game though.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Still a question mark. Don't know what the threshold is, but it's more than 9 games. It's at least a full season, maybe more. It's not all that different from evaluating rookie QBs who might take a few years before you really know if they're going to make it or not. Josh Freeman had a great 2nd year before taking a nosedive. The big difference is that rookies usually have several years on their contract to allow you to evaluate them while we only have the rest of the season with Mallett.

Josh McCown posted a 109 passer rating (QBR is different) last year in 8 games. Is he a viable, long term franchise QB? No, he isn't. Should the Bills invest in Kyle Orton? Should somebody give Colt McCoy another shot? The history of the league is littered with QBs that did well in a short stint, got rewarded with a new contract and a secure starting job, and failed to reproduce their initial success.

If Mallett has success, it might give the Texans pause, but you can't feel 100% confident in him after only 9 games no matter what he does. There will definitely be the fear of him regressing in a first FULL year as starter like others before him have done.

#115 Cannonball, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  16. Remii

Remii Member

But if Mallet or Savage finishes out the year looking good or decent... Do you believe the Texans would actually spend a 1st round pick on a quarterback...??? Especially if they pay to keep Mallet.

17. tmacfor35

I don't think Mallet is the answer. But if he does play well, you do bring up a viable hurdle in the process. You do have to ante up.

Cuts this next summer are going to awesome.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If the Texans pay to keep Mallet, they will not draft a first round QB. It is one or the other.

19. tmacfor35

Depends on how much you sign Mallet for.

I like what the Browns did. They have two viable QB options. It is no secret that a good QB will make your team competitive.

I have no problem loading up on QB's.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My only counter to the Nick Foles comparison is that at least we had more to go on prior to him catching fire last year. Before last year, he'd thrown 265 passes in the NFL. Mallet has thrown 4.

McCown had played in 46 games in 7 seasons, never having a QBR higher than 75 before all the sudden catching fire last year. Even though he's a fellow Bearkat.....everyone in the world besides Tampa Bay knew last year was just an aberration.

I guess my point is these other examples had previous history to go by before getting hot. Mallet has none.

That being said, I will be disappointed if we sign him to a Schaub-like contract and don't draft a QB early next draft, no matter how he performs this year.