1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Bengals

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Texans 36
    Bengals 20

2. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

lol. I jus looked at teh schedule and going into week 16, the texans should be at around 12-3 and I think they should rest their starters in that final week 16 game to get read for their first round bye. :cool:

3. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I came up withthe same thing. I almost thought though that maybe they'd win so big later this year that one of the losses would be reversed and we'd end up 14-2.

BTW did you make it out to the game against the cards?

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Don't get your hopes up. It looks like Frank Gore will be back by next week (niners have a bye this week). The road ahead is still long, hard and tough even if the Texans manage to beat Cincy.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the texans once "easy" schedule just got completely flip flopped with all these "bad" teams playing good.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Awfully concerned about our interior D-Line facing a smashback in Cedric Benson, all kidding aside. We've been dealing with a lot of off-tackle runners, which our run blitzing has helped against. I want to see it succeed against a RB ramming between the tackles before I breathe easy. We're toast if the first two downs are an automatic 7+ yds.

With our secondary starting to figure things out and fielding a better lineup, I'm not as concerned about Palmer and 85.

Offensively, what can you say? If the coaching staff plays to our strengths and is creative rather than obsessively trying to use a DOA run to set up the pass, we'll score on anyone in the league.

For the love of god, Kubiak. The passing game doesn't need Slaton's 2 yd/carry to work.

Evan

7. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I am torn here on who to start for my fantasy team, Ced Benson or Deangelo Williams (facing an equally bad run team, statistically wise in Tampa Bay). In my head I keep telling myself that our defense that plays the run 97% of the time pretty good will show up for the entire game and not have those mental lapses where the opposing runner breaks one off for 60, but then reality keeps kicking in telling me Benson's going to have a big game....

8. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

right?? i was the wild-eyed, crazy optimist who thought the Astros would get to about 81 wins this last season. couple of differences with the 'stros for me:

1. they're the 'stros. i have history with them. deep history;

2. i didn't have an expectation they'd be good...i don't have an expectation they'll be good next year. they were strong for about 10 years. i'd love to have the texans put together roughly 10 years like the 'stros did from 1994-2005. i'd give them a pass when they had to rebuild...start over. but the expectation was that this team would be good. and that expectation wasn't just a houston expectation. that's why it's disappointing. and from half to half, this team is WILDLY inconsistent. i don't know if they'll win or lose because I have no idea who will show up.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For some weird reason, I have a good feeling about this game...and I haven't had any good feelings about any of the games this entire season.

11. MadMax

really?? you didn't feel good about any game at all this season going in to it?? not even the oakland game?

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It might just be that there is no potential for a letdown, or at least not as much of one. If we lose, we lost to the 5-1 Bengals on the road that are in first place in a tough division. It's not the same to losing to a slightly above average Cardinals team or a pretty poor Jaguars team.

As a fan, I kind of have the same feeling I did going into Tennessee. Not expecting to win, but will be pleasantly surprised if we do. And I know we are capable of it.

13. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Nope. I expected the team to win that game, but I didn't have confidence the team would play well. I mean, we fully expected the Texans to roll the Raiders in the 2nd to last game of last season as well and we know how that turned out. I expected the Raiders to be much better this season than they were last year.

These feelings I have are rarely based on any analysis. All logical analysis would lead one to believe that Sanchez would be over his head in his first NFL game and we could rattle him...but I felt otherwise. No real reason for it save for the few snaps I saw him take in the preseason. I just had bad feelings about games so far and I don't about this one...can't really explain it.

#53 RunninRaven, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  14. MadMax

at this point, i'm fine with wins, whether we play well or not.

we've had lots of games where i've heard in high volume, "oh...so close we're getting better, though! pretty soon, we'll find a way to win those games!!! we're playing good football."

and then i vomit.

15. conquistador#11

I know that that texans run run run run run run run run in order to get that one shot with the play action, but at what point do you say F* the play action?
    Like emjohn said, the texans have to play to their strenghts.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Just stick Slaton in the slot and run screens for him. I want him involved in the offense if he can't run the ball through our toilet paper OL.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Does it seem like the most major issue with the Texans is. . . FOCUS

Do the d*mn thing week in and week out

Rocket River

18. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Honestly, I'm not all that convinced that play-action would be helped that much from handing the ball off. Towards the end of the Cardinals game, all the team was doing was passing. They still ran play action from time to time and it was effective.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Did anyone catch that stat about how the Bengals had only allowed something like 2 catches for x yards to the opposing team's best receiver through 4 games? I'm not talking about per game, I mean TOTAL. 4 games, 2 catches total for the other team's best receiver. Thats pretty damn impressive.

They are playing some pretty inspired defense right now.

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

See I heard that stat too but then you like at there overall numbers and there 23rd in passing and 18th in total yards so it looks like there taking away the best player on the team and making everyone else beat them. Also 12th in points allowed, which combined with the above stats, which tell me there playing a bend but don't break defense and its working for them to perfection minus one fluke TD.