1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ 49'ers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They are all no doubters and obvious situations. The only difference is that the texans had a historically bad component that was opposite of it's head coaches expertise, largely due to inept and unproven coordinators that were hired before.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think the Texans are contenders, all those high draft picks are going to finally pay off.

DD

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

I agree and I never thought I would. The Texans have been the most dysfunctional team in the NFL AND Kubiak still scares me. I just don't think he is head coach material. We should have serious doubts until they have won several "real" games. If they are winning when the Steelers roll into town and they beat them, well, hold on because the bandwagon will be rolling down hill. I must admit they have looked scary good in the preseason. If the Texan's offense can do what they do and the defense is strong, whoa. How about a Lions/Texans SuperBowl, O.K. by me?

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Hey, I'm not the one that needed it spelled out...

5. Two Sandwiches

I agree with Kubiak not really being playoff head coach material. But I think with Kubiak at head coach, and Wade Phillips with defensive responsibility (coupled with good assistants) is actually arguably an elite level staff.

This team has looked scary good. I'm trying to keep myself grounded, but it's hard. We all know how good the offense is. It should be even better with Tate coming back, and James Casey being utilized more. There are not many linebackers in the league that will be able to cover Casey coming out of the backfield on passing downs.

As far as the defense goes, the secondary is actually getting some coaching, and it looks to be paying dividends. Even our second and third stringers are looking halfway decent. Hell, Kareem Jackson looked at least average in the last game (I know this was preseason). I wasn't totally sold on this idea with Wade Phillips at the time of hire, but I'm drinking the koolaid so much, I fear I'm suffering from water intoxication (okay, that was stupid). I can't remember the last time we ran more than 5 blitz packages in a game. The secondary was hurt very badly by the lack of pressure last year. With these new stunts, we're getting pressure with the best of the teams in the league. Couple that with solid coaching, a few good defensive additions, the (possible) reemergence of Brian Cushing, Demeco Ryans being healthy, and we're looking like we could have a top 5 offense, coupled with a top 10 defense. If Kareem Jackson starts "getting it" this season, watch out!:eek:

This team seriously has the talent and coaching to win 13 games this year.

6. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

As long as coaching involves game management, that will be a detriment to this team under Kubiak. But the schemes are good. :grin:

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think 11-5 is most definitely doable and Im barely drinking any kool aid.

With a few sips of it though, Im thinking 12 wins and a first round bye.

8. msn

msn Member

"Kool-aid", Eddie? Sounds more 160-proof EverClear, to me. :grin:

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

True, but a large reason why they are (finally) contenders this year is due to the fact that the AFC South is in a period of "flux" also known as disarray. Peyton's injury along with the situation in Tennessee and Jacksonville have provided them with the opportunity to actually do something real. It remains to be seen if they can take the next step and actually go toe-to-toe with the likes of NE, NYJ, Baltimore and the Steelers but they do look good so far.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ah hell..

[​IMG]

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What happened here (long, long overdue) is almost step-for-step exactly what happened in New Orleans two years ago; in Green Bay a year ago. Bellicheck did this for years and years during the Patriots' dynasty. It is not uncommon and its silly to try and apply degrees to it. I promise you: Mike McCarthy isn't crashing any of Dom Capers' defensive meetings and peering over his shoulder during games (so to speak - Capers sits in the pressbox). These guys take these coordinator jobs because they're more or less given complete autonomy.

12. Two Sandwiches

I'm just sayin'!:grin:

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You're drinking more than you think. ;) Prepare to be disappointed.

I hope you are right. Would be nice.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Whenever I feel myself getting a little overly optimistic with the win total (12 wins), I force myself to remember games like the Chargers (ball bounces off Andre's foot directly into opposing DB's hands) and the Ravens (pick 6 to end OT) to bring me back down to Earth. This offense is highly potent, but they also have a tendency to be snake-bitten with terribly-timed turnovers.

[​IMG]