1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training Game Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 25, 2017.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I know. I was being a tad facetious with those numbers, but I'm curious to see what it would take for some CFers to pencil him into the opening day roster.

Given his inconsistencies, I'd say it's nearly impossible for him to crack the opening day roster, but you never know...

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I don't think there's anyway he plays himself into a roster spot; the only route I see is significant injuries to multiple people. Even then there's probably enough positional versatility in the organization that a Kemp or OFer gets the call instead.

3. xcrunner51

Derek Fisher doing Derek Fisher things, not making contact (3ab's with 3 K's).

Love the tools but I never see him hitting enough for the majors. I think Laureano jumps him this year.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Nice first outing for Reymin Guduan... got out of a bases-loaded situation to bail out Aaron West in the 6th and struck out the side in the 7th. Only hiccup he had was an errant pickoff throw.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Literally the only spring training stat I put any stock in at all is homers. Because it is the only stat that shows something concrete in small samples: the player has the power to hit the ball over the fence. Given the discrepancy in talent level from inning to inning, the layoff, and the small sample, hits, walks, strikeouts, steals, and pitching stats don't mean squat. I suppose I'd also put some stock in velocity as well which falls under the same concept.

6. xcrunner51

Any further development of Gustave and Guduan is pure gravy. The pen is stacked with much better options right now

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I care about strikeouts.

Guduan would be great because we need another LHP. Gustave will matter when there is an injury, and he is a likely replacement for Gregerson next year. Either one of them actually becoming something would definitely be sweet (Gustave definitely looked good last year). Both would just be amazing.

8. xcrunner51

Not saying they won't get some ML time in the next couple years but if either becomes more than a mop-up middle reliever that's a huge win.

On the RHP side, there are so many good starting prospects who can/will become high leverage bullpen guys (Feliz, Martes, Paulino) that Gustave forcing his way in the late inning picture would be gravy.

On the LHP side, no doubt the team needs a good lefty reliever but I have no expectation of guduan being that guy. He's a Chapman level guy. Good stuff with poor control.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Reminder: Today's game will be on tape delay on MLB Network

10. toycannon

toycannon Member

Astros playing Mets now...I'm following it on MLB gameday....

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, Ron Darling has been a Mets analyst/announcer for 11 years. He just admitted prior to today, he did not know if the Mets starter, Conlon, was right or left handed. In A ball, Conlon had the best ERA in ALL OF BASEBALL for qualified starters. He was the Mets minor league starter of the year in 2016. Seems odd that one of the primary announcers doesn't know which way a guy throws for a player of his stature.

12. Buck Turgidson

It's Spring Training for them too.

13. xcrunner51

That seems like that would be a primary factoid to have in the pre-game media guide they get.

14. toycannon

toycannon Member

I see Ron Darling on MLB network alot now, so maybe he's more focus on his TV career than with the details about the Mets organization.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd bet Bill Brown hasn't had a full working knowledge of the Astros farm system over the years, and he's been with the Astros forever.

These guys' main responsibility, and what they're typically good at... is covering the major league team.

Hell, some of them have a hard enough time keeping track of the actual major leaguers on the roster, let alone the minor league guys (prominent or not).

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Throw beat Springer, but fielder couldn't handle the hop on the throw.

17. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

It is on MLB Network at 8pm.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Paulino has really good stuff. He might crack the rotation at some point this season.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Thank goodness they have rebounded well on this critical 4 game road trip to start their spring training schedule.

20. xcrunner51

They came back on won it in the 9th! 5-2 Stros on the strength of a 4 run 9th inning.

I will point out they had two TOOTBLAN's in the final frame on top of one yesterday. Hopefully TOOTBLAN's don't continue to be a thing this year.