1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training 2019

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 14, 2019.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They did the same with Brady Rodgers when he was out last year.

2. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Reed and Fisher are under LHH. I don't know where White and Kemp are, though. I guess not suiting up for some reason.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I thought you do gain a spot on the 40-man if someone from it goes on the 60-day.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

You do. That’s what I was saying; if they option a player to the minors, he cannot then be placed on the 60 Day DL, which means the optioned (injured) player will take up a 40 man spot. For example, Martes will now take up a 40 man spot. If they need his 40 man spot for someone else, they would have to recall him, then place him on the 60 Day DL. (I am not 100% certain on this so others are welcome to chime in.)

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They did this in 2017 for Rodgers to free up a spot for Verlander.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I see. I was looking at it as 2 separate transactions.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Peacock starts the day with another perfect inning

2 soft ground outs and a strike out

8. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I'm at the game today. Boys looking a little sloppy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smacktle, astros123, awc713 and 3 others like this.
  9. right1

right1 Member

Stubbs just keeps raking and gunning down runners. Chirinos is getting into a hitting groove. I would love to see shared catching duties between those two. At this point, Stassi might clear waivers if that's something they want to consider.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  10. prospecthugger

Even if Stassi cleared waivers (which seems unlikely) he could elect FA if he's outrighted. There's really no reason to do that, since spring training performance is basically meaningless.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. right1

right1 Member

I was basing my opinion on much more than a few spring training games. Last year we had to go out and get Maldonado (another rhh catcher) to replace him. Obviously they didn't have faith in him to carry the load. There seemed to be a rumor last year as well that our aces didn't like throwing to him. Maybe he is more serviceable this year. Hopefully, Chirinos stays healthy and can carry the load, but I do see Stubbs playing a role this season. His lefty bat, speed and 45% cs rate could benefit the team.

On another note, switch-hitting Abraham Toro continues to impress. We'll see how he does starting the year at Corpus, I imagine.

12. Buck Turgidson

WTF is an Airbit?

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like an air filled orbit.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

Just playing devils advocate, but Stassi didn’t seem to mesh well with the rotation last year. IIRC, JV and DK didn’t like Stassi calling their games, granted DK always came off like a diva when he struggled. Wonder if Stubbs is any better from that respect.

15. Buck Turgidson

Well that makes entirely too much sense.

You're not the only one who noticed that. I sure hope Chirinos plays out.

16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

JV said a few weeks ago he was looking to get on the same page with Chirinos because he (JV) likes to call his own game. Guess that was a subtle nod to Stassi.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros gave up 3.78 r/g with him as a starter. That would be a shade behind the Dodgers in r/g allowed, but considering the DH in the AL, the Astros with Stassi behind the plate were better at preventing runs than any other team was at preventing runs. Looking at games that Stassi didn't start at catcher, Astros gave up 2.98 r/g.

Not sure this means anything regarding Stassi's defensive ability as it could be just bad luck with getting off days for the team. That said, pitchers don't like giving up runs. If they noticed on average they were giving up a significantly higher number of runs with Stassi at the plate (27%), Stassi would get blamed whether it was his fault or not.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Great post. I’m surprised there isn’t a stat that normalizes r/g for catchers factoring opponent, pitchers, and park. Maybe there is and I don’t know about it.

texans1095 likes this.
  19. SuraGotMadHops

I remember last season Keuchel gave a subtle jab to Stassi's pitch calling in an interview, maybe he really is bad at it.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fangraphs has rCERA posted which is basically that except it is basically the total number of runs earned or lost by the catcher for the season.

Basically the difference in ERA between McCann and Stassi is 5 runs over about 500 innings according to this stat, or about 0.08 r/9 innings and not the rough 0.80 r/g difference we see in games that Stassi starts vs not. Pitchers impression is likely to be that of the rough number.

Snake Diggit likes this.