1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official "Should I" Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Lil Pun, Sep 2, 2009.

1. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

If there are bonuses for large yardage and such, then I would definitely consider taking a QB. It sounds like none of the big 3 (Brees, Manning, Rodgers) will be there by the time you pick anyway. But if I was in your shoes I would probably take Calvin Johnson, D
    Thomas, or Jimmy Graham, and just take my chances with that 2nd pick

2. Dash

Dash Member

You guys have confidence in Arian Foster in fantasy this year?

3. primtim24

I do....for the right price. I wouldn't take him before the 3rd round. But I do think there's high upside there for him.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I have the 12th pick in my 14-team league and three QBs will be gone by the time I pick.

5. thething

thething Contributing Member

Basically it depends on how deep your league is. If you have a small number of teams, elite talent wins, so keep Mccoy. If it is a large amount of teams, keep Bernard, since you will have Bernard + one of the top guys who was not kept.

If you have the top pick in the first round you could still select Mccoy--check that first.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Even if passing TDs are worth 4 points, Peyton Manning is definitely a first round pick this year.

Picking 9th, I would definitely target a high production non-RB. Jimmy Graham is going to outperform any other TE by a large margin weekly and provide you with a consistent advantage there. If Graham has already been taken, I would look at Peyton.

Now, picking 9th gives you a distinct advantage this year. You will be able to nab 2 top performers at their position. Should you take Peyton 9th, I would target Dez Bryant or Demaryius Thomas next. Or I would perhaps take Megatron/Thomas/Bryant 9th and target Brees or Rodgers next. While other people are reaching for risky RBs, you solidify your weekly point totals.

Getting a top QB/WR combo will give you higher point totals weekly from those positions. After this, I would take 3 RBs in the next 4 rounds or even 4 RBs in the next 5 rounds. Your goal is to draft at least 2 productive RBs. There is a high bust rate among RBs, so you need to make sure you have a large quantity.

Your strategy would look something like this...

QB/WR/RB/RB/WR/RB/RB/WR/TE/WR/QB/RB/RB/DST/K

This should go without saying, but never draft a backup K, D, or TE for that matter (Reason? the value above replacement found on the waiver wire will be marginally smaller, whereas RB/WR always present upside). There is very little difference in Kickers. The top K is going to outscore the 12th highest scoring kicker by maybe 1.2 ppg. If I have Peyton, Rodgers, or Brees, I don't even draft a backup QB. WR and RB are too important to load up on. Always load up on RB/WR as much as you can as long as there are no roster position limits. You can still find useful WRs at the end of the middle rounds, but RBs will be plucked clean. Wait until the last few rounds and spend some picks on sleeper RBs or backups one injury away from heavy usage.

#7806 moestavern19, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Had the 9th pick last year in my GF's league, took Manning and Graham back to back. Won $400. Could have taken Richardson and Rice and ruined my life.

8. primtim24

I think all of this is spot on, my only suggestion would be that between the 3rd round and about the 8th round) take the best player available (WR/RB ONLY) they will be EXTREMELY valuable commodities.

9. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Somebody just offered me their 1st and 8th round pick for my 3rd and 4th. I should definitely take that, right? Their pick should be around 5 out of 12, and mine should be like 8

10. primtim24

According to my sources it's not as dynamite of a trade like it sounds like....but my sources have been wrong before. In a 12 team league, I'd personally do it, you're 1st 3 picks will all be inside the top 17.

Btw, here's the proof of my "sources":
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. AB423

AB423 Member

I rather have 3rd and 4th rounders.

12. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

10 person PPR league, keepers league.

I'm keeping Matt Forte as one of my keepers. For the other one (we get 2), I can either choose between giving up a 7th rounder to keep Ben Tate or an 11th rounder to keep Jordan Cameron. What do?

13. primtim24

I would probably keep Jordan Cameron, the 11th.round is a very good value for him. Maybe I'm just not that high on former Texans, but I have a very hard time thinking Ben Tate will stay healthy and is worth a high pick in ppr leagues. I think early in the season he'll be a good player, but as the season goes on, Jordan Cameron will have separated himself from the other tight ends FAR more than Ben Tate will have from the running backs....there's a very distinct tier on TE's, and Jordan Cameron is solidly in the 2nd tier and using an 11th round pick for that is a great value...just my opinion...

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

In a standard, non-ppr league that starts a QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/DST

I have Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Crabtree, and Cecil Shorts. My TE is Jason Witten.

Should I trade Dez Bryant and Jason Witten for Jimmy Graham and Golden Tate?

15. Pete the Cheat

keep seeing him land in the 3rd...but you might see him over drafted if you are playing in a Texans heavy league.

better question for me is, who is the true handcuff? Grimes or Blue?

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I would take that trade.

Jimmy Graham will beast this season as well as Dez Bryant, but Jimmy holds a significant edge on any other TE in the field. Golden Tate should get a great amount of targets in what looks to be a high powered offense.

If you didn't already have D. Thomas I would be reluctant, but you're getting pretty good value in return for essentially giving up Dez. Jason Witten isn't the guy he used to be plus he's another year older.

17. primtim24

I agree, I'd be all over that trade. I would have to almost seem reluctant, as to not tip them off to my excitement!

18. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Have the 11th pick in a 12 team league. Its a .5 PPR league.
    1 QB
    2 RB
    2 WR
    Flex position (RB/WR or TE are eligible at FLEX)
    1 TE
    D/ST
    K

Any thoughts at who I should be targeting at no. 11 and 14?
    I doubt Manning would last that long.

19. thething

thething Contributing Member

Demaryius Thomas is a no-brainer for me at that spot if he's available. He is going to be dominant and I think he'll be the top WR in the league. I have the 11th pick as well in a standard league.

At 14 I'm not sure whether to roll the dice with a guy like Montee Ball or stay safe with an elite WR like Dez Bryant or AJ Green. Demarco Murray, Marshawn Lynch, and Gio Bernard are worth considering if you want a RB.

20. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

You'd be better off targeting a guy like Demarco Murray or Monte Ball(if he's available) and the 2nd tier WR's like Thomas, Bryant, Marshall with your picks. With the emphasis on .5PPR, QB's will likely go lower than expected.