1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rockies @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think he would get that message regardless when he has a $100 million dollar payroll, and the best his fans are hoping for is around .500.

2. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Who cares if they have a winning season?! A winning season is like kissing your sister. Playoffs or rebuild the team is the only option.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There is the key phrase - "if they knew how", although I would add, "in a game situation". I doubt if I would ever have someone like Carlos Lee bunt. It also depends on who is coming up. For example, if it were Pence on 2nd and Lee on 1st with Berkman, Blum and Maysonet due up, do you really want Berkman bunting?

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Most of the time, a winning season is the only way to make the playoffs.

Secondly, a lot of the success they will have "rebuilding" depends upon the success of the young pieces they already have in place. They won't have any better chance at "reubilding" successfully than they do at making the playoffs this year, if they don't get continued improvements from Bourne, Pence, Wandy, a back-to-norm Berkman, and signs that Keppinger can be an everyday player.

You guys are ridiculous... you'd rather have a horrid season with the "hope" that some magic prospects can come in and grow into a perenial powerhouse (which hasn't happened ANYWHERE since the ~1996 Yankees), rather than have a solid season from the mix of youngsters and veterans that they currently have, with the hope that the addition of more developed youngsters with key veterans can put this team in playoff position?

Good thing you guys haven't been rooting for any other teams in baseball... because they ALL would have you severely dissapointed.

5. Major

Major Member

So you won't look at 2 months of performance, but you'll look at 3 plate appearances? :confused:

6. Major

Major Member

Who's suggesting he's a 1.000 OPS hitter? :confused: He's performing virtually identical to his first season in the majors.

Year 1: 450 AB, 0.899 OPS
    Year 2: 595 AB, 0.783 OPS
    Year 3: 183 AB, 0.893 OPS

What is so flukey about year 3 for a young player that should be improving?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And he wasn't a 3 hitter then. Nothing flukeish about consistency and improvement. I just don't consider him an elite enough hitter in that situation.

That is all.

8. Smacktle

The Astros had a winning season last year. No playoffs. A winning season doesn't garauntee playoffs.

Trade the old guys for a youth movement. Pence is overated. Berkman is washed up and Lee is just a big fat guy who can hit a home run every now and then. This team is not going to the series. Get over it.

NO! I want the owner to deal with reality. I want a team that is being built towards greatness. Not a team that teases you with mediocrity.

I've always been a big fan of the Astros. This team just doesn't do it for me. They look like they are just going through the paces. I'll always be disappointed if my team loses. I hope that makes me normal somehow.

9. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

Tom Glavine was just released.

Daryton, most likely working the phones. :D

10. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

whoops ... meant Drayton.

I guess I shoulda said "ED WADE," right?

Oh well.

11. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Morgan Ensberg will be a commentator at the Clemson-Arizona State series this weekend on ESPN. I wonder if he "retired" or that he couldn't find a job.

12. Smacktle

Oh yeah, just wanted to let you know that I'm watching the game and I put on my Berkman jersey while holding my Carlos Lee bobblehead as my dog named Hunter is licking my face. Are you satisfied now?!

13. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Is Marquis sporting a p*rn stache?

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

how was maysonet not looking to swing the bat at all that ab with moehler coming up behind him? he had 3 borderline strikes that he took. JD said that as a young player you need to know the situation, but since he clearly didn't, why didn't somebody tell him?

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I suspect he was caught between wanting to reach base to bring Moeller up and trying to drive in the run. I wish he'd been swinging on that 3-0 fastball.

16. BrooksBall

On the bright side, Bourn leads off next inning.

Maysonet should have been more aggressive though.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

no reason to be worrying about turning the order over when there is a runner in scoring position, and with us having just put up a 3-spot in the first inning. the first 2 pitches were right around the strike zone too.

18. BrooksBall

How about the season Joe Mauer is having... he's been one of the best hitters in baseball for a few seasons now but he already has 12 HRs in just over 100 ABs this season. He had 9 all of last season.

Tejada's arm is really, really bad... so bad I'm worried about Berkman getting injured on routine put outs.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah, he puts some pressure on berkman with just about every throw. that's why i've never understood how people always say that he should move to third because he's such a poor fielder...i can't imagine him trying to routinely make that throw.

ah well, hard to complain about the guy right now.

20. BrooksBall

I made the same point in a previous post. Moving him to 3rd would eliminate some of his range limitations, but his throws would become even more of an issue. It still may be the wise thing to do if Tejada was willing and somebody else could play short. Maybe Maysonet if he sticks around or Matsui if he ever gets healthy? It won't likely happen this season anyway... esp. with Tejada hitting like this. They won't wanna mess with his mojo.