1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rockies @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 1, 2009.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Pence looked safe to me but it was a tough call to make.

2. BrooksBall

Kata or Keppinger?

3. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

my choice is kepp.

4. BrooksBall

I know the score was tied at the time but does anybody think Cooper should have had Pence bunt with men on 1st and 2nd and no outs?

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes... almost always yes. There are a select few players on any team that you don't bunt in that siutation, and Pence is not one of them (yet).

Add to the fact that he's having a terrible game, and you would have given Berkman a chance with the bases loaded and 1 out.

Even with his struggles thus far this season, I'd rather have Berkman up with the bases loaded and 1 out, rather than have Pence swing away with a man on 1st and 2nd and nobody out.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The way the game is today, almost nobody outside of pitchers and speedsters bunt anymore. Hunter has never had a sacrifice bunt with the Astros.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That may be true in the overall game, but not necessarily when the game is on the line. You'll still see managers call on many players to bunt in late game situations, especially with 2 men on and nobody out.

Now, they're not always successful, but it doesn't mean its not the right thing to do in that situation.

Again, what would you rather have... Berkman up with the bases loaded and 1 out, or any other player at the plate with first and second and nobody out.

8. BrooksBall

I had a gut feeling Pudge was going to hammer one out there with the way Fogg pitched to Maysonet and Keppinger. He hit one hard but not hard enough. Even though it was the bottom of our order, somebody should have gotten on base there. Fogg was throwing plenty of softies right over the plate. I hope he keeps pitching to the top of our order.

9. BrooksBall

Awesome D from Kata.

OK, if the Rockies bring Fogg back out, we should be able to do some damage. I think he got lucky last inning.

10. BrooksBall

Fogg was just asking for it. Thank you, Miggy.

The streak of losing when being down after 6 is over.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Astros got bailed out by miggy. They had golden chances to score early and totally bombed it.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I wouldn't really say they were bailed out. We stole this game from the Rockies. Tied in the 9th, won in the 11th.

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

turned this game on in the 7th. Glad I watched it

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

nice call on that one!

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

you are completely right, and the fact that this is true is and always will be insane to me. albert f'n pujols should lay down a bunt if the situation calls for it.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You would have Pujols bunt in the same situation? The opposing manager would probably go ahead and allow the runners to move to 2nd and 3rd just to get Pujols out.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and yet i think it's unfair to say that having pence swing away is necessarily the "wrong" move. i could understand thinking that you don't take the bat out of the hands of the guy who has been arguably their best hitter this season in favor of a guy who has struggled all season at the plate.

i missed the game last night....watched highlights online this morning....great win! go 'stros!

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'm just glad they won...

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not neccesarily the "wrong" move... just not the best move.

Berkman has struggled, yes. However, he's still leading the team in HR's, RBIs and walks, his career numbers indicate that he will (at some point) turn it around, and in an ideal world, he'd be batting IN FRONT of Pence regardless of the seasons they've been having (ie - a manager that has been there before, and knows that its just a matter of time before Berkman finds his niche... and you don't want to mess around with the order too much).

Having Berkman in the 5 hole has its advantages (more RBI opportunities)... and last night was a huge opportunity to take advantage of that. I've seen way too many extra inning debacles from this team (scoring wise) in recent years... I'm taking the best scoring chance possible.

20. Major

Major Member

But you're suggesting wasting an out with your 0.333 hitting Pence and having your 0.312 hitting Lee walked, in favor of 0.238 hitting Berkman and Blum.

Scenario #1: 2 men on, 0 out, Pence, Lee, Berkman due up
    Scenario #2: 3 men on, 1 out, Berkman, Blum up.