1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Rockets Keeping Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

No, but I remember hearing it repeatedly and I assume it must have come from Clyde during the broadcasts.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm slowly beginning to warm up to this pick. Adelman's right. This is becoming more of a speed league, and speed is one of the weakest point of our roster. So what if we have 5 pg already? Are any of them, other than Mike James, really solid rotation players? Alston is about to be shipped out. Head can't play the point in our system. JL3 is 3rd string. V-Span, as much as I like his potential, is still unknown. There's no reason why there isn't a place for Brooks, especially as a change-of-pace backup PG who can provide some instant offense.

As for picking him too early... if you like a player, you simply take him without worrying about where you pick. Could we have gotten him in the 2nd round? Maybe, maybe not. It's not worth the risk if Morey/Adelman really like him that much.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Landry kid was pretty much at the bottom of most mock drafts (at least the ones I have found), second round in several. Not very encouraging. The Rockets used 31. We must have the worst scouts in the league. Brooks at 26 is just pathetic. I feel sorry for the Rocket's players.

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I would loved to gotten Splitter. But he wouldn't have helped us. Les would never have paid the buyout, so we would have had to wait a year for him. would that help a year from now? yes. But that means we will already have to find a PF this year, who we will most likely have to sign to a multi-year deal.

A Splitter pick made no sense for our team.

5. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

And the PFs on other teams are 6'9" without shoes, 6'11" with shoes.

6. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

I knew it, a player from Oregon

I am not joking, i talked to my friends, they are all rockets fans of cause, coach will pick a player from Oregon if Jason Smith and Sean Williams are not available because coach A coached Portland and live in Oregon. NBA coaches are always doing things like that, we should remember how many Knicks players JVG broght in Huston. This should coach's choice, not GM's stats work.

I am not convinced at all by that pick, I watched several Oregon's NCAA games and was not impressed by Brooks' performance. Confused, confused..........

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Do y'all really expect a home run at 26? Do you really think all that stuff Po'land got is quality?

Next season's roster still to be determined. I am willing to wait - until July 15th!

8. kturner77

kturner77 Member

It amazes me how much everyone has so much to say about a guy they know nothing about. I seem to remember the 1992 Draft and the debate between the Rockets drafting Robert Horry or Harold Miner. NO ONE wanted Horry, and 15 years later NO ONE even remembers who Harold Miner is! (oops, he did win the dunk contest that year, my bad...Horry had 2 rings with the Rockets) The way I see it, if some people were so good at evaluating talent they should be an NBA scout. Let them make the decisions, let's see how it pans out.

9. kturner77

kturner77 Member

by the way, I agree with Stevie... :)

10. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

I remember NY drafted a midget from SC last year, Bockman? How did that turn out?

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'll be happy if Morey turns rafer into something. boo to alston. yay to another pg who can put the ball in the bucket.

12. shivalrous

shivalrous Member

With the Rockets performance in the draft, Rick Adelman definitely has his work cut out for him. :(

13. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

Spike likes him

14. TheHangover

TheHangover Member

Why didn't we take Stanko Barac? Best NBA name since Boniface N'Dong.

15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Chad Ford writes:

"Brooks is the first real surprise of the draft. He has great quickness and can score the ball, but he is undersized and plays out of control at times. More importantly, how does he fit in Houston? With Mike James, Rafer Alston and Luther Head on the roster, Brooks will be stuck at the end of the bench."

16. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Aren't the rockets always getting credit for all the time and energy they put into researching the draft? Why then do they always pick crappy people?

They'd be better off just doing what "the experts say". ....... they'd be better off.

17. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

no one gets fired for mock drafts. it's morey's balls on the line so i could care less what mock drafts think.

i'm not going to hold past drafts against him because he wasn't the one making those selections. we'll see soon enough who was right.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That one draft can't be the answer whenever management does anything "unexpected"...

What about Rodrick Rhodes?

What about Mirsad Turkcan?

What about Bryce Drew?

What about Boki Nachbar? (never developed for Houston)

What about Luther Head?

Just because Horry (and then Cassell) went on to have great careers back when the draft wasn't as watered down with fringe international prospects or as many underclassman (and less teams overall) doesn't mean that every time the Rockets do something questionable, everybody should bremain at ease.

19. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

Conley vs Brooks

Similarity: Quickness
    Difference: In the NBA, Conley can play, Brooks can't. Brooks is a D-leaguer.

20. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

Not true, the fellow we draft next #54 will be sitting at the end of the bench.