1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Rockets Keeping Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4930502.html

Rockets take Oregon's Brooks in first round

The Rockets saw what they wanted and nothing else mattered.

They did concern themselves with their roster and its glut of players shorter than the general manager. They did not consider needs or positions. They put no weight in what was expected or where their choice might have still been available.

They wanted Aaron’s Brooks’ explosive quickness, and as stunning a pick as he was, when they had their turn in the NBA Draft at No. 26, they grabbed him with their first-round pick Thursday.

“We like his speed, which in today’s NBA we know works,” Rockets director of scouting Dean Cooper said. “If you look around the league at the point guards who has success lately (ellipses) in Tony Parker and T.J. Ford, Chris Paul, guys like that, speed with the no hand-checking rule, speed in those situations we think is valuable. With the way Coach (Rick) Adelman is going to play with open offense and seems and those types of things, we think speed is very valuable.

“He shot very well this year. He has some NBA type shots, runner shots and things like that that apply to our game.”

The Rockets also acquired the 31st pick of the draft for a future second round pick and cast and selected Purdue forward Carl Landry.

2. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Exactly what Im thinking. I think the Rox might have scored a player that most teams were keeping under wraps and under the radar hoping they can pick a PF early and he would still be on the board. I am gonna go with my hunch that they are gonna trade away a couple of the guards and Brooks is gonna be one of the hidden gems of this draft when all is said and done. If nothing else he is two inches shorter than Rafer and he still finishes stronger in the paint not to mention the guy is a mini Steve Novak from long range.

Go Rockets!!!!

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Well with this pick Morey proves himself brillant or a dumb ass, nobody saw this coming. I'll give Morey the benefit of the doubt that he was the best available at 26 but I have my doubts. He'll give up as many points as he scores because of his height.

4. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Span is quick too.

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

Well, Brooks is a 22 year old senior and Landry is 23. So, if they can't contribute next year, they're not ever going to contribute.

6. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

I hope the management sees something we don't see, and pulls a "Manu" for us. But given the history I doubt :(

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

V-Span and Rafer can start packing their bags.

8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

i hate the blazers
    2005 they took jack
    2006 they took roy
    2007 they took mcroberts
    whey they keep talking those that i wanted the most

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

i'm confused.. you say
    draft the best player, then
    mcroberts, spitter, & big baby were passed up because they didn't fit? (did you just imply that they were the best available but they just did not fit?)

10. conquistador#11

:( That's why the spurs are a pretty good team.

11. shivalrous

shivalrous Member

How is Landry at 6-7 248 lbs going to address our PF needs? :confused:

12. Asian Sensation

I went to UO so I got to watch Brooks play all 4 years and I think he will surprise many people who aren't too familiar with him or Pac-10 ball. Especially this last year he exploded and became a leader. He's lightning quick, can distribute, nice handles, score in bunches and has fire. Whoever compared him to Leandro Barbosa part II is not far off.

Sure we may have reached a bit for the guy but just because "NBADRAFT.NET" has him going in the late 1st early 2nd doesn't mean that's really where he should go. I like the pick a lot! Now get rid of that scrub JL3 and trade Rafer!

13. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

are u somehow implying that rafer is one of the faster PG's in the league?

14. tested911

tested911 Member

That is great !!! see guys Morey knows what he's doing he is drafting for the future so maybe in 3-4 years this guy will be a great role player...

Now lets see Yao's age + 3-4 years = 29 or 30 :confused: hmmmm

Tracy's age + 3-4 years = 31 or 32 :confused: double Hmmmmm

Now maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but woudn't that be a bad thing by then? Yao + age = more slow, more prone to injuries Tracy + age = more jump shots :mad: because he doesn't attack the basket to save his life , and more injuries because of age , + possiblity of a steel rod supporting his back...

Yes the future is set....

15. The Brian

The Brian Member

hmm...so...

damn. :mad:

16. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

One of Brooks' strengths is his quick lateral movement which allows him to stay in front of quicker point guards. He's also pretty strong for his frame and has quick hands. Granted he isn't going to do much if Billups or Deron is posting him up, but he'll be able to cut down on penetration.

17. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

6'7.75" without shoes
    suit him up with a pair of shox
    he can be 6'9" in shoes

18. goyao11

goyao11 Member

so you want a point trio of mike james, aaron brooks, and john Lucas? Hmm... i guess the HouRox would then have the most unstable, erratic, ballhogging, and shothappy point guard trio in the history of the nba... Cant wait till next year :p

19. tested911

tested911 Member

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think Lucas, V-span, and possibly Head are gone. Barring a trade, James/Alston are going to take the PG minutes, with James sliding to the 2 if Brooks can earn some minutes. If Bonzi really does get it together, Head may be trade bait.