1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Rockets Keeping Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 28, 2007.

1. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

With all the negativity I read on here sometimes it is refreshing to see all these comments in light of how well Brooks and Landry are playing.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Did rockets get new scouts this year or is Morey's formula really this good? :eek: Thta's two for two in drafts. :D

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Not to rain on the party, but last night was an example why I don't really trust a rookie not named Sam Cassel to run the show. He didn't look as comfortable against the defending champs as he usually does. The offense wasn't doing well while he was in and had to jack up contested shots. This is why I still think we need a vet like Steve Francis or Mike James for games like this one. Brooks is great but like all rookies, they will make mistakes.

4. MONON

MONON Member

Cassell was running along at about the same clip his rookie year until an injury forced Rudy to throw him to the wolves.

5. blender

blender Member

I saw two things happening with Brooks. Jacques Vaughan did a good job defending him and matched him well speedwise. I haven't seen any other backup point guard trying to hassle Brooks as much before.

The other thing was when Brooks was playing with McGrady, he would often bring the ball up and then immediately pass it off to McGrady, who would then dribble some more before passing it to another player or taking the quick shot.
    But because of this, the shot clock would be near the 10 second mark by the time the ball got to a player other than Brooks or McGrady. The offensive set would then be rushed and the end result would be poorer shots.

It didn't happen all the time, but enough to be noticeable.

6. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

His logic is Brooks = Fast, FastER, FastEST on the team. It does make sense for him :rolleyes:

7. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Well done.

There are good reasons to resurrect some old threads. I hope some people including the ESPN ace :rolleyes: , reassess their GM skills. At least our boys here don't stake their livelihood on their draft day assessments. :)

btw, what's really remarkable is it's the easy road to pick who the general consensus believes. Then, if the decision goes south you can always say you picked who you were supposed to and people really wouldn't complain much. But then you'll only be as good as the average team. It's tough to go your own way and take a huge risk.

BTW, I hope DM is able to build a network that recognzes foreign talent like the Spurs have... repeatedly. Seems like there is still much foreign talent that flies under the NBA radar (or is at least undervalued).

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

How about that thread from early in the season where you disagreed with my assessment that it would be hard for the Rockets to crack the top 8 in the West?

9. Cohen

Heh... a little early to be claiming success?

I admit I glanced at your current 2-star 'quitter' thread.

If I'm wrong at the end of the season I can live with that, but I sure don't expect to see you falling back on the bandwagon later this season ... and sadly for you this team has recently shown some signs of teamwork on offense.

10. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

love it.

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

^^^
    Seriously... I think such loudspoken pessimists sacrifice their right to be happy with team success later in the season.

It's almost like they would rather be right than have the Rockets season go well.

You are not a real Rockets fan, brooksball. You are a poser.

12. beachboys

beachboys Member

I agree, when mcgrady on the court, he spoilt the tempo. He hold the ball too often and no body know what is he going to do next. This happen while steave francis on the court also. Because of him, they can't play what they are capable to do.

13. blender

blender Member

Actually, I think I overgeneralized in my previous post. Looking back, the Brooks-and-McGrady tandem didn't show the problems I noted during late third/early fourth quarter. Adelman had McGrady playing more of a point guard while Brooks played shooting guard. Much like McGrady and Head did last season, but better IMO because of Brooks' passing ability.

McGrady had no problem bringing the ball up against Tony Parker, while Brooks used his speed to weave through the defense and get himself free. And having both of them in at the same time made for better and sharper passes all around with high energy Landry and Scola benefitting from them.

So I take back what I wrote. The Brooks and McGrady backcourt could be very interesting for us in future games.

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

you forgot newly...

brooks is doing well, but imo, these past two games, he wasn't doing that good. he hesitates before a shot when he's wide open, then he misses. and sometime like rafer, he just goes happy shooting, and just shoots. he doesn't know what shots to take, and what shots not to take. i remember against the spurs, he had an easy reverse lay up, but decided to pass it to mcgrady at the corner, with bowen pretty close to him. mcgrady was open, but brooks should have just made that lay-up.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

What analysis. What knowledge. What bravery.

16. Cohen

What a lonely post.

;)

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Indeed. Life as a B-Ball visionary is tough, and you know what they say about "the top." :p

But if his minutes keep falling, I will look dumb like usual. :)

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is there something about alliterated nicknames that causes their users to become self-proclaimed visionaries?

;)

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Exactly. He is a BOF.

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

everytime i see B-Bob post, I always look for another post by Rocksteady