1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official: Rockets amnestying Luis Scola

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Nets do not have cap space to make an offer, Spurs probably dont as well, but I dont know that for a fact

Its why I posted the CBA FAQ section on it pages ago, seems nobody is reading it.

2. mic

mic Contributing Member

But why do we have to take back their ****ty contracts? I felt like we were with ones with the upper hand in this situation, but every move we make REEKS of desperation.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

Cap space more valuable to the Rockets than second round picks. Plus the other GMs know all about Morey's desperation to land any kind of star. Different price to do business for Morey.

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Because you know the trade right?

5. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

We could trade Scola for picks to a team under the cap who was willing to use that cap space for Scola. Problem is no team under the cap wants to trade for him. Now we could trade him to a team over the cap but we would have to take back equal contracts and in order to keep our cap flexability we seem to be unwilling to do that.

6. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I would love to chunk a basketball to this idiots face. This guy needs to stop messing my productivity. Im on twitter and clutchfans every 15 min.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

So if we traded Scola to a team for future draft picks, we wouldn't be gaining the same amount of cap space as we would by amnestying him?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Picks, our rookies, taking back contracts, the Magic won't get everything but that is the upper hand. We can sacrifice cap space for keep a rookie or two.

It reeks of desperation because well...we are desperate. .500 basketball with no playoffs for 3 straight years does that.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Spurs re-signed their free agents and used their mini-MLE to sign Nando De Colo. So no cap space for the Spurs.

10. mic

mic Contributing Member

I don't see why we would amnesty Scola if we weren't planning to absorb ****ty contracts.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Pay attention to this

Lotta people not understanding how the amnesty clause works

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Might be out of context. Here's another Orlando beat writer's tweet on the same comments:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Asked if he knows what D12 wants to do now, Hennigan said, "That's not necessarily true."</p>&mdash; Josh Robbins (@JoshuaBRobbins) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/status/223556450520285184" data-datetime="2012-07-12T23:16:25+00:00">July 12, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. The current environment (as in, not many teams under the cap) means it's unlikely we'd be able to trade Scola without still taking contracts back.

14. ASTROCKETEXANS

Although we are getting bad contracts with Dwight, we have more talent with the young guys as long as we don't give too many away. We should remember that even though they are bad contracts theses are still NBA players so do it and go from there.

1 person likes this.
  15. mig0s

mig0s Member

man we couldn't have traded scola?

16. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I was hoping Scola would get picked up by the Pacers on the waiver wire, since they have cap space and are borderline contenders, but they have David West for 1 more year.

We would have to trade him to a team with cap space to absorb him. It's a moot point now. Not many teams with that much cap space are in win now mode, so they don't need Scola.

17. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Not familiar with the amnesty clause. Can we pick him back up if we're still under the cap by then?

18. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

so when Dwight gets here in a trade....do you sign OJ Mayo so we can have a 2 guard and have Richardson come off the bench

19. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

no, no we can't

20. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

The West can be had...The only real competition is the Lakers, OKC, and the one year older Spurs.